Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.


(29 Posts)
preggerschick Wed 18-Jul-07 21:19:04

What are the chances of me having a c section 2nd time around?

with my ds my waters broke at 6.20am and i got to 6cm before they discovered that he was breech and did an ec/s at 10.30pm. This time around i've been told that i have to have a natural birth. i'm petrified and want another c section - because of the pain I felt first time around i don't feel like i've missed out on anything.

Can they force me to go natural? if so Scared they won't let me walk around and will monitor me continuosly too.

fannyannie Wed 18-Jul-07 21:20:39

Not sure about 'forcing' you to go natural. However they CAN NOT stop you walk around or force you to be monitored continously.

northender Wed 18-Jul-07 21:24:38

There have been lots of threads on this topic on MN. Obstetricians will always try to persuade you to try a vbac but any decision should be made after discussion with you. I feel strongly that you have the right to choose even though the cs was due to baby's position. I had elective cs with 2nd baby after sort of emergency cs with 1st. Have not regretted it for a second. Good luck.

preggerschick Wed 18-Jul-07 21:25:06

last time I went into hospital and the pains went from my back to my front and I felt different but didn't know why - was 6 cm so was probably getting ready to get the bum out.

worried that because I haven't experienced proper birth i could have another breech baby and think whats happening is normal. complications etc

preggerschick Wed 18-Jul-07 21:26:34

a lot of people want a vbac but i really feel that i want another c section. i recovered really quickly with first one - plus with staying in hospital for a few days it gives you the chance to bond with new baby before seeing other children.

lulumama Wed 18-Jul-07 21:28:43

are you pregnant with number 2?

this time, you can be more assertive, and can ask for extra scans to check baby is the right way round for birth

also, if you had a c.s due to breech..then there is no medical reason to have a c.section

i believe that it would be really beneficial to address your fears of might be that with some reading, and perhaps going through your notes from your last labour, you will feel more in control, and more able to labour and birth

i would also strongly recommend looking at having a doula, who can support you in having a VBAC or a planned c.section

also, you can refuse constant monitoring, and be active, you can do this! a doula can also help ensure that these things happen

also, staying at home as long as possible, when labour starts, gives you a good chance of getting to the hospital,in good strong established labour, and less chance of being forced to be lying down, monitored constantly etc

daisyandbabybootoo Wed 18-Jul-07 21:29:44

one of the mums on my an thread had a vb first tme around abd fought for a cs second time. she got it as well, but not sre how she argued her case. I'll point her in your direction next time she's around!

northender Wed 18-Jul-07 21:29:45

I was lucky and had really supportive midwives who talked everything through with me so that I felt confident in what I wanted when I talked to the consultant.

fannyannie Wed 18-Jul-07 21:30:41

I had an induced VBAC with DS2 - it was pretty awful, I won't lie, majorly down to the pain relief not working and not knowing I didn't have to be monitored continously. Stayed in overnight because I couldn't support my own weight.

DS3 I had another VBAC, I had NO monitoring at all (apart from hourly checks with a hand held doppler) and spent most of my labour on my knees leaning on the back of the bed - it was REALLY quick and totally awesome (still buzzing nearly 8 weeks on!). Went home 4hrs later.

fannyannie Wed 18-Jul-07 21:31:31

oh yes lulumama's suggestion about trying to find a Doula is an excellent one - I had one for DS3's birth and I'm 100% positive that it helped.

preggerschick Wed 18-Jul-07 21:32:08

yes having 2nd baby in nov. I was petrified 1st time around. unfortunately dh was rubbish and slept whilst i was pacing floor - not very supportive. so the more pain i got the more fear i felt. this time around still scared although m/w did say I would have had baby a lot quicker last time if ds had been correct way around. was text book labour - waters broke,back pain,contractions etc etc probably wouldn't have had any complications if ds had been correct way around.

preggerschick Wed 18-Jul-07 21:33:29

is it true that you can't have epidural if you've had c section?

lulumama Wed 18-Jul-07 21:35:04

an epidural can mask possible pain of scar rupture.. so it can be contra indicated for VBAC

there are other options to help manage the pain

also epi does increase risk of further interventions, mainly due to keeping oyu confined to a bed

AlbusPercivalWulfricBrianSun Wed 18-Jul-07 21:36:46

PC this has scared me a little. I had EMCS after being in labour for 3 days with DS. Neither DP nor I want to go through that again so were banking on being to opt for a CS next time. My sister had to fight to get a VBAC so I assumed it wouldn't be a problem. Be interested to see what happens with you.

fannyannie Wed 18-Jul-07 21:37:17

preggers - I had an epidural - and the maximum number of allowed 'top-ups' when I was induced with DS2 (mind you it didn't work so waste of time really LOL).

DS3 was just gas and air - although as I ready to start pushing (but I didn't believe them when they told me ) I decided I wanted an epi as "I couldn't take any more".....tough I was told it's too late. And sure enough DS3 was there 17 minutes later.

lulumama Wed 18-Jul-07 21:39:09

with my VBAC, I had pethidine and gas& air, and delivered an OP baby, with an intact perineum

preggerschick Wed 18-Jul-07 21:39:47

when i go and see midwife i think i'll ask if ican have another sacn - not sure if they'll let me as baby can turn around at any time. plus had ds at 37 weeks last time so even if they book scan might be too late for me.

AlbusPercivalWulfricBrianSun why did you have c scetion last time?

AlbusPercivalWulfricBrianSun Wed 18-Jul-07 21:41:19

I was induced on Tuesday and was still 9 cm on by Thursday afternoon. DS had started to get a little distressed as well so was induced because of failure to progress.

daisyandbabybootoo Wed 18-Jul-07 21:41:44

i had an emcs after lengthy labour then DS getting stuck as well as knotty rim of tissue on my cervix. I had my DD six weeks ago and was offered the choice of VBAC or CS.

I had originally wanted a vbac but as the time approached i got more freaked and after much deliberation went for another cs.

I don't regret my choice as it was right for me at the time, but I wish I'd had the courage of my original conviction.

fannyannie Wed 18-Jul-07 21:42:06

I specifically didn't want pethidine as I'm sure that's part of the reason that DS2 didn't feed well to start with (very sleepy) - so didn't have it with DS3........though you beat me with perenium intact - I had 3 small sutures (sp) after him (my fault that I didn't want to wait for another contraction to do the last push so did a whopping great one to get him out

PS sorry for thread hi-jack.

lisad123 Wed 18-Jul-07 21:43:15

Hi preggers

I know what you mean, you would rather go with what you know. I decided i wanted another section this time round as i knew what to exspect. however, after much more research and support from consultant i will try for VBAC.
Do lots of research and seriously think about having to spent time in hospital.


preggerschick Wed 18-Jul-07 21:47:37

time in hospital is away from ds but will give me chance to bond with new baby - wouldn't want to do it if i had to stay on a ward but sil had baby and stayed in private room and was loads better - I was her birth partner - she looked she was having a big poo, she handled it really well - hardly broke out in a sweat - still didn't reassure me or make me want a vbac though

lisad123 Wed 18-Jul-07 22:05:00

I know time in hospital would give more time with the baby, but you need to think about the impact on your ds, feeling pushed out ect. I do know how your feeling, i truely do and am very scarced of vbac, more so that section. Please talk it over with consultant or MW and research as much as possible. good luck


preggerschick Wed 18-Jul-07 22:11:48

hmmm fair one - just assuming that he'll be fine but dh is always away (squaddie) so i do everything for ds. come to think of it when dh is home i still do everything for ds so will be a bit of a shock for him. good luck. let me know how you get on

lisad123 Wed 18-Jul-07 22:17:06

I didnt want to sound like i was making out you hadnt thought about your son, im sure you have thought long and hard. My DD is due to start school 4 weeks before this LO arrives abd i wonder how she'll manage. I spent 7 weeks in hopsital last time so the less time there the better
I hope you get the birthing experience you want and do whats best for you.


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: