Talk

Advanced search

Recurrent MC - to scan or not to scan

(14 Posts)
smilesattheweekend Tue 24-Jul-07 13:09:55

Hi

Just to give some background - sorry to those who have heard this on other posts but I had a mc last week at 7 weeks - I had a scan in the morning because of bleeding and it showed a healthy heartbeat with no problems at all, in the afternoon I came home and lost it all, i could see the sac so I knew it was over. I had two mc before having my son. When pg with my son I bled a lot and had scans from 6.5 weeks. Now I have had another mc with a scan with heartbeat I can't even trust going for a scan to put my mind at rest. Thing is I felt like I got so hung up on the scan to reassure me and went from one extreme to the other. It started me thinking, should I have scans if I get pg again or will it just add to the worry? I would love to hear your views on this. I know if I get pg again i will struggle to get through each day but the EPU offer support for recurrent mc and scans each week. Look forward to hearing from you.

X

Smiles

hayley2u Tue 24-Jul-07 13:14:40

when did you go for your scan. i would go for another one as that early to tell you especially if they have seen a heart beat.i was expecting twins and at my first scan they told me to come back to make sure then when i went back they said no it was just the one. came to my 12 week scan and i ws carrying twins but one died the week before. was upset as they should have been more thorough

PrettyCandles Tue 24-Jul-07 13:19:46

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had two miscarriages, one jsut a few days after I had a BFP on the test and one at 7w. I didn't see anyone about the first time, but I went to the GP the second time and he refered me to the EPU for ascan. After tallking to the drs and m/ws at the EPU I decided not to have a scan at all. I didn't see the point as it would just upset me more. Either I was pg and the bleeding would stop (very unlikely, it was very heavy and crampy) or I wasn't, and the bleeding would stop. If I got ill I would know that something had been left behind and that I needed treatment.

Why interfere? I thought. Why medicalise something that was, after all, perfectly natural. I chose to just let it go and allow myself to grieve without any extra stress.

I had a blood test which showed that I was almost certainly not pg, and another to confirm it the following week because I still felt pg (morning sickness and cravings).

The next time I got pregnant I waited until 7w before going to the GP. It was as if I had to get past the mc again, before allowing myself to hope. Had I had bleeding again, I would have done things the same way, having a blood test but not a scan. Certinaly until about 10w, anyway.

HTH

smilesattheweekend Tue 24-Jul-07 13:22:24

Hi Hayley - When I phoned the EPU to tell them I had mc they booked me in for a scan which I went for yesterday - just to check it had all gone and it had. They could see that my womb is back to normal and there is no reason why we cant try again. They are doing some tests to see if there is a reason why it happened and we have an appt to go back in September. If I get pg again they may well put me on aspirin and or heparin depending on the results of the tests. Incidentally, I was one of a twin but one miscarried early on, my mum knew her dates were right.
How do you feel about the scanning? Would you go for lots if you had the chance?

PrettyCandles Tue 24-Jul-07 13:24:51

I've had several extra scans after 20w with all my babies, for one reason or another, and it is very reassuring. Also fantastic to see them developing.

smilesattheweekend Tue 24-Jul-07 13:28:53

HI Prettycandles

Sorry for your losses. I agree with you and I don't know why we get into the mindset of needing to check which is what I have done. I have discussed the agaony of getting through a pregnancy and that the waiting for scans can add to the frustration. If I felt strong enough (and I admire your strength) I would love to just put the pg to the back of my mind and wait until 12 weeks and have a scan, if all was well then great, but if not then so be it, I also need to accept that if a mc is going to happen, it is going to happen. I think I should, if we get a BFP, ring the EPU, let them put me on whatever they feel will help, but accept that I need to just get on with things and wait for a time when I will feel happy having a scan. THIS WILL BE EASIER SAID THAN DONE, but I think we all cope in our own ways. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me, It is so helpful and supportive to get other peoples views, especially when people around you cannot give you the insight or support you really need.

X

Smiles

hayley2u Tue 24-Jul-07 13:44:57

at least you have a positive outlook on it. yer keep trying and all will go well. i was sure of my dates but they kept putting me forward and backwards with my due date. i have had to go for some extra scans due to fact iv had lots of bleeding but everything else has been fine. but two scans have shown my dates were right originaly and i am actually 2 weeeks ahead but they wont change it. this really irrates me as i no exactly when my dates were and they add up. but they wont change there minds

smilesattheweekend Tue 24-Jul-07 13:49:29

Hayley - you know your dates better than anyone. They told me when I had my scan that I was only 6 weeks but I know damn well I was 7, I know the exact date we conceived - we were on holiday in France and I remember the date. How many weeks are you now (according to your own dates?).

PrettyCandles Tue 24-Jul-07 16:29:25

Two very different perspectvies from Hayley and me.

But, Smiles, don't get me wrong - once I know I'm pg I can't and don't put it to the back of my mind until the dating scan. I don't think I put the mc to the back of my mind either, but not forcing it to the front by having scans made it easier to deal with and accept. Also the fact that the scan would have had to be internal was upsetting. And, just like an epidural opens you up to the 'cascade of intervention', I was afraid that having a scan would result in the EPU recommending an ERPC - more unnecessary and invasive procedures.

But you need to do what feels right for you, what you feel would give you strength.

smilesattheweekend Tue 24-Jul-07 16:36:57

Thanks prettycandles. Didn't mean to say that you put mc or pg to the back of your mind. Just trying to sort everything out in my own head. I normally like to be in control you see and I have realised that I am not in control of everything. Would just like to be able to handle things better. I know what you mean about the internals and part of me thinks that the doctor who I saw on the Sunday who gave me an internal might have done something, it really hurt and it was like she was giving me a smear as she took all sorts of swabs (tmi but they were like hugh cotton wool buds and I could feel everything), then going on to have an internal scan the next day, I know if a mc is going to happen it will, but I am not sure if the intervention added to it.

Woooozle100 Tue 24-Jul-07 16:48:49

Hello Smiles

Sorry to read about your losses. Are you having any investigation as to possible causes for reacurrent mc?

Obviously, don't answer this question if you would rather not. Its just that in my case a balanced chromosome translocation was found. Whilst this didn't really change anything, knowing that there was a reason helped and it also meant that I had options for other pre-natal testing.

I am not suggesting that this is going to be the case with you - obviously there are many other factors that could be at play for reacurrent mc - if indeed there is a link at all.

I'm of the opinion of doing whatever you need to do and what is right for you in early pg - whatever gets you through it. If that is scans for reassurance, then go for it. If like PrettyCandles its waiting and seeing how it pans out - that's all well and good too. I had abdominal scan at 8 weeks - primarilly to plan cvs. Originally, I did not want to look at the screen or get involved at all. I did, and I did find it of some comfort to see baby / hb etc. However, I was also trying very hard to remain as detatched as possible.

it truly is a very difficult time. I wish you all the best for the future x

hayley2u Tue 24-Jul-07 16:59:00

i should be just going 35 weeks but they have me down as 32 weeks

kiansmum Tue 24-Jul-07 17:32:51

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your losses.
I too have had 5 mcs which were missed miscarriages that were found when i went for scans. I now really hate scans!
I fell pg last year and dreaded my 1st scan but found it a relief when all showed ok.
I now have a healthy 9mo ds.
I then fell pg again when he was 8wo(aagghh!! unplanned) and again all is ok, i am now 30 weeks pg with a dd.
I have had to take baby aspirin and clexane injections every day through pregnancy due to the recurrent mc.
I found that waiting til about 9/10 wks for the 1st scan although daunting helped as all seemed ok after then.
Good luck with the future and keep in touch.

smilesattheweekend Tue 07-Aug-07 10:12:07

Thanks for all your messages. I think that I will just take it one day at a time if "it" happens.

Will just have to wait and see!!

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now