Talk

Advanced search

Can I sunbathe at 16 weeks

(14 Posts)
Ghost88 Wed 14-Aug-19 15:46:24

Im going on holiday in 2 weeks to Gran Canaria.

Somebody at work just said you cant sunbathe when pregnant -

Obviously I wont sit in the sun all day and fry, but I just wondered if anybody else has been abroad and sunbathed when pregnant?

Contraceptionismyfriend Wed 14-Aug-19 15:48:13

Yes and yes. Enjoy the holiday. I found that I burned a bit easier but not anything extreme.

PixieLumos Wed 14-Aug-19 15:50:24

Somebody at work just said you cant sunbathe when pregnant -

You’re only 16 weeks, you’ve still got quite a while left to go - learn to ignore all the somebodys.

secretlyhermione Wed 14-Aug-19 16:26:37

I just had a two week holiday in the sun and am 30 weeks pregnant. Lots of heavily pregnant ladies enjoying their socks off! I stayed in the shade when out of the water and it was heavenly. Enjoy your holiday, it will be absolutely fine.

Bambamber Wed 14-Aug-19 16:44:57

Yes you can sunbathe, just remember your skin can become more sensitive when pregnant

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Wed 14-Aug-19 16:49:13

You can sit in the sun, but as PP have said your skin may be more sensitive and you might burn faster than you normally would. Just take sensibile precautions: wear a decent SPF, keep hydrated and don’t overheat.

Enjoy your holiday!

Contraceptionismyfriend Wed 14-Aug-19 17:00:33

Also if it were dangerous then no babies would be born in those hot countries.

Topseyt Wed 14-Aug-19 17:06:52

Of course you can, using common sense.

As you say, you aren't simply going to fry. Use sun cream, make sure you have shade etc. and be very careful of the midday sun.

How does your friend think that women who live in hot countries ever manage to have babies?

Billballbaggins Wed 14-Aug-19 17:09:51

I went on holiday while I was pregnant (about 10 weeks so very early) and found my skin had become SO sensitive to the sun so by all means enjoy the sun but use a high UV rated sunscreen. I’d never had the problem before I was pregnant but the sun brought me out in a rash within minutes it’s was awful prickly heat basically. Anyway, just be aware it could be an issue but other than taking a bit of extra care enjoy yourself

sotired2 Wed 14-Aug-19 17:18:33

i did but had to be more careful as not only skin more sensitive but I got heat stroke easier so keep hydrated etc.

EdWinchester Wed 14-Aug-19 17:33:42

Oh my days. Of course you can!

Wiltshirelass2019 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:46:50

I didn’t because my midwife told me ‘it’s like boil in the bag’ - her words

sycamore54321 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:48:52

Yes but avoid overheating and be extra careful with sun protection as others have said - pregnancy makes you more susceptible to sunburn.

And sorry to be a bore, but have you declared your pregnant to your travel insurance (I’m assuming you’re going overseas if sunbathing is guaranteed)

DamnShesaSexyChick Wed 14-Aug-19 18:52:05

Absolutely, I had a fantastic tan when I was 18 weeks and had a week in Spain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »