Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

New job when pregnant... do I have to tell?

(17 Posts)
sabinar Thu 12-Jul-07 17:34:52

I know we have a few legal eagles on the boards... just wondering if anyone could help me with this.

I'm in the process of talking to some people about a new job... I wasn't planning to, it just kind of happened... and it's a fantastic job and I'd really like it.

Of course, I'm going to tell them, soon - and before I accept a job offer from them - that I'm pregnant because I don't think it's fair to withhold that information. Their company is quite new and small and having to support someone being away for a while might have a serious impact on their company... but I was just wondering what the legal position is.

Do I have to tell them now? (I'm at 14 weeks), or do I not actually have to tell them until about 15 weeks before it's due? (what week number is 15 weeks before due date anyways? that would be much more helpful to know than '15 weeks before'... sorry... tangent).

Anyone know about this?

thanks in advance!

mad4girls Thu 12-Jul-07 18:03:38

not sure where the law stands but i was offered a job at 21 wks whilst in the interview, (i was going to say i was pregnant at the end but didnt get chance)

when i said i wanted to accpet the job but obviouslt i was pregnant she was shocked, i was mortified i was huge did she really think i was that fat

sorry doesnt really help you does it but funny all the same

Roskva Thu 12-Jul-07 18:29:48

Legally you are obliged to tell your employer you are pregnany no later than 15 weeks before your due date, see this link, which is presumably 25 weeks, as a pregnancy is assumed to be 40 weeks. If the job involves x-rays, heavy lifting, handling dangerous materials, etc, obviously you should tell them before so they can do a risk assessment and so that you don't have to do anything that could put you or your baby at risk. So it is up to you whether you choose to tell them yet. If you told them, and they revoked the offer, or didn't make you an offer having indicated that they would, that would be automatic sex discrimination anyway.

If it makes you feel better, small businesses can claim back 90% of the amount of money they pay out in statutory maternity pay - basically it reduces the amount of employers' NICs they pay for that period of time. However, speaking as an employer, it can be quite difficult to find a temporary person to cover the position during maternity leave.

sabinar Thu 12-Jul-07 21:52:00

thanks Roskva, that's really helpful.

Now I just need to give it some thought to see if it's a good decision for me and then, if I go forward with it... see what their reaction would be.

Keep imagining if I was in their position... I certainly wouldn't be thrilled...

we'll see I guess!

HailBop Fri 13-Jul-07 12:51:07

Hi Sabinar,

I'm in the same position at the moment, interviewing for a great finance job and am worried about pregnancy affecting my chances. I'm thinking of bringing it up if I am offered the job, but otherwise will leave it off my CV!
Does anybody else have experience starting a new job whilst pregnant?

MonkeyandBabyBoo Fri 13-Jul-07 13:07:04

I went for an 2 interviews with the same firm a few years back before I knew I was pregnant with ds, it was for a good job which I really wanted , it took them a couple of months from 1st interview to offering me the job by which time I knew I was pregnant, I told them I was expecting and she said 'oh thats a shame, well if you are still looking for a new position once you've had the baby, get back in touch' and that was it does that mean I was discriminated against??

JARM Fri 13-Jul-07 13:10:30

I went for a job when pg with DD1, he really wanted to take me on, but it was to cover another person on maternity, and our dates clashed. I was gutted.

Am now almost 21 weeks, and no chance of finding a job when DH gets kicked out the army in 3 weeks time because i know no-one will take me on

justaphase Fri 13-Jul-07 13:25:42

Similar experiense. Discovered I was pregnant during the interview process, told them, they pulled the offer. I really wanted the job...

I am not bitter however. I think you need to be able to dedicate a lot of time and effort to a new job - it is not a good time in your life to do this.

Oblomov Fri 13-Jul-07 13:32:03

Worked at a firm of accountant where a senior manager joined. She must have either known / or fallen pregnant very soon. She never told them till the last minute. No one even noticed !!!!! She hid it so well. She was so nice. I was a junior then. I don't think they were very impressed. But who cares. I certainly wouldn't tell anyone at interview. If I was starting a new job, I would tell them at the last possible 'legal' moment, If I was healthy and there was no real reason to tell.
Some like to tell of their good news very early. But you are under no obligation to.

mimicakey Fri 13-Jul-07 13:58:11

You don't want to shoot yourself in the foot though. I think if you took the job without telling them it might not turn out to be the great job you think it is now, especially if it's a small company. They will probably resent the fact that you knew but still took the job. Colleagues too, I guess it depends on the type of work but people won't really be able to hand stuff over to you completely because they know they'll be getting it back in a few months.

Are they likely to have another position open when you're ready to go back to work?

Oblomov Fri 13-Jul-07 14:28:54

The thing is, that I admit thatI have quite strong opinions that companies do what is best for the company. Period. I accept that they have to do this, in order to survive. The days of loyalty are long gone. A company would have redundancies, not without a second thought, but almost. Because they must. The employee must look after themselves.
That is just my personal opinion. I may not have applied, knowing that I was pregnant. But you have to make 'yourself' a priority.
Will you return after your child ?
Do what suits you.

lostsoxs Fri 13-Jul-07 16:40:16

Hi Sabinar
i started a new job when i was pregnant - cant remember how far i was - maybe 10 weeks or so. I had some complications and when i told them i would have been about 15 weeks. My boss wanted me to keep it to myself until he had told office manager but there wasnt an opportunity to tell him until i was about 17 weeks. Then i told everyone else in the company.
It was a small company and having been sacked whilst pregnant before i wasnt going to take the risk of another sexual discrim case and just kept it to myself.
You have to do what is best for you.
hth

Babylovesmuffins Fri 13-Jul-07 17:26:22

Hi Sabinar.
One of my friends interviewed while she was pregnant and told the company when they offered her. They asked her to come back to them if she was still interested after she'd had her baby. She has just handed in her notice to her current employer, during her maternity leave, and starts with this company next month when she finishes her ML.

Are you working at the moment with another company? One thing to keep in mind is your maternity rights - if you haven't worked for a company for a certain length of time (I think 26 weeks but don't quote me on that ) you wouldn't be entitled to the same maternity pay, so it might not make sense financially to jump ships at this stage.

However, I do think it would be sexual discrimination for a company to withdraw an offer on the grounds that you told them you're pregnant. I don't think you have to tell them but it might make sense in the long run to see if you could speak to them again when you finish ML?? If they're a small company and they're growing, they may still be looking to expand at that point.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

miniegg Fri 13-Jul-07 18:42:01

hi
what a dilemma. in my industry (newspapers) they are very macho and I am certain they would pull the offer. When I was offered my job, I didn't even dare tell them I was getting married, as I thought they would assume that would lead to babies and it would jeapardise my chances!
So if the job is really great, i'd keep quiet. but as others have pointed out, there is a risk that they will be seriously pissed off if you don't tell them. you are probably technically within your legal rights not to let on but in some ways it doesn't seem quite "fair" if it is a small company etc. On the other hand we women face enough of a struggle climbing the career ladder without people making it even harder just because we want to have children. So maybe sod them!
Very, very difficult decision! let us know what you decide to do!
good luck

rookiemum Fri 13-Jul-07 18:48:33

Legally you are not obliged to tell them at this stage.

I went for an interview within my own company because my job at that time involved a lot of travelling and didn't see how I could do it once I had a young child, plus my bosses attitude about my pregnancy announcement wasn't great.

I got the job and then told them before I signed the contract. I don't think they were pleased, but there is not a lot they could do about it. I did a really good job and my boss did say before I went on maternity leave that I was the right person for the job ( having said that though I am not convinced she would have offered it to me if she had known I was pregnant)

However do think carefully if you want to go back p/t. I know legally that all companies have to consider it, but if you haven't had much time to build up credibility in your job then they may look for reasons not to accept it.

I would do exactly the same thing all over again, I really like my job now and there is no way any other department would have considered me once I had already reduced my hours so whilst pregnant is probably the best time to do it.

WideWebWitch Fri 13-Jul-07 18:50:13

I don't think beign pregnant precludes you from earning a living. If they offer and withdraw becauae you're preg it's discrimination, pure and simple.

Why would you tell them? You intend to go back, what's the problem?

PurlyQueen Fri 17-Aug-07 20:59:03

Sorry about the late reply - I've just discovered this thread.
I work in newspapers, like miniegg. When I started at the first one I didn't tell them I was getting married for exactly the same reasons.
Now I am down to the last two for another job that I really like and I don't know what to do as I'm only eight weeks. I'm taking the approach that if they offer it to me, then I'll come clean then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: