Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

BEST SLEEPING POSITION

(7 Posts)
D2Jenx Mon 16-Jul-07 10:40:39

Has anyone got any ideas which way i am supposed to be sleeping (when i eventually can sleep!)
I have read that i am only supposed to sleep on my left side? as you stop the baby breathing when laying on your back and your squashing something when laying on your right?
Obviously laying on one side the whole night is not working as i get the usual aches etc and i have to get up.......
Any ideas out there?
39 weeks today and counting

miniegg Mon 16-Jul-07 11:16:46

hello
don't worry, you can sleep on both sides and even on your back if you're really struggling, though i doubt you'll find it comfortable!
the issue with sleeping on your back is that the baby is then on top of your ulnar artery, which can make you (rather than the baby!) breathless/faint. I don't believe it's actually dangerous for the baby though i'm not a doctor.
Sleeping on your left side is supposed to be optimum for the baby, but i don't think anyone expects you to lay there rigidly all night! a mixture of left and right side is fine.
do you have a maternity/pregnancy pillow?
As you are now 39 weeks you may not think it is worth it, but it's made all the difference to me! Mine is a long sausage shape, (ooh-er!) from Mothercare, about 4ft long and cost about £25. ideally i'd like two (one on either side of me so i can turn over and not have to move the pillow with me) but there's only so much the husband will tolerate!
it does take up half the bed and is like the Berlin wall between you and your man but it's so comfy for supporting your bump.
I'm 40 weeks now and am wondering if i'll want to give up my special pillow even when the baby's popped out!
good luck

ejt1764 Mon 16-Jul-07 11:19:37

I suffer with spd, and now sleep on my side with a dramatic arrangement of pillows ... I have:
2 under my head (1 of which is an ergonomic one)
2 between my knees
1 in front of me to 'hug', and to slip slightly under my bump.

This arrangement helps, and when I get up to go to the loo in the night, I can turn over, and rearrange my pillows accordingly.

Have fun!

D2Jenx Mon 16-Jul-07 11:21:29

Thanks thats a great help. Yeh it sounds like i have the exact same pillow. I have had it since about 3 months. The husband hates it! ha ha
Good luck xx

miniegg Mon 16-Jul-07 11:26:43

mine has christened the pillow "Kurt." he felt a German name was appropriate for something that resembled the Berlin wall and prevented all physical contact between us!
good luck!

D2Jenx Mon 16-Jul-07 11:34:38

At least yours has been accepted. Mine still is found on the floor everytime i leave the room. Think he feels it is taking his place...poor sod.

Rach35 Tue 17-Jul-07 13:23:05

I invested in some special foam to go on the top of a mattress (aka memory foam, or mattress topper). It has been an absolute godsend and I would recommend it to ANY pregnant lady! It is about 2-3 inches thick and molds to your body. you can buy them from Dunelm Mill Shop - a King size one was about £100 - not cheap but you keep it on the bed. It is like lying on fluffy pillows and I find my knees and hips are supported and I have slept brilliantly. My mum has even got one and she has arthritis and this has reduced her morning stiffness and reduced pain. Bliss - I promise!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: