Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sharp pains in my belly

(6 Posts)
mixedmama Fri 20-Jul-07 09:40:57

Morning,

Just a quick question. I have recently started getting somebvery sharp pains in my stomach normally just up one side, to the point that they actually wake me up in the night, sometimes this is followed by going to toilet but sometimes it is just the pain. Does anyone know what might be causing this and is it normal? I am 17 weeks and have one DC and I dont remember this with him.

mrsmalumbas Fri 20-Jul-07 09:43:54

Sounds like round ligament pains. Quite normal, just things adjusting as the baby grows, although can be painful as you have found. A heat pack can help. However always check with your midwife or doc if you are worried.

mixedmama Fri 20-Jul-07 10:00:34

Thx... it is just i dont remember it being quite so painful last time.

rubydarling Sun 22-Jul-07 09:17:55

Hi mixedmama, I am 16 weeks + 4 and having something similar, I described it to my dh as feeling like I was being knifed from the inside out- he was understandably concerned! Looked it up in a book or two and would go with mrsmalumbas' diagnosis- I think mine is just occasional growing pains and it's not bothering me too much, just the ARGH! and occasional sharp intake of breath, but if yours is then definitely ask your midwife. I am sure they have answered questions like ours zillions of times before!!

Hopeitwontbebig Sun 22-Jul-07 16:10:53

Yes, I'd agree it does sound like round ligament pain. It's quite common at your stage of pregnancy. I used to have to hold on to my tummy if I was going to sneeze or cough, that's when it was reeeeeeeeeally painful. Feels like you're being stabbed, or someone is twanging an enormous elastic band in your insides!

RavenclAwen Sun 22-Jul-07 16:38:19

mixedmama - I have been having this too am due 31st Dec so similar stage to you. MW told me it is more painful more children you have (gee, thats good news ). I have been having to sit down for a rest if I have been walking round for ages now etc and it really aches then too. hth x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now