Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling very fed up, a week overdue and want this baby out, any tips???

(28 Posts)
melrose Tue 31-Jul-07 22:24:17

So today I am a week overdue, the midwife came and gave me a sweep yesterday and is insisting I go in on Sunday afternoon to be induced (term +12) I had been planning a home birth and so do not want to go into hospital.Sweep was not great as she said cervix still closed and long

I have eaten a pineapple, had a clary sage bath and am writing this bouncing on my birthing ball, but no signs of any movement, My DS was 14 days overdue (went into labour morning i was meant to be induced) so not feeling very positive.

Just feeling very fed up, I know I should just acept that what will be will be!!!

melrose Tue 31-Jul-07 22:30:00

Surely someone out there can try and cheer me up??

kittywits Tue 31-Jul-07 22:31:08

If there's nothing wrong with you or baby for heavens sake don't be induced.
You baby will come when it's ready.

My last home birth (3months ago) was when the baby was 18 days over. We were all fine and it was quick and easy. My other babies have been 17 days over.
I'm too tired to go into details but hopefully others will come along and give you the support and info you need.
You do not have to be induced, no one can force you to do this, just hang on in there

entropy Tue 31-Jul-07 22:33:33

Don't torture yourself eating pineapple! you have to eat 8 in one go to get enough of the enzyme to do anything according to the scientific studies I read (after living on bloody pineapples for a week!) I was a week overdue this time last year they induced me at 2 weeks over... Sometimes they just like it in there, for what its worth I regret being bullied into the induction. just do what you feel is right.

good luck!

melrose Tue 31-Jul-07 22:33:35

What do I do, just refuse?? I said that I did not want to be induced (to 2 different midwives -mine is on hols) and they basically said I had to be, can I still insist on home birth if they want me to go in??

Midwife who came today (they had to check my urine as fnny result yesterday) has agreed ro come and do another sweep on Friday, but not sure they work!

kittywits Tue 31-Jul-07 22:37:27

Listen. They cannot make you go to be induced, they cannot, it'a as simple a that. they cabbot make you do anything you don't want to. They can suggest, bully cojole, but in the end you have the right to chose.
When I got to 14 days over I would appease the mIdwives by going for checks at the hospital, monitoring, just to make surethat baby is ok.
if you and baby are ok , then wait. Trut that your baby will come when you are both ready. Say to them that if there is no medical problem that you do NOT want to be induced. be nice, be polite, say no.

TheBlonde Tue 31-Jul-07 22:37:39

You can refuse
They can't force you into anything

kittywits Tue 31-Jul-07 22:38:01

excuse typos

kittywits Tue 31-Jul-07 22:39:07

hello the blonde where have you been ?

melrose Tue 31-Jul-07 22:39:38

Thanks Kittywits. I think there is part of me that is still feeling slightly jittery about the home birth (if one more person responds to this information with the words "are you mad?" I swear I will hit them)

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Tue 31-Jul-07 22:40:32

You can insist on whatever you want, including home birth, and certainly don't have to be induced if you don't want to be (although you may have to stamp your feet very hard & possibly have a fist fight with the midwife )

No one can make medical decisions on your behalf unless you are deemed not to have mental capacity (ie. hefty mental health probs) or are sectioned (even heftier mental health probs)

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Tue 31-Jul-07 22:42:39

BTW, I used to know a woman who went 4 weeks over her due date. Fought tooth & nail with the madwives & medics, then gave birth to a (admittedly rather big & hairy) baby at home.

kittywits Tue 31-Jul-07 22:43:50

My last two were home births. Bloody fantastic experiences. If you feel confident and strong then do it. You know that the chances are everything will be wonderful and you can snuggle up with your lovely snuffly newborn in your own bed, drinking tea from your own cup, having a bath in your own bath etc.
Midwives have their own strange protocol and experiences. Stick to your guns. Contact the aims site for reasurrance

melrose Tue 31-Jul-07 22:47:21

Thank you! I am making the right decision and really want to have this baby at home, hated most of my last labour, especially the being in hospital bit. Does not help that my brother and wife arive from Australia tomorrow for a 0 day visut, meant to be coming up to see me next Thursday, so I would rather like to ahve produced by then so I can see them, a not likely to again for a couple of years!!

melrose Tue 31-Jul-07 22:47:54

So are there any real ways of getting things going or is it just a case of waiting!!

kittywits Tue 31-Jul-07 22:50:17

Nothing has ever worked for me, but I know some people swear by sex!!

melrose Tue 31-Jul-07 22:52:19

Tried that last Wednesday! Not the best I've ever had!! In he words of my DH "Shall we try and poke it out then!"

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Tue 31-Jul-07 23:06:59

Sex & curry are the old favourites, aren't they?

Failing that, castor oil! (joking, please don't)

cantseemyfeet Wed 01-Aug-07 00:05:05

Hi Melrose,
I am a week over and being hauled in next Monday to be induced if nothing has happened by then!
Dont want inducing but am so tired of waddling now, especially now its getting warmer.
I have had currys 3 days in a row and have eaten a pineapple tonight, going for ANOTHER curry tommorow night to see if anything works. Have been drinking RLT for weeks and in desperation went to the health food shop today and asked if anything would help and she offered me CASTOR OIL! NOT that desperate, I thought that they werent supposed to give that to pregnant women!! I was offered a sweep yesterday but the sweep I had with last baby didnt work so didnt feel like putting myself through that again. Does anyone know if clary sage ever works? Was going to get it today but it was expensive and didnt want to waste money if it didnt work

kittywits Wed 01-Aug-07 06:55:35

47y5gtt4gtref4r4f3v4rvevfrr3e4t543t5v4t56y5ytuyukiy7kuki,

Toddler typing!

Ime, nothing will make it come out before it's ready and that's the problem with chemical inductions. If they insist on forcing out a baby that's not ready then the chances are you're in for a pretty drawn out labour

Leati Wed 01-Aug-07 07:01:33

http://www.howtodothings.com/family-and-relationships/a1913-how-to-induce-labor.html

And try to walk alot.

Leati Wed 01-Aug-07 07:07:23

http://pregnancy.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Natural_Ways_to_Induce_Labor

One more!

I know that induction sucks but it is safer than carrying the baby to far past your due date. Most pysicians will not let you go past two weeks because of the increased chance of the placenta seperating and putting mom and baby at risk.

Good Luck!!!!!

Lizzzombie Wed 01-Aug-07 07:34:18

Oh you poor thing. I went 10 days over and was climbing the walls. I guess you are already drinking raspberry leaf tea?
Fingers crossed natural labour starts before your induction. My contractions started the morning of my induction, so they gave me a sweep and left me to it. 2 days of contractions later, and 12 hours of labour, I had my baby! Was fking knackered! Get as much sleep as you can now. In fact, dont leave your bed unless its to get more chocolate. Good luck x

melrose Thu 02-Aug-07 14:48:53

You obviously helped to put me in the right frame of mond as contractions started 3 hours after my last post!! Baby Oliver born at home at 9.45 yesterday morning. Thansk Kittywitts for makinbg e feel so positive about my decision to have a home birth, it was a fantastic experience!

TheBlonde Thu 02-Aug-07 17:45:57

Huge congrats Melrose!! Well done

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now