Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

UTI tests clear but still stings a bit! Any advice? Poss TMI

(12 Posts)
becklespeckle Thu 02-Aug-07 16:40:53

Sorry if too much info but had a suspected UTI last week, lots of stinging and a lump of green snot-like goo. Went to see MW and she tested urine while I was there and there was something or other in it that suggested possible infection.
Dropped off another sample on Tuesday morning in a container they gave me with some powder stuff in it and it has come back fine! No infection (phew).
I am wondering if I just managed to flush the infection out myself by drinking a fair bit? Very relieved not to need anti-biotics but trouble is it still stings a bit - any advice anyone?
Also had to do a swab test but no results back for that yet.

becklespeckle Thu 02-Aug-07 16:41:31

Sorry, forgot to say I am 19 weeks pregnant!

(blame it on hormones...)

Naetha Thu 02-Aug-07 16:53:38

Let's hope it was the tail end of an infection that you'd managed to flush through.

Bladder problems are no fun at all - I've had interstitial cystitis for 3 years now, and its a horrible condition (imagine constant cystitis) that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. If your urinary pain continues for more than a couple of weeks then go and see your doctor and get them to do another check for bacteria in your urine.

becklespeckle Thu 02-Aug-07 16:58:18

Ouch that sounds awful Naetha! Hoping it was just the tail end, I think I'd had it for over a week before I saw the MW (cos I was away). Thanks for the advice too, will def go back if it doesn't go away!

missbumpy Thu 02-Aug-07 17:01:40

Naetha, what's interstitial cystitis? I think I might have it! They diagnosed me with a UTI back at the beginning of June, gave me antibios, didn't clear up, gave me more antibios, didn't clear up, gave me even more antibios, didn't clear up! Eventually I just refused to take any more antibios and tried to sort myself out by drinking ridiculous amounts of water. I do feel a bit better but still seem to need to wee all the time. Not sure if it's just because I'm pg or if it's because of the UTI.

Naetha Thu 02-Aug-07 17:04:27

More information here:

http://www.cobfoundation.org/

wheelsonthebus Thu 02-Aug-07 17:20:23

i had an unspecified uti almost throughout pregnancy (they always could not find something, but i knew something was up as had constant cystitis symptoms) and took antibiotics almost throughout on advice of my doc (untreated utis can lead to premature birth). was worried sick about it, but it had no averse effects; my dd is now 3 and fine. drank loads of water too but didn't help much

becklespeckle Thu 02-Aug-07 18:13:49

Leaving one untreated was what I was worried about Wheelsonthebus. I am quite worried about anything going wrong with this pg so if still getting stinging after the weekend may speak to MW again. Got a scan on Tues, not sure if they test urine at 20 week scan but don't suppose it would hurt to take a sample along.

lisad123 Thu 02-Aug-07 22:13:06

Its not always possible to grow the infection so although results said clear isnt 100% foolproff. I had one and like you went off to MW and showed lucaloze (i cant spell) so off it went for testing only to come back clear, so sent home. However, 2 weeks later it had spread to my kidneys and was very painful. Markers were all up in my blood tests and 2 urine samples came back with cells in. I ended up having to stay 3 days as was on antibiotic drip and couldnt styop being sick

I dont think its that common to spread to kidneys but would say if you still have stinging next week go back again and get retested. Good luck
lisa

vole3 Fri 03-Aug-07 03:41:26

Cranberry juice is good at clearing and preventing UTI. 1 x 200 ml glass twice a day and if you are allowing yourself occasional alcohol, can mix it with vodka ;)

Also I'm sure you know the obvious things like wiping front to back, cotton underwear that isn't too tight, unperfumed bathing products and have you recently changed washing powder or go over to non-bio and make sure things have decent rinse cycle.

Apart from that, just drink LOADS of water, about 1 pt an hour whilst you're awake for a day or so. You'll spend lots of time on the loo, but should flush things through.

becklespeckle Sat 04-Aug-07 16:26:02

Thanks for your advice guys!
Awful about it spreading to your kidneys Lisad, will def speak to MW on Mon if getting any stinging still. I am sure I have had it for about 2 weeks (if it has not gone) so probably best not to leave it until scan day mid-week. Does seem a bit better yesterday and today, only stings at the end now. Did try cranberry juice last week, I do really hate the stuff though so actually had cranberry and raspberry - would that still be okay do you think?

vole3 Sun 05-Aug-07 07:06:51

As long as it has the cranberry part it should be fine. Go for the ocean spray rather than supermarket own label as it has a higher % of the actual cranberry juice in the blend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now