Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone paid for a GBS test privately?

(38 Posts)
HonorMatopoeia Tue 31-Jul-07 19:55:51

I had GBS during my 1st pg and had antibiotics during labour etc, all was well. I'd just presumed that once you had it, it was always there, but now I know it can come and go. Still presumed they'd test me for it during this pg but apparently not. I've been told I can pay for a private test (only £32) but the leaflet says this is a postal service! My mind boggles - do I have to wee in a tube and send it off?!Anyone done this?

barbamama Tue 31-Jul-07 19:58:03

I did this last pg. They send you a kit and you get your midwife to do it (quick swab bit like a smear test, not painful) at one of your routine appointments at around 36 weeks I think it was, you then post it off and I think they send the results back to the mw who lets you know if I remmeber. Anyway, it was no hassle.

tribpot Tue 31-Jul-07 19:58:47

Yep - as barba. Did it privately, very glad I did.

HonorMatopoeia Tue 31-Jul-07 20:07:26

Ahh, makes more sense that the midwife does it! So I could order one in advance and keep it till the 36 week appointment then?

Tutter Tue 31-Jul-07 20:09:28

i did this a couple of weeks ago

did the swabs myself - v easy

barbamama Tue 31-Jul-07 20:24:52

yes I ordered one in advance and just waited until whatever week suggested in the kit - was thinking of doing myself this time so glad to hear that is doable - don't they say a health prefessional has to sign it or something though?

Wilkie Tue 31-Jul-07 20:26:58

I did this. It is two swabs (like cotton buds), one done anally and one done in the front part of the vagina.

My DH did it for me at 37 weeks cos I couldn't reach! You then pop them into some sterile tubes and post off in a postage paid envelope.

HTH

Tutter Tue 31-Jul-07 20:27:00

no, did it myself and posted it off

results back by text (!) a few days later

Wilkie Tue 31-Jul-07 20:27:24

Health professional doesn't have to sign off

barbamama Tue 31-Jul-07 20:28:01

Oh yeah I forgot about the anal one! I wonder if I can reach .....

HonorMatopoeia Tue 31-Jul-07 20:33:46

(Sorry - got caught up reading the immaculate conception thread!)
Anal swab.........
Oh my God- I don't think I could ask my Dh to do it and I don't think I could stretch that far round (limited movement due to SPD!)

Wilkie Tue 31-Jul-07 20:34:35

My friend had SPD and managed it. Do you not have a good mate that could do it for you?

If you ask your nurse or midwife I am sure they would do it for you.

HonorMatopoeia Tue 31-Jul-07 20:36:41

I'm sure one of my friends wouldn'tmind, but can't help thinking I might die of 'shame'! I'm one of those who'd let a stranger (medical only!) poke me wherever but when it comes to people I know, it's a different matter!

Wilkie Tue 31-Jul-07 20:37:31

See - I'm just not bothered (having said that I don't wander around showing random people my chocolate starfish!!

HonorMatopoeia Tue 31-Jul-07 20:43:51

PMSL !!
I'll have to discuss the swab with Dh and guage his reaction......

Wilkie Tue 31-Jul-07 20:44:23

My DH was rather too eager thinking about it...

Tutter Tue 31-Jul-07 20:46:57

it really isn't that difficult! i'd had plenty of practice applying my pile cream...

HonorMatopoeia Tue 31-Jul-07 20:48:26

Now pile cream I have done!!
Bloomin'computer won't let me email the people I need to to order the test Will have to wait till tomorrow and use Dh's laptop!

Tutter Tue 31-Jul-07 20:49:06

i rang them

MrsRecycle Tue 31-Jul-07 20:50:44

Oh fame at last - I was responsible for instigating this test and asking that gbss investigate a lab that would be able to offer if privately which they duly did and we now have. Am so pleased you are getting it done - well worth the money. Now if only we could get this done routinely on the nhs instead of their crap 50% accurate test that they offer IF you've had gbs before.

When I had mine done last year, my mil did my swabs she is a gynae nurse though

Tutter Tue 31-Jul-07 20:52:10

ooh well done mrsr

a positive turned out to be by the by for me - labour was waaaay too fast for them to get more than the first shot of abs through ds2 fine though

Wilkie Tue 31-Jul-07 20:52:46

Show off Tutter!!

<<<Wilkie trundles off muttering about her 26 hour bloody labour>>>

Tutter Tue 31-Jul-07 20:53:26

sorry wilkie

[insincere]

HonorMatopoeia Tue 31-Jul-07 20:53:57

Well done MrsRecycle - what a worthy claim to fame!
My midwife didn't even offer me a 50% accurate test, just said they didn't offer them. Mind you, in the same appointment she also told me that my hospital no longer offers visits, there are no more relaxation classes and I have few other hospitals to choose from. Oh joy!

HonorMatopoeia Tue 31-Jul-07 20:54:57

Ooooo Tutter
DIdn't go 26 hours but was very long and complex!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now