Talk

Advanced search

The Positive Birth Company digi pack - would people (honestly) recommend it?

(19 Posts)
Sandrine1982 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:22:25

Hi. I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant and I'm looking into checking out the hypnobirthing techniques (a little late ... admittedly). I don't want to do any group courses at this stage because they're way too expensive and the dates don't work for us anyway, but I was wondering if the PBC digital pack was any good? I'm starting mat leave next week so I'm hoping to have time to go through it.

So, for those who have tried it, would you recommend it? Is it interesting to watch / listen to? I must say I'm a very pragmatic, down-to-earth person who doesn't normally do the fluffy hippie stuff :-)

Also what is the accent of the digital content, British or American?

Thanks ladies xx

finlaythecat Fri 02-Aug-19 09:29:05

Yes! I would definitely recommend it. The content is all videos by Siobhan, the founder of PBC, so there’s no annoying American voices!! The best bit for me was the science and medical stuff, so I knew exactly what was happening and why. The breathing techniques were great too, and you get access to a FB group of positive birth stories which was great. Not airy fairy hippy at all!! Some of the best money I’ve spent!

Weathergirl1 Fri 02-Aug-19 10:22:43

Haven't watched the digital pack but have just finished her book and I really liked the tone of it - totally not patronising or fluffy. If the digital pack is anything like the book, I think it'll be really good.

boodles101 Fri 02-Aug-19 13:03:39

I bought the Digi pack but haven't had babies yet, will also be having a C-section now. But I did find it very informative, especially the science behind labour. It's gives you a variety of techniques which you can chose whether to use them or not. I didn't find it hippy at all. I'd definitely recommend it over paying for an expensive course.
I will be using some of the techniques to stay calm during my elcs, or if I happen to go into labour before that date.

Sandrine1982 Fri 02-Aug-19 15:59:26

That sounds great, thank you for your replies! x

Triskaidekaphilia Fri 02-Aug-19 15:59:47

I'm still going through the videos but I think it's been useful, I got it when it was on sale for £18 and I would say it's been worth it. I like the breathing techniques and also the scientific explanations of how labour works.

imtheonlyupsieone Fri 02-Aug-19 16:34:10

Sorry to jump in with this but do you think it would be worth it for a second pregnancy, if I have already done hypnobirthing before? I already know all of the science stuff they teach you in hypnobirthing and some of the techniques. I suppose it wold be more as a refresher, but I'm not sure if it's worth investing in this course or just trying to refresh myself from a book or YouTube videos x

c0ffeebean Fri 02-Aug-19 16:57:21

@imtheonlyupsieone I bought it during my second pregnancy as an alternative to face-to-face antenatal classes (harder to find time for with a toddler around). No regrets - both myself and OH found it really useful, as a refresher and learning a few new things too. She's also released a post-partum digi pack which I'm thinking of getting because the first has been so useful.

EllyNC291 Fri 02-Aug-19 19:27:30

My husband and I really got a lot from it and would definitely recommend - it’s not hippy at all and it’s very easy and quick to work through! We learnt loads and I feel so good about birth now!

Emelene Fri 02-Aug-19 19:28:12

I used it for my birth and I can't recommend it enough! It was so helpful. smile

homley Fri 02-Aug-19 19:40:24

Unable to comment on the digi pack but currently reading her book, I love it! Her tone and the science really does appeal to me so if the book is anything to go by I think it will be good, I am going to have to have a search and purchase.

Hunkyd0ry Fri 02-Aug-19 19:55:00

@imtheonlyupsieone
I’m using it for my second pregnancy. Looked into hypnobirthing a bit during the first one and everything was good. This time I bought the pack and I really like it. Getting lots of extra info and I feel like I have strategies this time for going into birth.
I’ve also bought the app “Freya” which I plan to use as something to focus on during labour. You also get MP3s to listen to so I plan to use those too.

Contraceptionismyfriend Fri 02-Aug-19 20:02:22

I've just had my third and used the digi pack. It wasn't really for me. But I got it for £18 and can't complain for that price. But I am so relieved that I never went for the £150 face to face classes!

firstimemamma Fri 02-Aug-19 20:10:18

I did it and loved it!

Siobhan Miller (positive birth company) does free YouTube videos which are a bit like a taster of the digital pack. Why don't you search for and watch a few to get a feel of things before parting with any cash?

Good luck with everything smile

imtheonlyupsieone Fri 02-Aug-19 20:49:12

@firstimemamma that's a good idea I'll have a watch of those first. I also see they do a 14 day money back guarantee so that's good.

@Hunkyd0ry thanks for the app heads up, it looks promising.

Kescilly Fri 02-Aug-19 20:58:32

Came to say I was happy I bought the pack. I ended up with a c-section but had thought I’d have a VB originally and this helped me with my anxiety.

I do have an “annoying American voice” though, so my opinion probably isn’t worth much!

gothicsprout Fri 02-Aug-19 21:05:25

I got it for 2nd pregnancy after using the Mindful Hypnobirthing book/MP3s for first birth. Honestly I preferred my first book, but the digi pack was a useful refresher given I didn’t have as much time to practice second time round with a toddler rushing around.

I did really like the Freya app though, very useful.

Imtheonlyupsieone Wed 11-Sep-19 22:33:36

So I just watched the positive birth company YouTube videos to see if I might like the digi pack and I think it's safe to say the answer is no 😅

So patronising, and inaccurate. Basically telling women birth is only painful if you aren't doing hypnobirthing properly - I call bullshit on that. The whole rhetoric around "you can have a positive birth if you want to and if you do these techniques properly and aren't afraid" is absolute nonsense and so damaging to women who don't have a straightforward birth, leaving them to feel it was somehow their fault. WHY can't hypnobirthing practitioners be more realistic - the techniques CAN help you cope better with pain, anxiety, and birth, and they may be able to help you enjoy birth more IF you are having a straightforward birth with appropriate support. They CANNOT ensure you have a straightforward, or pain-free, or intervention-free, or "positive", or enjoyable birth.

Can ANYONE recommend a good hypnobirthing resource that is a bit more realistic/balanced about these things and is less likely to make me roll my eyes?

BottomleyPottsSpots2 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:44:00

Hmm, I read the book and found it pretty balanced although necessarily positive in tone. I've given birth 3 times before, all in hospital and certainly not intervention-free, and didn't find it particularly unrealistic - perhaps the videos are different? My DH is a medic, not remotely fluffy / woo, and also didn't have any issues with the book. Perhaps it's easier to get into the nitty gritty and details / caveats in the book than a video, I don't know? I'm buying the digital pack this weekend so will report back on it ...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »