Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I've strained my stomach muscles at 33 weeks.

(12 Posts)
FlossALump Thu 26-Jul-07 08:25:24

Is there any point bothering the midwife? The baby has been moving but my tummy is very painful following a heavy 12.5 hr shift at work lugging large equipment around.

The site seems to be on a go slow...

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 08:32:31

Aww, if you're sure its just a strain and aren't worried about the baby, then I would probably leave it.

Why were you lugging large equipment about you fool!?

(A kindly "fool" not yelling and fist waving )

FlossALump Thu 26-Jul-07 13:58:13

The patient I had was a very busy one. The busiest on the ward , it was who was allocated to me. Am finding it hard at work atm, in the respect that I don't want to be a burden on anyone else. And yet I know when others were expecting I was more considerate and would never have given them that patient under yesterdays circ (ie all other patients reasonably well). Having a day of watching DP doing housework and not doing a lot!

Chattyhan Thu 26-Jul-07 14:03:15

Hi floss - sorry you're having a bad time of it - i would say if you're having a quiet day today resting then just keep an eye on it - if it gets worse or no better in a few days then maybe contact midwife. I'm sure your midwife will probably just tell you off and not to do it again - which isn't going to help anyone! xx

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 16:42:08

Oh Floss

Be a "burden" - you are pregnant. Tis allowed

FlossALump Thu 26-Jul-07 20:44:45

The ward is just so busy atm, everyone is stressed and things have been going wrong. I wonder if in fact I am the biggest pain in the arse and people are trying to make my job harder! [paranoid emoticon]

Mercy Thu 26-Jul-07 20:56:24

I can't remember the rules tbh but surely you shouldn't be expected to be lifting anything heavy when pg?

Aren't employers meant to do a risk assessment or something?

Do you belong to a union?

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 21:08:06

<paranoid emoticon> generally goes hand in hand with <heavily pregnant emoticon>

FlossALump Fri 27-Jul-07 09:33:24

It is 'dodgy' equipment. In this example a drip stand on wheels which don't roll. In theory no problem to move, in reality with a bag of fluids and two pumps on it having to drag it around cramped bedspaces much different. If I'd realised what I was doing to myself at the time I would have looked for another drip stand. Its probably not only that though its also bending over in awkward places and very frequently. I think so far I am feeling better today anyhow and baby seems happy enough. I'm probably going to make a point of how i've been feeling tomorrow though as I'm working with the person who allocated me the patient. I have decided that I can still be useful without having to take the sickest patient on the ward with 2 weeks left at work to go! Thanks for you support though, especially FlameP!

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 27-Jul-07 09:39:30

Floss,

Glad you are feeling better today. You need to take it easy!! (kn fact when you come here next week, you aren'y lifting a finger!)

I moved house when I was 30 weeks pg with DS1 and DP had a bad back at thye time (self inflicted-he fell down some steps when pissed) so I had to help with furniture shiting and I had to drive a mahoosive van (which was tricky because i couldn't reach the pedals properly!) I remeber waking up the next day feeling ike someone had ripped the muscles out of my stomach.

DP got a swift kick square on the arse, I can tell you.

Just make sure you tell work that you are finding it difficult, and do all the cushy numbers. It's your right at a pregnant lady!!

FlossALump Fri 27-Jul-07 10:14:12

Hi IGW! I'd have killed DP if that were me! Was there no-one else to help? Not wanting to jinx it but DP is actually being quite considerate atm! I feel almost looked after!

Looking forward to seeing you all next week! x

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 27-Jul-07 10:18:10

We had DP's mate Pete to help, buyt he couldn't lift stuff on his own! DP could barely walk. I wanted to throttle him, I can tell ye.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: