Help - I feel a bit in limbo. We had the 22 weeks scan, and there might be a problem but the baby might be fine - a normal variant. Any problem would be brain related, we don't find out for sure for a few more weeks - it might progress, it might stay the same. At the moment we're not saying anything to many people in case all is well. What does anyone think?
What a worrying time for you.
You don't say what the scan has shown but I am wondering if you are referring to Choroid Plexus Cysts. If so I can say from my time as a midwife (was a few years ago) that I never ever had a case where they turned out to be anything more than a normal variation - and had usually gone without trace when the next scan was done.
It's something to do with the space for spinal fluid in the brain (?) one side is too big. But it might be bad news (Downs, hydrocephalus, etc) or it might be fine. It's not that big that they can say, and I don't want an amnio at only 23 wks. Thanks for reassurance though.
Did the sonographer print out a letter to go in your maternity notes? If so, it should mention what she observed during the scan, and maybe give the medical name for it. Then maybe you could Google it and see if you could find more info. Or post it on here; someone is bound to have experience of it.
Hope everything works out ok, it must be a terrible worry x
I can really relate to what you are feeling and just wanted to try and reassure you with my story.
Went through very similar circumstances with DS2. Brain fluid was registering larger side of normal, thought he might have hydrocaphlus(sp?), then at 23 weeek scan his brain fluid was fine but they decided he may have agnesis of the corpus collosum. Anyway, to cut a long story short, it turned out he was fine but we had to wait until he was 7 days old and had an MRI to get a definitive result.
I assume that you are going to have monthly scans? Must admit, I got through the worries of those by thinking that it meant I would see my beautiful boy more than the average twice .
Good luck and I hope the issues are resolved soon.
I would recommend you ring the ante-natal tests help line. I did with my son and they were lovely. Not only did they listen, they were able to put my mind at rest, and I felt very positive about which ever way it turned out.
Thanks - if anyone can give me the helpline that would be great. Something called megalomy - the cavity is too big on one side. We've been to two consultants now, and it might be nothing or could be a marker for Downs, hydrocephalus or a chromosome problem. Trouble is, I don't want an amnio until its a bit safer. I think its a case of waiting til we go back, but that's in 4 weeks! I just want to get there, and miss out all the social bit in between, esp as we don't want to tell everyone yet, if there's not going to be anything to tell
Can you get the hospital to refer you to Harris Birthright at Kings College Hospital, South London? They are specialists in foetal medicine and have the best machines to have a good look. It was where I went for my CVS and repeat scans when my dd had anomalies in her 13 week scan. Professor Nicolaides. He also has a private practice.
We are at the Harris Birthright as of last week - two scans there so far (on top of anomaly scan). Just feel like I'm marking time, and am waiting to get to a resulkt one way or another. Apparently, they need to see if it's progressive (hence 5 weeks to wait) and I didn't want an amnio at 23 weeks. Now wishing I had. Did you guys tell anyone? I feel a bit like the people we've told (very few) are either great or really nosy, in a watching a carcrash way - all focussing on my 'choice', when we don't know if it has to come to that - there's still achance all is okay. AAARGH! Will try helpline - thankyou.