Talk

Advanced search

Mums of twins - did you know or have any signs before the scan?

(19 Posts)
sweetkitty Sun 29-Jul-07 21:03:27

I know my pregnancy hormonal brain is working overtime and I keep thinking I'm having twins. I'm only 8 weeks and have a scan booked for Wednesday due to a slight bleed so I will know then.

But I look about 4 months gone (didn't with the other two) have been much more sicker/madder more quickly too. I think it's because I have 3yo DD1, 18 mo DD2 that twins would be devastating (I get no family help either) it's literally keeping me up at night.

Tell me I'm a mad woman!

whomovedmychocolate Sun 29-Jul-07 21:10:45

Everyone thinks that don't worry. I was convinced I was having twins because I felt movement early on and had extreme morning sickness and was showing at 6 weeks. I went on to have one small baby.

You are a mad hormonal woman

But that's okay!

sweetkitty Sun 29-Jul-07 22:08:49

thanks

I think part of the problem is that we have decided to stop at 3 because of bedrooms/car/general expense and it would just be my luck! Twins in the family but a good few generations ago.

iliketosleep Sun 29-Jul-07 22:21:56

let me know the outcome of that sweetkitty because i am in the same boat!!! but dont have a scan booked yet and dont know if im 8 weeks!!!

sweetkitty Sun 29-Jul-07 22:23:56

Will do ILTS - I think I am going slightly mad, if it's twins it's twins can't flog one on ebay can I

Castanet Mon 30-Jul-07 07:09:57

Had absolutely no symptoms apart being tired all the time - a common complaint during pregnancy. Found out during my nuchal that I have 2 in there...... Didn't show until 17 weeks.

Egg Mon 30-Jul-07 07:19:10

Hmm. I am 13 weeks pg with twins and it was quite a shock. I found out at 8 weeks after slight bleed (brown), and had NO IDEA. However I did feel a lot sicker and a lot more tired than I had with DS, but am only just showing now really and have not gained any weight yet.

We were planning to stop at 2. Never planned on 3, can't afford 3, have had to move house (moving in 3 weeks), will need bigger car, DS will be 22 months old when babies are due etc etc, but I wouldnt swap it for the world!!! .

Good luck with your scan on Weds. To be honest I was so relieved there was nothing wrong that twins was almost GOOD news!

WhiteKnuckles Mon 30-Jul-07 07:58:51

Hi sweetkitty - like you, I already have 2 DDs (5 and 2 yrs). This time, at 6 weeks I was having quite a bit of brown/bloody discharge so had an early scan which confirmed twins. It was never in our plan either so it's taken me a while to get used to it, and now at 19 weeks I'm just about comfortable with the idea!

I had no real pregnancy symptoms with my other two - this time however I've had bad MS (which has only just started to get better), been very tired and look about 7 months pregnant already!

I have no family help either, so can fully sympathise with your fears. Good luck on Wednesday... if it is indeed twins I'll be happy to chat through any heebiejeebies!!

throckenholt Mon 30-Jul-07 08:04:56

I was much more sick and mush more tired than with my single - but other than that no signs at all pre scan at 11 weeks.

No-one ever plans twins ! We were stopping at 2 (close together - 18 months apart) but got a bonus one as well .

It is touch to begin with - but it really is great (mine are 4.5 now) - somehow having a single now would seem somehow <whispers> boring - watching them interact is fascinating.

popsycal Mon 30-Jul-07 08:07:08

I have always thought that I would have twins. No idea why. There are lots in my family - but none in my this generation. I haven't had twins - have had two boys.

chopster Mon 30-Jul-07 08:39:48

I didn't have a scan until 20 weeks, so I knew beforehand when I was carrying dts. I def didn't have a clue that early though, and I did think maybe it was twins with my two singles too!

The time I knew it was dts, it was because I felt movements very much earlier, was a lot sicker and more tired, and very hormonal (poor dp! ). I didn't show any earlier than with singles, but once I did start showing I grew very rapidly. The sign that really told me was feelign kicks on opposite sides of my stomach, when I knew the foetus was still only so big. It had to be twins, or an amazing rebounding baby!

iliketosleep Mon 30-Jul-07 10:20:11

the things making me think is that i have symptoms much earlier im growing much earlier and i have the most horrible pulling aching sensation in the bottom of my belly, obviously the stretching and growing but again so soon!!!!!

wishuponastar3 Mon 30-Jul-07 11:04:39

Hi all, i am also thinking i may be pregnant with twins, i am 9 + 4 and already feeling fluttery type movements and sickness has been awful this time. Scan not until august 14th but i already look much further gone! I was pregnant with twins two years ago but lost them at 8 weeks so i guess it is possible, bit scary as i have two boys aged 3 and 4 but only 15 days to find out! I am suffering with exhaustion really bad this time round too, it's a real effort to drag myself out of bed! good luck with your scan!

PurpleLostPrincess Mon 30-Jul-07 13:53:14

I've had two scans confirming a 'singleton' but I've got so big so quickly and have got so much movement that people keep telling me it could be twins. They're saying it sooo much that I'm actually beginning to wonder, coupled with the fact that I'm sure I'm getting kicked on either side of my bump! Anybody ever heard of them not being picked up in scans? Surely it can't be the case (not that it would be bad news but we're just not ready for two!).

beansprout Mon 30-Jul-07 13:56:01

I felt like this recently too. People are commenting on how big I am, I've felt much sicker than last time etc, but there's just one in there. Don't worry!! There is a lot of support out there for parents with twins, you will be ok!!

PurpleLostPrincess Mon 30-Jul-07 13:57:51

Thanks beansprout, thats reassuring to hear!

xx

MerryMarigold Mon 30-Jul-07 13:58:27

I know someone whose 'third baby' was quadruplets!! So they ended up with 6 kids, but they coped...

wb Mon 30-Jul-07 16:28:18

I could have started this thread - second pregnancy, but much bigger, more tired and sicker than first (or did I just forget?). Have been worrying/concerned about prospect of twins for weeks.

Scan today showed just 1 baby. Shows what I know.

chopster Tue 31-Jul-07 07:50:43

maybe second time around you feel worse, because you already have one child to deal with. You can also show earlier since those muscles aren't as tight as they were first time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now