Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Extreme thirst

(21 Posts)
helenelisabeth Wed 18-Jul-07 21:07:58

I am finding that I am drinking PINTS of water a day. Is anyone else the same? Can there be something wrong for me to be so thirsty?

tiredemma Wed 18-Jul-07 21:08:55

pregnancy diabetes?

WigWamBam Wed 18-Jul-07 21:08:58

Could be gestational diabetes.

How far along are you?

WigWamBam Wed 18-Jul-07 21:08:58

Could be gestational diabetes.

How far along are you?

tiredemma Wed 18-Jul-07 21:10:49

here

gestational diabetes

suezee Wed 18-Jul-07 21:11:15

yeah could be gestational diabetes....i would ring the midwife and tell them about it, they will perform a glucose tolerance test on you

helenelisabeth Wed 18-Jul-07 21:12:37

I am nearly 33 weeks. I am suffering with polyhydroamnios (too much amniotic fluid) so wondering whether that could be reason (doubt it though). Being checked on Friday for diabetes etc so maybe. Just wondered whether it was normal or not!! I was the same though with my first DD and also craved icecubes.

peachypie Wed 18-Jul-07 21:13:35

Yes i sgree gestational diabetes. I was thirsty immediatley after i had drank i pint of water. Def contact midwife. How many weeks are you?

claraq Wed 18-Jul-07 21:14:58

No I am thirsty ALL the time too and don't think it's diabetes. Think it's just being pregnant (although don't take my word for it!). My problem is water doesn't do it for me so I have spent my whole pregnancy trying to find something to quench my thirst without making me feel sick. So far I have done diet coke, lemon fanta, fizzy flavoured water, lemon squash and am now onto rhurbarb and ginger cordial (!). Juice unfortunately makes me ill.....

helenelisabeth Wed 18-Jul-07 21:15:29

Told midwife on Monday - she said there is no glucose in my water but I am having glucose test done in hospital because of the polyhydroamnios.

claraq Wed 18-Jul-07 21:17:01

Oh oh having read that link now I am paranoid.

DarrellRivers Wed 18-Jul-07 21:18:14

It can just be a symptom of pregnancy.
I never had it but I'm sure a read a few stories of mumsnetters who were v thirsty the whole way through pregnancy

WigWamBam Wed 18-Jul-07 21:19:01

Polyhydroamnios can be caused by GD - which, of course, is why they're doing the GTT.

poppyknot Wed 18-Jul-07 21:22:38

I did this - I would have a two litre bottle of water by the bed at night and otfen drank it all.

I had the glucose test and was OK for diabetes but the nurse suggested having a flask full of ice cubes.

This did help!

Sucking on the cubes took my mind of the thirst. And it was more seemly than gluging on gallons of water.

It was almost seven years ago now but I still remember the sheer discomfort of the thirst. I also found that milk (which I would never usually have drunk) helped. We used to go for Sunday milkshakes as a treat!

lazycat Wed 18-Jul-07 21:24:24

i've got this too. gallons of water and litres of squash!

helenelisabeth Wed 18-Jul-07 22:30:38

At the moment I am drinking my 4th pint of water - since 6pm! Terrible thing, thirst. I feel like I have been stranded in the desert with not a tap in sight!

lazycat Wed 18-Jul-07 22:44:03

drinking second pint of squash in... ooh, not very long. will rot my teeth...

Naetha Wed 18-Jul-07 23:13:29

First of all - sugar free squash is so much better for you than the normal stuff!! And I don't know about you, but I can't tell the difference!

I've been really thirsty recently, and I had a few paranoid moments about gestational diabetes, then I realised I only got excessively thirsty when I ate chocolate. It would only take one little chocolate from the box of Roses we've got open at the moment, but that would trigger me to drink non stop until I'd drink about three pints of water. I'd be at the point of throwing up with fullness, and still be thirsty. Yet the next day the thirst wouldn't start until I'd had a chocolate. Have a look at your diet and see if maybe there's anything there that might be triggering it?

lazycat Wed 18-Jul-07 23:41:45

Tend to avoid the sugar-free stuff as it tends to be full of artificial sweeteners. Interesting about the chocolate!

aikigypsy Wed 18-Jul-07 23:48:24

I'm drinking a gallon of water a day, I think, double what I would normally drink, and I think it's just pregnancy. I suppose it could be something else, but I hadn't thought of it before.

PurpleLostPrincess Thu 19-Jul-07 12:07:52

I'm drinking loads of water but I reckon its just a pg thing. At first, it was the only thing that didn't make me feel sick when I had HG, now its the only thing (other than milk) that doesn't give me heartburn! I'm far more thirsty than usual but I think its just my body telling me it needs water to keep baby happy!? My GTT was fine btw...

I have been caught sucking on ice cubes before and often have a lolly to try and quench my thirst which does help. Also, I eat lots of jelly - have you tried that?

PLP xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now