Talk

Advanced search

Maternity pads question

(15 Posts)
naturelover Thu 26-Jul-07 12:55:54

Mothercare website seems to suggest that new mothers need about 72 pads in the first week - is this realistic? It sounds like AN AWFUL LOT.

Just wondering how many packs to buy initially. Also, will they fit inside normal knickers or should I buy some cheap granny pants?

Pruners Thu 26-Jul-07 13:01:10

Message withdrawn

hayley2u Thu 26-Jul-07 13:01:19

i'm not sure but would also like to know answer to that. think may need to get big stretchy knickers but i really cant remember.someone on a thread once said they used incontinence PANTS and they were better all round

dal21 Thu 26-Jul-07 13:01:39

i asked my mw and i have bought one of the big packs (think it is 48 in the pack?) and a few packs of the washable (but ultimately disposable) maternity briefs from mothercare. I have also shown DH them so he knows where to go if i need more. will see how i get on with themm

agnesnitt Thu 26-Jul-07 13:04:48

Might I suggest asda for cheap knickers? They have a range that's about £4 for five pairs, and they have lycra in them, unlike the slightly cheaper ones there. They're comfy and cotton and more to the point mahoooooosive

Agnes

CatIsSleepy Thu 26-Jul-07 13:05:23

I dread to think how many i got through....I'd only bought a couple of packs initially and got through most of those in the two days my waters spent breaking! then i had to keep sending dh out for more...and more....and more....poor man!
72 seems about right to me!
sainsburys' do quite good ones-relatively slender.

CescaD Thu 26-Jul-07 13:05:26

I certainly used a lot. My first few outings from the house were all to stock up on more pads. And no-one told me how long it would last for (6weeks in my case).

Get some thick ones and some thin ones and see which you like best. I preferred the padding of thick but my friend found them uncomfortably bulky.

And a pack or two of paper knickers woulsn' go amiss either (if you are between sizes opt for larger - for me the 10/12 ones dug in an 14/16 were more comfy)

And then there's the booby pads.... 4 months on and I am still on a quest to find the perfect booby pad. But lots of people I know don't need those at all, so just start with a small box and see how you go.

normabutty Thu 26-Jul-07 13:06:45

I used about 72 total...personally preferred the big ones cos I poured witch hazel on them...was v relieving.

spugs Thu 26-Jul-07 14:50:01

agree with pruners on the maternity pads they are awful, the thickest always ones are far better (there purple with wings and for overnight) i would definitly use those

spugs Thu 26-Jul-07 14:51:37

and on the pant front you cant beat asda ones in the next size up. really cheap and i wore them whilst preganant as well.

Gemy Thu 26-Jul-07 16:16:25

My friend recommended Always ones and after a few days of using normal maternity pads I followed suit. They were much more absorbant and comfortable. I did wear granny knickers though and also disposable knickers. I did have stitches and found the massive think pads rubbed a bit.

I also bought the Always ones with the Freshelle (?) wipe attached, so always felt clean and fresh.

Rach35 Thu 26-Jul-07 16:26:06

72!!!!!!! Am in shock - is it best to get ones with wings then?

Notquitegrownup Thu 26-Jul-07 16:32:03

As someone mentioned, you can buy as you go, and get varying thicknesses of Always too. I know that I bled heavily for 4 to 6 weeks after ds1, and dutifully told my best friend a couple of years later as she was having her first baby. She stocked up on them and then only needed a few for just the first week!

Best of luck

JARM Thu 26-Jul-07 16:36:53

I always used the Always Night time with wings, much easier to move about with than the horrendous huge thick pads from mothercare.

Night towels usually come in packs of ten and i think i go through about 4/5 packs during that post-natal bleed period.

lljkk Thu 26-Jul-07 16:39:30

Maybe because I have quite light periods normally ... I doubt I use more than about 18 heavy pads post partum in the first week)... but I have needed skinny pads for up to 6 weeks afterwards for ongoing light spotting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now