Talk

Advanced search

Completely baffled!! Maybe I am just fat after all...

(9 Posts)
ManchesterMummy2b Sun 15-Jul-07 20:00:02

Okay, so in the general scheme of things this isn't a problem, but I am just so astounded by something that happened yesterday I just have to tell...

Went to M&S to get measured for a bra - for the first time in my life I have quite a cleavage

I'm standing there, top off, with my 28 week pregnant belly in elasticated jeans. Girl says to me (I don't mean to be mean but she did look about 15!) tape measure in hand "What are you after?".

Me: A bra!
Girl: What kind of bra?
Me: Anything really, I just need some extra support...
Girl: What, anything?!
Me: Well, I appreciate I don't need a nursing bra just yet.
Girl: Are you, like, expecting then?
Me: Yes, I am pregnant.
Girl: Really? Oh right...

Spent the rest of the day asking all and sundry "Do I look fat, or pregnant?". Totally paranoid now!

just had to share...

nailpolish Sun 15-Jul-07 20:05:14

i remember a stage when i didnt look pg i just looked like i had put on a f ew pounds

dotn worry about what a teenager thinks - her mind was probably on what she was doing this weekend

it passes dont worry - and then you get a real bump

RedLorryYellowLorry Sun 15-Jul-07 20:08:40

I was asked when I was due the other week - I'm not

ManchesterMummy2b Sun 15-Jul-07 20:12:56

Redlorry - how terrible!!!

Looking forward to actually having a proper bump. Thought I was doing okay in the bump stakes, but I guess not - just look like I've eaten all the pies...

PinkPotterWeasleys Sun 15-Jul-07 20:14:30

Imagine if she'd assumed you were and you weren't - maybe she was just being careful!

dejags Sun 15-Jul-07 20:15:31

I had the same when I was six months pregnant on the beach. I was wearing a bikini with a t-shirt over the top.

I couldnt believe it when I mentioned to a woman I got chatting to that I was pregnant and she said she couldn't tell.

Gutted I was.

ManchesterMummy2b Sun 15-Jul-07 20:18:41

Never thought of that - maybe she said something similar to the last lady she measured and was wrong!!!

All fun and games!

agnesnitt Sun 15-Jul-07 23:17:29

RedLorry... I once made a hideous faux pas like you experienced when I worked in ladies fashion retail. I used to work for a shop catering to those ladies for whom TopShop and company don't quite love. One very hectic Saturday I saw no less than four pregnant ladies in the space of two hours. All looking to get something nice and sparkly for the Christmas season but not wanting to shell out for expensive maternity gear that would be worn maybe three times then discarded. Comes to almost close of shift, and a 'pregnant' lady appears. I smile, and say "aha, another bump to be besparkled!" I was mortified when she said she wasn't pregnant. Hats off to her though, she knew me from past shopping and laughed when I explained why I had assumed. When you see so many pregnant bellies in one day you start to assume that all bellies have babies in them, even when you're working in the store I did

Agnes

beansprout Mon 16-Jul-07 10:12:15

I think there is a particular image of what a pregnant woman looks like (fairly slim, clearly defined bump) and people aren't aware of all our variations. To be fair, she's a teenager, so she wouldn't be aware of this and also, she probably does see a lot of people with a similar shape who aren't pregnant!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now