Talk

Advanced search

Experience of birthing pool?

(14 Posts)
bearface45 Fri 17-May-19 09:53:12

Honestly I loved the idea of it but when I was in the water that was the worst pain I was in! On the floor on all fours was best for me. Your body will soon tell you so give it a go x

roley Tue 14-May-19 15:47:17

Birthing pool for me was amazing. I laboured and had my DS in the pool and then with my DD I ended up on labour ward due to reduced movement in labour. But I was struggling and I just knew if I could get in a pool I'd be fine. Long story short I got in a birth pool and had DD within 10 minutes. For me the water took away the pain and made me relax.. loved it!!!!

Darkstar4855 Tue 14-May-19 15:38:46

I laboured in the pool for eight hours and loved it! I found the pain of the contractions was less if I could relax my lower body and it was much easier to do that in the pool. I could move easily into different positions too. I spent some of the time on my knees with my arms resting on the edge, some of the time stretched out on my back floating etc. The midwife listened in every fifteen minutes and used a mirror under the water to check progress but she worked around whatever position I was in so I hardly noticed - I didn’t even know she used a mirror until my partner told me afterwards! I had gas and air but didn’t need anything stronger.

I would definitely use it again. Sadly I had to get out to deliver because baby was back-to-back and got stuck but it was great for labour.

happymummy12345 Tue 14-May-19 15:02:08

I loved it. I had a very long early labour, and by the time I got to the birth centre I was very tired.
I wanted to try and use one thing at a time. I started with my tens machine and I used that for as long as possible. Along with the birth ball which helped as well. Then as labour progressed I decided to get in the pool. I wish now I'd got in sooner as it really helped a lot more than I expected. I loved it. The only reason I got out was because the midwife recommended a pethadine injection so I could rest before I had to push (I'd been in early labour for 4 days and was physically exhausted by this point). So I got out for that reason.
Otherwise I think I'd have given birth in the pool.
Hopefully next time labour won't be as long and I won't be as tired, so I will be able to stay in (assuming I have another baby and all is well of course).
But I'd highly recommend the pool.

NotAnEMERGENCY Tue 14-May-19 14:20:53

I didn't give birth in the pool but spent a lot of my labour in it. My OH said afterwards that every time I got in the pool, my facial expression changed immediately and he could tell I was so much more relaxed.

It definitely helped with pain relief during my 18-hour labour. Other than that I just had gas and air until the final stages when I had a ventouse delivery with a spinal anaesthetic. Towards the end, the baby's heartbeat was indicating signs of distress so they thought I might need a CS.

weegiemum Tue 14-May-19 14:07:20

I'm the exception - I hated the birthing pool. The feel of the water on my skin made my skin crawl and I felt horribly claustrophobic. I practically bounced back out after maybe 2 minutes as it seemed to make the contractions more painful - just couldn't stand it!

Best of luck with your birth, hope it's a great experience for all of you, however it comes about!

ryanreynolds Tue 14-May-19 14:05:28

Quite a few of you saying less poking and prodding, I like that. Haven't done this before but I think I am most likely to just withdraw into myself and not really talk than anything so poking and prodding could well interrupt that!

BumbleNova Tue 14-May-19 14:00:02

I had my DS in a pool at home, it was wonderful. So calm and relaxing. Very private. Nobody poking or prodding unless I asked. I'd do it again definitely. I had a very long labor but it was manageable.

Thisimmortalcurl Tue 14-May-19 13:53:10

I loved it .. liked the warmth , felt very natural and most of all the space it gives you . I have spent time 2/3 of my births in pools . Ist one I got out after a few hours to have morphine .. then you have to stay out . Second was to quick to use a pool . Third ended up spending lots of my labour in the poor but had to get out to actually deliver him as he was shoulder dystoria x

TomorrowsPrincess Tue 14-May-19 13:52:01

I had 4 births on the labour ward. Was told I wasn't allowed a water birth for my 5th as I was 'high risk' because it was by 5th. Lovely midwife on the birthing ward ushered me into the birthing pool room and said it was 'fine' and I had my 5th baby in my first ever birthing pool.
I like to be stood up during labour and laid down at the last possible moment as I find it eases pain being upright..... anyways, I can say it was by far my best birth (I've loved giving birth every time)
The room itself was lovely..... a low day bed, twinkling room lights, softly lit, with music if I wanted.
The pool itself is deep!! And you have a couple of steps up to it and then back into it. I loved it..... didn't have swim wear as it was literally last minute... it's up to you what you wear. I ended up in just my bra and even that came off when baby arrived as she went straight to breast in the water.
I wished I had had all my babies in a pool (had my tubes tied now so no more ☹️)

eastertulip Tue 14-May-19 13:45:46

I had one for my last birth and it hurt just as much as the first two (natural, non-water) births. I think I was expecting it to hurt less so was disappointed. This may have more to do with the hypno-birthing nonsense than the pool.

But, I loved the space it gave me. Everyone left me alone in the pool and no one was staring at my cervix and giving me feedback. I would have another water birth just for the space.

ryanreynolds Tue 14-May-19 13:40:25

@beenandgoneandbackagain thanks. What's it like? A big bath? Did it help with the pain?

Sorry for all the questions!

beenandgoneandbackagain Tue 14-May-19 12:34:37

I did part of my labour in a birthing pool and the difference it made was amazing - it really helped me relax and that part of the birthing experience was great. Unfortunately I had a problem and needed a medical delivery but would still recommend a birthing pool.

ryanreynolds Tue 14-May-19 12:28:51

I had it confirmed yesterday that I was eligible to give birth in a midwife centre instead of a delivery suite in a hospital (assuming everything is 'normal') and now have the option of a birthing pool.

I hadn't given it much thought up until now as thought I wouldn't be allowed to - anyone have any experiences? Good or bad? Trying to work out if I think that's something I'm interested in (will have to find swimwear if I am!)

Thanks x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »