Talk

Advanced search

ECV experiences or baby turning

(10 Posts)
KHR1 Fri 19-Jul-19 17:03:47

Hi,
I'm currently 36+1 weeks and my baby is breech. I saw a consultant today after a growth scan and she has booked me in for an ecv at 37+4 weeks. I know the success rate isn't great but I would like to avoid a c-section if at all possible.

How have people found the ecv? Did it work? Has anyone got any tips for encouraging the baby to turn naturally?

Thanks!

AlwaysColdHands Fri 19-Jul-19 22:36:21

I had attempted ECV 5 years ago, didn’t work & made me extremely anxious.......booked in for csection next day which was fantastically calm, and recovered brilliantly. Opted for a 2nd cesarean this year (even though not breech) because it was such a good experience. Would never choose to undergo an ECV again, personally. Just felt too brutal and interfering.
I had tried spinning babies positions etc for a few weeks before, no joy, but I think I remember reading a thread where some people had found the exercises work. Perhaps search for ‘breech’?
Best of luck 👍🏻

KHR1 Fri 19-Jul-19 22:52:27

@AlwaysColdHands
Thanks for your reply! How far gone were you when you had the c-section for the breech baby (if you don't mind me asking). I've been told I'll have a c-section booked if the ecv doesn't work but not sure when this will be - I should have asked but never thought of it until I left! I've been on the spinning babies website and started some of their exercises but I shall see what else is out there!

Hellosunshine30 Fri 19-Jul-19 23:09:39

I know someone who had one and it went perfect. I then read that it's a 50/50 chance, can be very uncomfortable and sore. I then read something horrible on here about another poster who had an EVC (I won't post it but if you search the comments for evc). I decided to go for a c section, but turns out baby turned and is head down.

resipsa Fri 19-Jul-19 23:15:00

Don't google it! If it works then great. If not ELCS is also great! I was driving etc after 3 weeks, older child started school at 5 weeks - all manageable. So calm compared with VB!

feelingsicknow Fri 19-Jul-19 23:22:12

I had unsuccessful ECV at 36/37 weeks (I think). It was pretty uncomfortable but worth the try IMO.

Baby was not for budging so I elected for a CS. Was booked in for it 39+4 days. That was the earliest they could fit me in and I was pretty anxious about going into labour before then!

CS was great. Would have again if necessary.

AlwaysColdHands Sat 20-Jul-19 06:37:37

@KHR1
Cesarean was day after ECV at 38 +5

She had been breech for weeks, was proper wedged in and they thought she was on the small side so they wanted her out. Turned out ok at 6lbs 7 though

Have a read at cesarean threads on Childbirth board, lots of advice about what to expect/ take 👍🏻

KHR1 Sat 20-Jul-19 08:23:55

Sounds like you all had fairly positive experiences of c-sections! Thank you for all of your replies!

Boofay Sat 20-Jul-19 08:34:19

I had a really positive experience of an ECV. My baby was oblique transverse. Her head was in one of my ribs. I had an ECV around the 37/38wk mark (it was a year or so ago now - heads a little fuzzy on how many weeks pregnant I was). I was completely successful!

So, I'd ignore the national statistics on ECV's and focus on the consultant's personal success rate. The consultant who did my ECV was incredibly talented at this procedure and had a really high success rate. He made me feel comfortable and totally in control of the situation. My baby was scanned continuously throughout the procedure and I was monitored for a good while before and after the ECV to make sure she handled the move well.
The procedure itself was a little uncomfortable, but not unbearable by any stretch of the imagination. If it had have been though, I had the power to say stop.

He popped her head into my cervix and I went away with a follow up appointment booked a week later to check her position. The little madam has popped out again and her head was in my hips, so the consultant did a tiny, mini ECV again and popped her back into position, where she stayed until our very normal vaginal delivery.

My experience of an ECV was very positive. In my opinion I'd say go to the appointment and give it a go. If you want to stop, they'll stop. If it doesn't work, at least you've tried.

Good luck with whatever you do, and whichever birth you have!
Please update us when bubs is here!!
xx

KHR1 Sat 20-Jul-19 09:00:24

@Boofay it's good to see a positive experience of an ecv, so many people on other threads haven't has successes so thank you for sharing! I know it's probably not very comfortable but if like you say you can stop if it gets too much, surely it is less uncomfortable than a c-section? I'd definitely like to give the ecv a go even if it doesn't work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »