Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Could I choose c-section over induction?

(33 Posts)
Moorhen Wed 18-Jul-07 19:20:15

Am 40+4, got midwife appt tomorrow where I suspect we will be discussing options should I go much longer without labour.

Having read up on induction on this site and others, and being terrified of painful and prolonged birth anyway, I am very very keen not to be induced. It is my understanding that you are far more likely to need intervention, more likely to tear/be cut and more likely to need emergency c-section. Frankly, would rather cut out the middleman and just have planned section if it came to it.

Is this a reasonable request? And does anyone know where I might find more info on induction outcomes (esp for first-time mothers)?

Devonshire Wed 18-Jul-07 19:22:39

i have had inductions with both my 2, needed no intervention and got by on tens and gas and air.

i thought i was a wimp about these things but it wasn't half as bad as i thought, esp with dd as i refused constant monitoring and was able to be up and active.

good luck with your decision

Bibis Wed 18-Jul-07 19:24:33

Why are you being induced?

why not wait?

A normal pregnancy can last between 37 to 42 weeks so you are not even overdue yet, if you go into spontaneous labour you are much more likely to avoid intervention

Devonshire Wed 18-Jul-07 19:29:16

i was allowed to go 41 + 3 before i was induced.

might not the recovery and possible complications from a c-section be just as daunting as a potentially prolonged induced birth?

(i don't have an opinion on c-sections, just think you are right to explore your options fully)

maisym Wed 18-Jul-07 19:29:22

if there's no medical reason then you could wait to see what happens.

a c/s is a major op and imho best avoided.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 18-Jul-07 19:33:12

c-section is not 'intervention' its major surgery. I pushed one out with much intervention after a prolonged labour then 2nd one was c section and I would go for the prolonged labour any time.
Cos when its over, its over. (cept for my piles and the fanny stitches healed a lot quicker than my section scar.
btw I was due to be induced at 41+6 but went into labour just as I was about to set off to be induced. You are hardly over due yet, stop fretting about something thats not even on the cards yet.

Bibis Wed 18-Jul-07 19:33:20

another point to remember is that if you choose a section this time, you will always have to fight to have an active birth if you have any more.

I speak from bitter experience.

As another poster has pointed out a section is major abdominal surgery, it will make a difference to your life with your new born baby, things will be tougher for you.

I am amazed that any medic would agree to it anyway.

I went to 42 +3 with my last, what is a few weeks when you will have the rest of your life with son?

All only my own opinion, but it really is a life changing decision

Moorhen Wed 18-Jul-07 19:35:57

Sorry, should have made clearer - at the moment I`m not being induced or anything, I wanted to do a bit of research now just in case so nothing gets sprung on me and I can ask more intelligent questions.

Wait and see, yes, but OTOH am also completely desperate to get this LO out - my nerves are in shreds!

CarGirl Wed 18-Jul-07 19:43:40

I have had 4 inductions (overdue for all of them!) 2 were really long to get me going, 2 were quite quick - 10 hours from the first lot of gel. I've had 1 average and 3 huge babies (and I'm a size 8 and 5'2") apart from having my waters broken twice and having the gel I have had no other intervention and only one tiny stitch.

Inducement can be unpleasant but I was "back to normal" really quick - discharged myself from hospital after hours etc. I know someone who has had 4 natural and 1 section she said the section was awful, couldn't believe how painful it was etc it is major surgery.

BTW start take your arnica now it is amazing stuff and you will be having your baby soon!

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 18-Jul-07 19:45:12

Babies come when they are ready! As its your first then just enjoy the time left with your feet up and nipples intact.
Please do let us know the midwifes reaction if you ask for a section to save you being induced though

reikizen Wed 18-Jul-07 19:49:24

I've had 1 induction and looked after several women after c-sections and I'd go for induction in this Hobson's choice. Don't forget you can't drive for 6 weeks after c-section and you'll need plenty of help around the house. Induction doesn't have to lead to the 'cascade of intervention'. The only further intervention I had was an epidural due to horrible nausea & vomiting. You can help things by keeping mobile and keeping positive.
Like some of the others said, hang on if you can though, as long as you and baby are okay you can wait, and I speak as one who had one 16 days late and one 10 days late so I know if gets worrying as the days tick by.

kid Wed 18-Jul-07 19:49:47

I'd expect them to do a sweep before induction as that often gets things moving. I had an induction (gel and drip) with DD and ended with an emergency c-section.
I opted for an elective c-section with DS, while the experience was much more pleasant, the recovery was so much longer.

Moorhen Wed 18-Jul-07 19:54:30

Flibbertyjibbet, I am sure you don`t mean to sound dismissive. I am also sure that from the perspective of having given birth successfully this sounds silly.

But before getting pg I had absolute phobia of childbirth. Was keeping a handle on it pretty well during pregnancy, but every day overdue, with prospect of induction and greater intervention, scares the sh*te out of me more. Have also just had growth scan because LO has slowed right down and probs with placenta suspected.

Also have one friend who is still in serious pain and has problems from her 3rd degree tear 18 months on, and another friend with a seriously brain damaged child after induction and incompetent forceps attempt leading to em cs. I would do anything rather than go through what she has.

CarGirl Wed 18-Jul-07 19:59:14

Okay well that puts a different slant on it, you need to talk through some of this with a "good" midwife ie one that you feel you can be open with. You can chat through your options, tell her your fears and perhaps put down some specifics on your birth plan. It's really important that you try and calm down about all of it as being frightened could make it all more painful/less likely to happen?

