Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nuchal translucency scan in East Anglia - any info please

(13 Posts)
pobletsmum Thu 12-Jul-07 17:13:43

I'm thinking about having a Nuchal translucency ultrasound combined with the blood test, in about 3 weeks (will be 12 weeks pg at start of August). I've searched the internet for private companies offering this but there doesn't seem to be much on offer in East Anglia. I'd rather not travel as far as London.

I rang Baby Premier but the Cambridge clinic doesn't offer the blood test, so I've ruled that one out.

I rang BabyBond and they had trouble fitting me in on the right dates at their Peterborough clinic. The lady on the phone sounded like she didn't have a clue either! Would be interested to hear from anyone who's been to BabyBond, especially the Peterborough one, so I know whether to persevere dates-wise.

Please tell me about any other clinics you have heard of in this general direction.

Many thanks!

Pannacotta Thu 12-Jul-07 17:15:14

Had mine at the Norfolf and Norwich (privately).
Not sure where youa re but ask your WM for details. They offer the blood test as well if you want it.

pobletsmum Thu 12-Jul-07 17:20:58

Thanks pannacotta,

I live close to N&N, and I have the info sheet about their nuchal scans from my MW . From what I've read, they don't offer the same (very early) blood tests as the other private clinics. I would have to wait till 14wks for the tripe test, then a 2 week wait for the resuls, which is a bit too long for me to wait (so impatient!).

Perhaps I need to ring N&N to ask if they would do the early blood tests.

Pannacotta Thu 12-Jul-07 21:03:56

I had my Nuchal scan at 12 weeks and they did offer the blood test to be done v soon after (I didnt have it done), so it might be worth you calling them.
If not how about the Rosie in Cambridge?

3madboys Thu 12-Jul-07 21:13:05

i had a nuchal scan done at the featal medicine centre in london with ds3, i am now preg with baby no 4 and dont want to go all the way to london, so am having it done privately at the n&n in norwich, they have said they will give me the preliminary results when they do the scan, then i have to go back two weeks later to have my bloods done and then that will be put together with the scan to give a more accurate result. tho the scan is pretty accurate on its own

i think its a pita having to wait to, when i had it done in london i had my scan and bloods done at the same time and the results within half an hour

but i dont want to travel to london this time as i would have to arrange childcare for all three boys etc and it adds to the expense.

i dont know of any other places that do the blood test etc in the same way as the fetal medicine centre unfortuanately

pobletsmum Fri 13-Jul-07 09:29:19

Thanks for your input. I've left a message on an ansafone at N&N this morning, so I hope that they will call me back to talk about what they can and can't do for me.

3madboys - BabyBond Peterborough do offer NT with the early screening bloods (which are recommended by NICE), with results back a couple of days after the NT scan, so if I can't get the right answers from N&N I might go down that route. Peterborough would be easier for me than London, if only for the transport side of things. Was the FMC easy to get to? There don't seem to be many more options.

Pannacotta - Rosie in Cambridge? Haven't heard of it, but would be interested if you can give me any info. Thanks.

3madboys Fri 13-Jul-07 10:28:44

yes it was easy to get too, i just got the train to london and then the tube

peterborough is a drivable distance for me, how much does it cost to have it done there?

pobletsmum Fri 13-Jul-07 15:01:10

It's £165. As I said, it takes a couple of days for them to get the blood results. They did say they could send out a blood pack so I could have blood taken locally (not sure that I could persuade surgery though, & would prob be another expense) & post to lab a couple of days before NT scan, then I could get combined result on the spot.

Still waiting for N&N to ring back...

3madboys Fri 13-Jul-07 18:15:37

the guy at n&n rang me back in the evening as thats when the private nuchal scan clinic is open, they replied quite promptly to my message tho and were very nice

teh n&n also give you a blood sample packeage etc, which you then have to post off, or at least thats what he told me

pobletsmum Fri 13-Jul-07 21:05:24

Right, I've spoken to a very helpful consultant at N&N and he said that they won't offer the early bloods, only the triple test ones from 14 weeks. However, he recommended going to the Fetal Medicine Centre in London because the early tests are very accurate when combined with the NT scan, and it's a clinic with an excellent reputation. So... I think I will go to London after all. That's assuming that I can get an appointment!

Tinkjon Fri 13-Jul-07 22:56:10

I think The Oaks hospital in Colchester offer the nuchal scan.

3madboys Sat 14-Jul-07 00:13:51

you should get an app fine i did with ds3, and they were fab, if it wasnt such a hastle with organising chldcare etc for the three boys i would be going there again, its £150 so quite a reasonable price and it really was a good experience.

good luck

pobletsmum Wed 01-Aug-07 20:03:03

Just thought I'd update this one...

Went to FMC today, and it was great. My risk for DS was extremely low, which is fantastic news. The whole experience was wonderful. I had a dating scan locally on monday, but the equipment at FMC is so much more advanced. There was a lot more detail and I got better photos too - a bonus. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now