Talk

Advanced search

Iron deficiency...

(4 Posts)
Naetha Fri 13-Jul-07 22:07:00

About 5 years ago I had an iron deficiency, and had to take pills and improve my diet drastically (hey, I was a student!).

Now I'm 16 weeks pregnant and I'm getting all the symptoms again (fatigue continuing/getting worse into second trimester, palpitations, sore corners of mouth, tingliness etc) if I tell my MW at our next meeting will she sort stuff out, or will I have to have more tests, more doctors visits etc etc?

Anyone got any experience of this?

Also, what will they give me for it - will it be Spatone/Floradix, in which case might I just as well avoid the middle man and get it myself?

Cheers folks

CountTo10 Fri 13-Jul-07 22:09:05

I'm not sure about the ins and outs of what they'll give you but I had anaemia late on in my pg which is very normal. It was picked up in the standard blood tests you have and they just gave me some iron tablets to take. It's one of the things they test for throughout your pg so that if your levels do drop they can give you something before it starts really making you ill.

berolina Fri 13-Jul-07 22:13:32

I'm 31 weeks and anaemic. Had been warned a couple of times my levels were sinking but am afraid I didn't take it seriously enough at first (cynical me thought the fact that the doctor's assistant immediately recommended a specific brand of tablet meant they just wanted to help the local chemist shift some ) so am now signed off with the anaemia combined with exhaustion. I'm taking 2 Floradix a day and trying to eat iron-rich stuff, and beginning to feel better. Oh, and plenty of Vitamin C too, it helps absorption (am not taking that, just eating lots of fruit and drinking orange juice).

MarsLady Fri 13-Jul-07 22:20:52

Lots of green veg, tofu, orange juice, red meat. Apricots... I'm sure you know the drill. But look after yourself honey. You're growing a baby!

Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now