Talk

Advanced search

I've strained my stomach muscles at 33 weeks.

(12 Posts)
FlossALump Thu 26-Jul-07 08:25:24

Is there any point bothering the midwife? The baby has been moving but my tummy is very painful following a heavy 12.5 hr shift at work lugging large equipment around.

The site seems to be on a go slow...

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 08:32:31

Aww, if you're sure its just a strain and aren't worried about the baby, then I would probably leave it.

Why were you lugging large equipment about you fool!?

(A kindly "fool" not yelling and fist waving )

FlossALump Thu 26-Jul-07 13:58:13

The patient I had was a very busy one. The busiest on the ward , it was who was allocated to me. Am finding it hard at work atm, in the respect that I don't want to be a burden on anyone else. And yet I know when others were expecting I was more considerate and would never have given them that patient under yesterdays circ (ie all other patients reasonably well). Having a day of watching DP doing housework and not doing a lot!

Chattyhan Thu 26-Jul-07 14:03:15

Hi floss - sorry you're having a bad time of it - i would say if you're having a quiet day today resting then just keep an eye on it - if it gets worse or no better in a few days then maybe contact midwife. I'm sure your midwife will probably just tell you off and not to do it again - which isn't going to help anyone! xx

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 16:42:08

Oh Floss

Be a "burden" - you are pregnant. Tis allowed

FlossALump Thu 26-Jul-07 20:44:45

The ward is just so busy atm, everyone is stressed and things have been going wrong. I wonder if in fact I am the biggest pain in the arse and people are trying to make my job harder! [paranoid emoticon]

Mercy Thu 26-Jul-07 20:56:24

I can't remember the rules tbh but surely you shouldn't be expected to be lifting anything heavy when pg?

Aren't employers meant to do a risk assessment or something?

Do you belong to a union?

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 21:08:06

<paranoid emoticon> generally goes hand in hand with <heavily pregnant emoticon>

FlossALump Fri 27-Jul-07 09:33:24

It is 'dodgy' equipment. In this example a drip stand on wheels which don't roll. In theory no problem to move, in reality with a bag of fluids and two pumps on it having to drag it around cramped bedspaces much different. If I'd realised what I was doing to myself at the time I would have looked for another drip stand. Its probably not only that though its also bending over in awkward places and very frequently. I think so far I am feeling better today anyhow and baby seems happy enough. I'm probably going to make a point of how i've been feeling tomorrow though as I'm working with the person who allocated me the patient. I have decided that I can still be useful without having to take the sickest patient on the ward with 2 weeks left at work to go! Thanks for you support though, especially FlameP!

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 27-Jul-07 09:39:30

Floss,

Glad you are feeling better today. You need to take it easy!! (kn fact when you come here next week, you aren'y lifting a finger!)

I moved house when I was 30 weeks pg with DS1 and DP had a bad back at thye time (self inflicted-he fell down some steps when pissed) so I had to help with furniture shiting and I had to drive a mahoosive van (which was tricky because i couldn't reach the pedals properly!) I remeber waking up the next day feeling ike someone had ripped the muscles out of my stomach.

DP got a swift kick square on the arse, I can tell you.

Just make sure you tell work that you are finding it difficult, and do all the cushy numbers. It's your right at a pregnant lady!!

FlossALump Fri 27-Jul-07 10:14:12

Hi IGW! I'd have killed DP if that were me! Was there no-one else to help? Not wanting to jinx it but DP is actually being quite considerate atm! I feel almost looked after!

Looking forward to seeing you all next week! x

IntergalacticWalrus Fri 27-Jul-07 10:18:10

We had DP's mate Pete to help, buyt he couldn't lift stuff on his own! DP could barely walk. I wanted to throttle him, I can tell ye.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now