Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy test line not getting dark quickly

(24 Posts)
NikolaPiccola Wed 17-Jul-19 13:04:32

I've posted a lot here over the past week but to put it short, I was 6 days late before I started lightly bleeding. I've had brown discharge on and off since Sunday and until now, though I am not in any pain.

That same Saturday I had the faintest positive line on the test. On Sunday I rang out of hours GP for an opinion and they said that because I'm not in pain or I'm not heavily bleeding then I shouldn't worry too much.

On Monday I rang my own GP and I have an appointment tomorrow for when I'll be estimated to be 6 weeks which the doctor will do testing and refer me for an early scan to see what's up. I took another pregnancy test on Tuesday and it was slightly darker but still faint.

I'm now very anxious because I had so many people warn me that it could be a sign of a miscarriage. I couldn't have ovulated later because we only had sex twice in June around the fertile time. We weren't tracking or anything and my GP did say that a line is a line so clearly, I have conceived.

Why isn't it darker then? I have no pain, no heavy bleeding or clots and my test from Saturday to Tuesday DID get slightly darker.

Has anyone had this where their test was super faint at 10 days late and they still had a healthy pregnancy? sad

nzs2019 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:14:21

Do you have a picture of your test?

NikolaPiccola Wed 17-Jul-19 13:18:07

@nzs2019 I don't think it's that dark on camera. It was confirmed by my sister in person (the second line, I mean) but not everyone has managed to see it on screen.

The first response is Tuesday morning and the one-step strip is Tuesday evening.

MrsEG Wed 17-Jul-19 13:18:14

If you are 10 days late you’d be expecting a really obvious line as your HCG hormone levels should have been doubling every 48 hours. Even at 4 days late my test line was darker than the control.

nzs2019 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:20:24

Have you taken another test since then? The line should be visible especially being so late for your period and HCG doubles every 48 hours. It could be an evap line, I can see an ever so faint line but can't be sure if it has colour or not.

nzs2019 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:22:41

Sorry @NikolaPiccola , I just don't want you to think that you've had a mc. Problem being is yes you could have ovulated late and that's why it's not so positive yet, but if you only had sex around that fertile period and you know for sure you should be around 6 weeks, then it would definitely be visible by now on a test

NikolaPiccola Wed 17-Jul-19 13:39:25

@MrsEG @nzs2019 The thing is I get ovulation symptoms and I had it on a specific day. I just wasn't looking for it. It was within the time frame of when we had sex as well.

And I thought of an Evap line but they normally are white on the frer. I've compared those to the negative tests I've had before and they look nothing alike. It also came up within the three minutes and had colour which is why I'm confused.

My doctor told me that I could have low HCG levels which won't matter if they're still rising how they should be. I just want to know more than anything. He suggested that I could have implanted later than expected, hence the bleeding.

I'm taking another test tomorrow and I'll be having a scan anyway. I just wanted some positivity

NikolaPiccola Wed 17-Jul-19 13:52:51

Plus, it wouldn't explain why my period is 10 days late. I've had no PMS symptoms a week prior to my expected period and still no usual signs. I've never been so late and normally my period lasts a full week with heavy clots and a lot of pain. I just don't know.

nzs2019 Wed 17-Jul-19 14:56:51

I understand, and the fact your are 10 days late is a symptom itself, like I said I would say maybe you ovulated late.. but if you know when you ovulated and had sex.. your test should be very dark now at 6 weeks. Unless you really aren't as far gone as you think.

Tests which are faint like this are usually the ones done before period due, not 10 days late?

Hopefully you get some answers at GP tomorrow! Fingers crossed

Postmanbear Wed 17-Jul-19 15:04:57

I don’t know if you want honest answers so don’t read if not.

My tests didn’t get darker as quickly as I thought they should but by 6 weeks they were dark and I was reassured. However it turned out to be a blighted ovum and I had an EVAC at 11 weeks. I was having normal pregnancy symptoms and no bleeding. Only found out as we paid for an early scan. I hope it’s better news for you 💐

nicannie Wed 17-Jul-19 15:07:02

My line was quite prominent on a FRER the day before I was due a period, making me only around 4 week pregnant. Good luck, and keep us updated

NikolaPiccola Wed 17-Jul-19 16:37:38

I'm going to take another frer tomorrow morning before my doctor's appointment to see how dark it is. I am hoping that I'm one of those people that just have faint lines (my friend didn't get a positive until she was 5 months gone.)

ItAllStartedHere Wed 17-Jul-19 20:31:27

Wishing you lots of luck. I hope you get a darker line.
I'm in the same boat (you posted on my post) and I'm retesting Friday morning although it's killing me to wait.

FutureMrsD Thu 18-Jul-19 10:40:28

Any luck on today’s test @NikolaPiccola?
Is it today you have your scan? Good luck x

Abi58 Thu 18-Jul-19 10:44:57

@NikolaPiccola sorry to read you're still unsure what's going on. Keeping everything crossed for you! When is your drs app?

NikolaPiccola Thu 18-Jul-19 11:42:34

@ItAllStartedHere @FutureMrsD @Abi58 I had my doctors appointment today and all of my vitals are good. I did take a frer test but it came up negative. The doctor wasn't too concerned about that yet because I haven't had any typical miscarriage symptoms. She confirmed the positive tests that I took, which was good, but said that I could be one of those women who simply have low hcg throughout pregnancy.

Idk, I feel disheartened and not very hopeful. My scan is tomorrow at 10.10 am with EPU but I've pretty much accepted the fact that it's likely a miscarriage. Would be a nice surprise if it wasn't. Not counting on it still. I still have symptoms so not sure when they'll go away if it is a MC.

NikolaPiccola Thu 18-Jul-19 11:48:25

Although she did say that if I had an early miscarriage I also wouldn't have had so many pregnancy symptoms. Can't tell if she was making me feel better or not.

ItAllStartedHere Thu 18-Jul-19 18:41:28

@NikolaPiccola so as far as they're concerned you're pregnant but the tests say no.
How confusing for you bless your heart.

Did they do a blood test or no point because of the scan?

NikolaPiccola Thu 18-Jul-19 21:41:12

@ItAllStartedHere well because of the two positive tests they're dismissing the negative one. They even debated twins and I was sort of panicked because I wasn't even sure if this pregnancy was viable! I had a dream that I had a pad full of bright red blood and it just freaked me out.

No tests. At least not yet. Because it's Thursday by the time I'd get them done I wouldn't have them until next week, and since an appointment was available for tomorrow morning they thought it was safest. In case this is an ectopic pregnancy. I've sort of grieved already, I think. And if this is a healthy pregnancy then yay but if not, I've already dealt with that emotional baggage.

I just want the ultrasound over with.

ItAllStartedHere Fri 19-Jul-19 06:14:53

@NikolaPiccola well I got a BFN this morning so thinking mine was just an evap and my cycle just not sorted out yet.

I wish you luck with your journey and peace with the answer from today's scan.

Xx

FutureMrsD Fri 19-Jul-19 10:53:14

How did your scan go @NikolaPiccola?
X

NikolaPiccola Fri 19-Jul-19 12:50:04

@ItAllStartedHere @FutureMrsD Unfortunately, it as a miscarriage. They only saw the broken down fluid (which they suspected was tissue that should come out sometime soon.) I have already grieved this a few days prior. I mostly hated the looks of pity from the nurses when I walked out with a miscarriage leaflet.

My boyfriend and I have both decided to take a break from TTC. I know that he needs time to grieve this baby and so do I.

Postmanbear Fri 19-Jul-19 16:27:42

So sorry to hear that 💐

ItAllStartedHere Fri 19-Jul-19 16:55:46

I'm so sorry @NikolaPiccola I hope you and your partner find peace together in your break.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »