Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Once you start to feel the baby move do you feel it all the time?

(13 Posts)
Caz10 Mon 23-Jul-07 16:33:41

SORRY I know this has been asked a million times in one form or another...just not sure....I'm 20wks and have started to feel the baby move in the past fortnight. Actually I felt it very faintly at about 16 weeks, but wasn't sure, then when it started being a bit stronger I realised that is what it had been all along.
However after having quite an active week where I was feeling it every hour or so, he/she seems to have gone v quiet. Every day I think "if I don't feel it today I'll go to the MW" but then I'll get one tiny flutter or so - but NOTHING like it was last week.
Any ideas??!!!

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jul-07 16:35:23

The baby could have moved position so you don't feel as much movement. But if you are concerned, talk to your mw - you can go along to get the heartbeat checked out.

So yes, normal, but if you're worried get it checked out

RGPargy Mon 23-Jul-07 17:04:55

Very normal Caz. I've had lots of days/weeks when it's felt very quiet in there and other times when he/she's been wiggling all over the place!

Deffo get it checked out by the MW tho if you're worried.

MrsMar Mon 23-Jul-07 17:10:12

Same for me, until about 22 weeks, I would get some pretty intermittent movements, there did come a time when I felt movements every day (every hour more like!) but until that point it was intermittent definitely. I've also noticed if I've had a really busy active day I get no movements afterwards, I think the baby is as tired as I am!

Eaglebird Mon 23-Jul-07 17:18:05

If I'm busy doing stuff, or moving about a lot, I tend not to notice movements so much (unless they're really vigorous).
I normally notice them when I'm relaxing in bed, or in the bath, or reading or watching TV. But, even so, some days are quieter than others.
I think I read that you should feel 10 or more movements per day. Some days I'll feel 10 or more movements within an hour, and feel baby jiggling about most of the day. Other days I'll feel nothing all day, then get a burst of activity just before bedtime.
Do call your midwife if you feel worried. That's what she's there for.

Caz10 Mon 23-Jul-07 20:35:36

Thank you all so much for replying! Going to pop into midwives tomorrow but I'm sure all is ok. Eek.
Thanks!

Imawurzel Mon 23-Jul-07 20:38:54

of you caz. I'm 17 wekks today and felt nothing so far.
But then i do have a mound of fat there.
Tis what it feels like anyway.

sarahloumadam Mon 23-Jul-07 20:49:32

I had a similar panic, went to the midwife, heard the heartbeat and felt reassured. Still has his quiet days. I spoke to him and gave him a gentle prod today and he started kicking (is that cruel - eek? ). But he danced like buggery to music in the car the other day. V.up and down you have my upmost sympathy!

sarahloumadam Mon 23-Jul-07 20:53:28

I mean utmost sympathy! Pregnancy (that old excuse)...

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Mon 23-Jul-07 21:31:49

My movements stopped all togther at 24 weeks and I waited three days before having it checked out and sadly by baby died

I am now 21 weeks pregnant and I have already been down to the hosp on 'quiet' days but in the last week hes really started to kick and I hope he continues to.

My consultant said last time 'i hope the next one is very active as it will be a worrying time' She was right.

Sorry to post my sad story as sometimes babies do have quiet days but when in doubt check it out as worrying is no good for you and the midwife wont mind

kyala Tue 24-Jul-07 16:08:31

My answer to this question is Yup, I'm giving birth to some sort of squid!

2nd pregnancy and the MW said it's normal cos baby has more room etc (Huff! I haven't put on THAT much weight!! LOL)

LoonyLyraLovegood Tue 24-Jul-07 16:16:53

Sometimes the baby turns around so you can't always feel its movements. Also, they tend to sleep a lot in there. if you don't feel even a flutter for a day or so, get your midwife to listen to the heartbeat to put your mind at rest.

Caz10 Wed 25-Jul-07 09:40:54

Thanks all, and esp to Chocolatepeanut, that can't be easy to write about. But congrats on being pregnant again, I'm sure all will go well!

The MW heard the hb yesterday which cheered me up no end, she also didn't think I was being silly for going in. Last night he/she kicked me so hard DH could see it on my skin!! So all is well, but I am glad I checked. She said the same, that the baby has room to move and kick in the way at the moment, soon he/she won't have the space which is when we should feel them continuously.

Phew for now, I'm sure I will panic again at some point though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now