Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bizarre belly-button query...

(7 Posts)
sleepfinder Mon 30-Jul-07 15:09:36

I'm in 2nd pregnancy. During 1st one my lovely, tidy inny belly button was slowly pushed out (quite uncomfortably) by month 6.

I'm mid-term, about 22 wks. My belly button has been out practically since day 1.

My query is this - it hurts, is hot, is getting more "out" - seems (when I look at it) to have a life entirely of its own, moving in out, swirling all about.

WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON and is it ok?

It feels tender and it looks like it must be filled with amniotic fluid.

IS THIS NORMAL...?

sleepfinder Mon 30-Jul-07 15:16:19

bump

I am genuinely very worried about this, so any help / anyone who has had experience of this, I'd be so grateful if you could respond...

Mumpbump Mon 30-Jul-07 15:18:09

I would go to the doctors. I don't know, but I guess it could be something like an umbilical hernia. If it hurts, I'd get it checked...

Saturn74 Mon 30-Jul-07 15:18:23

No experience of this, but bumping the thread for you.
If it hurts and is hot, could you have an infection?
Probably best to give your midwives a call and ask them to check it out for you.

RGPargy Mon 30-Jul-07 16:47:52

Try bathing it in tepid salt water twice a day to see if it soothes it a bit. I sometimes get slight discharge from my belly button but salt water soaked cotton buds normally do the trick.

I would try using cotton wool balls or summat tho, as it's sticking out already.

meemeee Mon 30-Jul-07 17:53:13

Hi I had exactley the same thing a few days ago! Im just coming up to 22 weeks as well and my belly button was really tender and sore especially when I touched it. It lasted about 4 days but it seems to have gone now, I was thinking that it was maybe sore muscles or something

Glimmer Mon 30-Jul-07 18:02:05

Hi Sleepfinder. I beleive that your bellybutton is where you were attached to your mother and has no significance for your current pregnancy, i.e. I do not think it is linked to amniotic fluid or similar. I think it's quite common as your belly expands that it turns outward as there is less and less space. You might have caught an infection and cleaning it with salt water etc is probably a good idea. If that doesn't help talk to your MW or doctor. As unpleasant as it sounds, I do not beleive there is any danger for your baby. Take my advice with a little care -- I have no medical degree or anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now