Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Varicose Veins

(15 Posts)
RGPargy Thu 19-Jul-07 13:15:20

OMG, since i've been PG, my legs (right leg in particular) looks like someone had drawn a blue map all over my legs! There loads of big blue veins popping out everywhere! What can i do to (a) stop anymore coming up and (b) make them go away!!!!

I have one huuuuuge one already on my right leg that has never gone away since it appeared about 17 years ago. I hope they all dont end up looking like that - it's really bulky and sticks out. Yuk!

WendyWeber Thu 19-Jul-07 13:26:21

My mother's family had terrible varicose veins so I always wore support tights the whole time I was pregnant each time as a precaution, and I never got any. They are horrible to wear, esp in hot weather, but I think it's worth it - I used to buy them from Boots, they do different levels of support.

I suppose I could have inherited my dad's legs, iyswim...but I am getting lumpy veins now I am over 50, so the tendency is there.

Good luck anyway

dal21 Thu 19-Jul-07 13:26:23

RGP - how are you?
Have read that the following can help: support stockings/ tights. Massage on legs and also when you are sitting down, avoid crossing your legs. Finally apparently lying on your left side when you have chance maximises good circulation hopefully helping with things like varicose veins and piles!

WendyWeber Thu 19-Jul-07 13:27:53

Oh, and any chance you get, lie on your back with your legs above your head.

And never sit with your legs crossed.

RGPargy Thu 19-Jul-07 13:29:49

Hmmm well it looks like i might have to try some support tights then. Niiiiiiice!

I do sit down alot coz of my job and i only cross my legs by accident sometimes but it's for a miniscule amount of time!

I'm very well thanx Dal21, how are you?

oxocube Thu 19-Jul-07 13:29:59

Not much you can do really, although support stockings (surgical ones) can help. My spider veins got worse with each pregnancy and last winter, I had them injected which removed the worst ones. A few more have appeared though and I was told by the doctor that it was largely hereditary. Apparently hot weather and hot baths make them worse so are best avoided.

RGPargy Thu 19-Jul-07 13:30:34

Wendy - My DP would LOVE me to lie on my back with my legs in the air more often!! hahaha!! I wont tell him that remedy or he'll make me do it all the time!!

WendyWeber Thu 19-Jul-07 13:32:36

When you're at work, if you normally stay sat down try to get up and walk around for a couple of minutes every half-hour or so (or even oftener). And do those air travel leg movements, flexing & stretching your ankles and rotating your feet (do all that and you won't have any time left to actually work )

WendyWeber Thu 19-Jul-07 13:33:45

Oooh, oxocube, what is the vein injection thing like please?

RGPargy Thu 19-Jul-07 14:08:49

I saw someone have an injection on the telly once. Their veins disappeared like magic!!

oxocube Fri 20-Jul-07 09:18:36

The veins are injected with a chemical, using a very fine needle. It does sting a little and you feel a sort of burning sensation. The doctor will usually do one leg one week and the other leg the next - I think I had about 8 injections in each leg - then you have to wear very tight surgical stockings for 3 - 4 weeks. This is the worst bit as for the first couple of weeks, you cannot take them off at all so you can't take a bath or shower! After 2 weeks, you can take them off at night. The veins seems to shrivel up and die but need the constant compression of the stockings to stop them coming straight back. There is a word for this procedure which I can't remember but something like 'scelotherapy'?

Anyway, I am happy with the results and it was covered by my insurance policy so I didn't have to pay extra for it .HTH

oxocube Fri 20-Jul-07 09:20:48

sclerotherapy is what I'm talking about - I just checked!

WendyWeber Fri 20-Jul-07 10:12:25

Thanks, oxocube!

Is it not an NHS treatment then?

RGPargy Fri 20-Jul-07 10:37:43

Oooo i have private healthcare. I wonder.....

oxocube Fri 20-Jul-07 12:18:32

I don't really know Wendy as we are in Holland where you have to take out a private policy of one description or another. I was referred by my gp as I said the veins were quite sore (actually, I laid it on a bit as it was mainly for cosmetic reasons!). I know that laser treatment on them would have NOT been covered. Its worth asking - its an easy and cheap procedure so could well be available on NHS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now