Talk

Advanced search

would you ask your friend is she minded you using a name.......

(6 Posts)
mum2sam Wed 18-Jul-07 11:26:36

i really like a name but its a name one of my friends has always liked and was gonna name her babies if she had a girl. Well shes ended up with two boys and says that is enough for her but she might consider in a few years depending on how she feels. Well i really like the name sophie but feel awkward knowing that was the name she would have or would give her little girl if she ever did one.Would you just go ahead anyhow.

And what do you think of these names:

Joseph Alex or Alex Joseph for a boy

Sophie Isabella

Jessica Paige

Erin Jade

Lois

for a girl

Elasticwoman Wed 18-Jul-07 13:53:46

Sophie is not a rare enough name for you to have to ask permission, imo. Not that I think you need permission anyway, just because your friend likes that name. If she does go ahead and have another baby, and if that baby is a girl, she can still use the name Sophie.

In the 17th or 18th century I think Jade was one of the many slang terms for prostitute.

Paige: now what is that name about? Certainly not saintly or royal. Quite a few of them about in schools at the mo; my guess is it will sound v dated in a few years.

bossykate Wed 18-Jul-07 13:56:17

go ahead and use sophie - names are "public property" imo - you can't reserve one.

love joseph and alex(ander)

love isabella

like sophie

don't like the others sorry.

Greensleeves Wed 18-Jul-07 13:59:11

I would gently consult her, just out of consideration really, rather than obligation. I'm sure she'll know she can't really object, but she might appreciate the thought.

LittleLupin Wed 18-Jul-07 14:01:13

My niece is Sophie Isobel, so I love that one!

And of COURSE use it! What would it matter even if she has a girl in the future? Two Sophies - not a big deal

fortyplus Wed 18-Jul-07 14:05:02

Sophie is a very popular name - no need to consult her imo - when you tell her just say something like 'I know it's a name you love'.

As for the others - I think Lois is a bit dated - and I know someone really horrid called Lois!

Paige will date quickly but I guess it's ok for a middle name.

All your other choices are fine with me - but I'm an old fogey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now