Bibis Wed 18-Jul-07 20:00:23

But brain damage is so relatively rare, have you looked into the medical pros and cons of section versus natural.

I cannot believe that you would actually go for major surgery rather than wait for a few more days.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 18-Jul-07 20:02:31

I was not being dismissive, thats why I did a .
You didn't put all this information in your op, if the baby's growth has slowed then its probable that they will try to get the baby out sooner, whether by induction or cesarean.
Your op did make it sound as though you were going to say 'no thanks I'll have a section' if an induction was offered.
We are all terrified before giving birth the first time, then you get over it and before you know it your hormones are making you want to do it again.
Please let us know how you get on with the m/w tomorrow and whatever they tell you is best you can ask for all our advice on.

blahblahblahniks Wed 18-Jul-07 20:04:59

I had an induction and then a c-section, the problem with inductions is - if the baby isn't ready to come out - it won't come out.

On the positive side I found recovery from the section a doddle compared to the trauma of the induction - but then I had pre-eclampsia and a rapidly failing liver, I don't think it was entirely the fault of the induction.

Also there are degrees of induction vis:

Stretch and sweep
Prostanglandin gels
Syntocin (you want to avoid this if you can!)

I had the last two.

Personally I would opt for regular fetal monitoring (as is your right) and wait another week before worrying.

CarGirl Wed 18-Jul-07 20:10:22

As blahblah says there are different level of inductions I've gone as far as a controlled ARM (which is ARM when the baby is very high up still and they shove the baby downwards to reduce the risk of prolapse cord - painful & unpleasant but for me did the job) you could discuss the fact that if the pessaries do not work sufficiently then you don't want to go down the ARM route (artificial rupture of membranes) etc.

I think one difficulty can be that once labour has started and the baby moves very low a section can then be tricky.

Moorhen Wed 18-Jul-07 20:12:01

Flibberty, I thought I`d read you wrong but thanks for posting again to make sure. I am sorry, being on edge does naff all for my ability to think...

Didn`t want to go into it all straight off as it`s pretty depressing, but reading back, can see that without the supporting info it does all sound a bit glib.

The point about different degrees of induction is a good one, I think syntocinon (sp?) is the one I was concerned about. Will read up about different options IF it comes to it.

I think basic problem re putting feet up is that it gives me too much time to think/get on the net! I am going to keep busy tomorrow before my appointment.

Thanks for all the different opinions here, though, certainly food for thought. V grateful.

lulumama Wed 18-Jul-07 20:13:30

some women need to be pregnant for longer

also, if your cervix is not ripe, induction can take longer

spontanoues labour tends to have a better, less interventionist outcome

it is awful you know 3 women who have suffered such degrees of trauma in childbirth

to put the other side of the coin, there is a mumsnetter who suffered serious damage with a c.s, that has possibly contributed to her multiple miscarriages, and it is not always the answer

there are risks with each birth, vaginal or c.s...and it is weighing up those risks, and doing all you can to reduce or even eliminate some of those risks

a stretch and sweep can help set you off, and certainly allow the midwife to assess how ready you could be for induciton

as long as your scan for placental function was ok, is there any reason not to wait

may i also suggest some relaxation/ visualisation, to really get some positive , strong images of birth into your head, as your own state of mind can have an impact on how labour is

blahblahblahniks Wed 18-Jul-07 20:20:13

This won't make you feel any better but when we finally sat down after DDs birth and worked it out - I was induced at 43+6 and she still showed no inclination to come out. I think some babies need more time inside that's all.

Good luck. May the cramps of labour beset your Saturday

Hulababy Wed 18-Jul-07 20:22:20

Is it your first? Any past experience?

I had induction with DD at 41+5 (I think). It did not work and, for me, was a bad experience. It resulted in a c section 50 hours later. If I were to have a second I will not go through induction again. I would prefer a c section any day.

However I don't think I would have made that deciosn with my first.

MuffinMclay Wed 18-Jul-07 20:27:26

I had an induction at 38 weeks (pre-eclampsia) as a first-timer, and my experience was fine. I had one dose of the gel on the Thursday evening, wnet into labour early on Friday morning, and had ds after a 5 hour labour (with only gas and air).

I know I was very lucky (3 others in on the same day as me for induction were still waiting for any action a few days later), but not all experiences are bad.

Tinkjon Wed 18-Jul-07 21:02:20

I'd say that it depends on exactly how frightened of labour and induction you are. I was literally phobic about it and I believe I came fairly close to having a breakdown over it. Yes, Flibbertygibbet, everyone is frightened of labour and most people are able to get over it - but a small minority aren't and in those cases a C-section can be (not 'is'!) the answer.

Moorhen Thu 19-Jul-07 18:30:44

OK, saw midwife today and she is coming round to mine to do a stretch and sweep on Sat morning. I do not know if that is to give me the benefit of the privacy of my own home, or so I don`t scare other women by yelling...

She pretty much poo poo-ed any concerns I had about increased rates of intervention from induction, and said she would let me know what date had been booked for my induction on Saturday when she comes round. She had two trainee midwives in the room with her, a huge list of patients and was already running 40 mins late, so did not feel like the best time to start in-depth convo about my worries.

Am hoping Sat, with DH in attendance, will be better for discussion. In fact, let`s face it am hoping will not NEED wretched sweep let alone anything else.

Feel scared and powerless. I had got used to the idea I could cope with a basic labour (or failing that a calm, planned op), but this is horrible and totally out of control. Almost wish I`d never got pg. Not crying but could easily

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: