Talk

Advanced search

Aspirin for pre eclampsia

(17 Posts)
Pambo81 Fri 19-Jul-19 19:19:17

Was prescribed 75mg dispersible aspirin to reduce the risk of pre eclampsia. My initial prescription has now ran out and stupidly I thought I would save the nhs money by just buying it from the pharmacy. However the pharmacy said they cant give it to a pregnant lady - it will probably be another 7 days before i can get a prescription.
Has anyone been in this position before? Did you just take the 300mg aspirin and break it up?

Pommes Fri 19-Jul-19 19:21:47

I got 75mg aspirin over the counter while pregnant lots of times. I used Lloyd's pharmacy and explained it was under the instructions of my midwife and consultant. I'd try another pharmacy, but not splitting higher dosage pills OP. I took it religiously but still developed preeclampsia again.

cliffdiver Fri 19-Jul-19 19:28:00

I took it whilst pregnant with DD2 to prevent pre eclampsia, I didn't have a prescription for it - it costs pence!

No, do not break up a larger dosage.

Either:

Take your notes and explain to the pharmacist.

Ask someone else to buy if for you.

Lie and say you're buying it for someone else.

Yaflamingalah Fri 19-Jul-19 19:34:28

I was advised to buy it myself in pregnancy. Never had a problem

butteryellow Fri 19-Jul-19 19:43:32

My pharmacist double-checked the reasons I was being prescribed it, but handed it out no problem.

Can you go and say it's for someone else? Are you definitely supposed to take it all through (I was prescribed it for a reason other than pre-eclampsia risk, and I seem to remember I was supposed to stop taking it towards the end of the pregnancy)

Keyboard91 Fri 19-Jul-19 20:03:32

You can buy it at Asda without being ID’d or anything - it’s where I get mine from at the 75mg tablet dosage xx

Thegirlhasnoname Fri 19-Jul-19 20:06:12

I got mine in wilkos for less than 50p a pack and was never ID’d or stopped because I was pregnant

Blahbeblah Fri 19-Jul-19 20:35:38

The non-disperseable one is on the shelf in boots, it's 75p for 80 odd. Hilariously, only ever got questioned buying it over the counter before I was visibly pregnant, when I had a massive bump no one batted an eye!

Lou573 Fri 19-Jul-19 20:39:03

OP, get someone to buy it for you, or alternatively I just buy it in boots at the self checkout.

MangoM Fri 19-Jul-19 20:50:21

I've been getting mine from Superdrug. The 75mg aspirin is on the normal shelf with other painkillers. They never ask questions.

Pambo81 Fri 19-Jul-19 22:59:06

Thanks everyone for your help - i shall go try a few other places tomorrow. Only looked for it in my local supermarkets.
Does it matter if i have it in tablet form rather than dispersible?

Lexyness Fri 19-Jul-19 23:15:31

I’ve been taking it for past 20weeks., I just buy it in tablet form from home bargains as it’s super cheap in there! Never been questioned. My consultant didn’t seem to mind what type I took as long as I took it - tbh I’d probably throw up trying to take dissolvable ones 🤢

nataliemum25 Fri 19-Jul-19 23:18:49

I get mine from home bargains 75 mg 60p

Shaunieh95 Sat 20-Jul-19 09:58:50

You can buy 75mg over the counter, or you can phone your com midwife who will get you a prescription wrote out.

I had this last year and had no issues getting the correct dose from local chemist.

I'm on aspirin again this time however this time 150mg so 75mgx2 a day. I'll be going to my chemist again if I run out. Xx

Littleduckeggblue Sat 20-Jul-19 10:00:26

I also bought mine from Lloyd's pharmacy. They asked me if the doctor told me to take it and I said yes.

Fatted Sat 20-Jul-19 10:03:59

I had to take it with DS2.

I just bought bog standard aspirin tablets from places like supermarkets, home bargains etc. In Poundworld I used to be able to buy three boxes for a quid and no one batted an eye lid.

stilldontgiveaf Sat 20-Jul-19 10:14:39

I always test as high risk for preeclampsia. Had it with my first, now on my third and they've not given me a prescription. I have to buy it over the counter. My second one I was given them by the hospital.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »