Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Sorry desperately need help with girls name!! please help.

(75 Posts)
fees Mon 09-Jul-07 20:06:25

Please help me find a girls name to go with Louis and Alfie we have a longish surname, quite like

Mary
Martha
Primrose
kitty
but Dh doesnt!!!!! he likes tilly after his childhood dog that bit him and left a huge scar on his leg!!! I don't mind tilly but really would like something a bit different - please help me x

JARM Mon 09-Jul-07 20:07:21

We are going for Emma

TaylorsMummy Mon 09-Jul-07 20:07:30

matilda? shortern to tilly

milly
maisie
daisy

FioFioJane Mon 09-Jul-07 20:07:42

tilly is lovely, its the pet name for matilda.

go for it

I always wanted tilly but it doesnt go with my surname so I called it my rabbit instead

janeite Mon 09-Jul-07 20:10:21

I like Martha. Don't like Tilly much; wasn't she a cartoon character or something?

Beauregard Mon 09-Jul-07 20:11:24

Matilda is lovely shortened to Tilly and Mattie

Madeline
Violet
Constance or Connie for short
Marne
My friends little girl is Primrose,really suits her!

Posey Mon 09-Jul-07 20:12:10

What letter does your surname start with?

Califrau Mon 09-Jul-07 20:13:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mazzystar Mon 09-Jul-07 20:14:11

I really really like Mary. As I am not one of her parents I guess my opinion doesn't really matter.

Polly? My mum suggested this for dd, forgetting for a moment that ds is called ollie.

hatrickjacqueline Mon 09-Jul-07 20:14:37

Message withdrawn

elasticbandstand Mon 09-Jul-07 20:14:47

martha my dear, from the beatles..

is tilly popular then.
how about matilda

Hulababy Mon 09-Jul-07 20:15:23

I love Matilda, shortened to Tilly

Also love Martha on your list.

DoubleBluff Mon 09-Jul-07 20:19:06

Marth ais gorgeous was on my list as was Mathilda ( Tilly for short)

edam Mon 09-Jul-07 20:21:24

Marth and Matilda would both go with Louis and Alfie. I know a little girl called Ivy - was a bit taken aback at first as it reminds me of a great-aunt but now think it's rather sweet.

fees Mon 09-Jul-07 21:08:53

thanks everyone! I also like Nancy but dh hates it because of Sid & Nancy, Matilda is lovely but there seem to have been a few lately - Our surname begins with H. My gran died a few months ago and she knew i was pregnant would like to honour her but her name was Patricia just can't think of a baby as a little Pat!!! quite like Patsy but all the friends from Aus say NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! why is this such a hard thing to do as a child who had abs. no prob. naming several tiny tears (although four of them were called julie or debbie) i thought i would have no problem finding a name especially a girls name!!! ohh now when i look a Nancy I really love it!!! Any tips for persuading dh?

fingerwoman Mon 09-Jul-07 21:12:23

Nancy is great, especially because of sid and nancy!
I love all the names on your lsit actually.
How about Esme, Elsie, Betsy, CLover, Daisy?

fees Mon 09-Jul-07 21:31:34

Thanks - Esme is sweet I don't know much about Sid & Nancy well not much about Nancy anyway wish i could convince DH! He did have a bet with me that if it was a girl I could call it and if it was a boy he would name it (thinking he only produced boys) so really it should be tough t#ts i will call our baby girl what i want but hes a stubborn old mule and i know he will call her something else if i do choose Nancy, primrose or kitty - he quite likes Jemima? but Jem is urrghhhhhhhh (sorry anyone called Jem) can't help be reminded of the cartoon Jem - Jem is my name no one else is the same JEM!!! she would defintely strop, flick her hair and wear far too much make-up mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

IAmAwenSoNobOffIWasHereFirst Mon 09-Jul-07 21:32:45

Good choice JARM

fingerwoman Mon 09-Jul-07 21:34:55

I am trying to convince my dp to go with Mavis if we have a girl. He is mostly ignoring my pleas now though lol
how about you choose the first name and he gets to choose the middle name?

fees Mon 09-Jul-07 21:36:14

Polly is cute but my sis had a friend called polly and we all called her polly poo pants!!( because she sat on a rusty outlet pipe wearing a white swimsuit) very funny never forgotten that!!! thanksX

hatrickjacqueline Mon 09-Jul-07 21:37:17

Message withdrawn

fees Mon 09-Jul-07 21:41:13

Yes sorry JARM great choice I couldn't have it being name of dh fave ex but i think its lovely!! Mavis is sweet wasn't the girl in Dennis the menace films called that though? the wee ginger girl with glasses she was funny, i do think of a tabard wearing dinner lady though even though what about Maeve?

Aero Mon 09-Jul-07 21:42:30

I like Martha from your list. Elspeth is nice too.

fees Mon 09-Jul-07 21:44:22

Wow!!! great idea I need to come up with something reallly shocking then!! not that i think Scout is bad Kitty Scout is great - well done you X

fees Mon 09-Jul-07 21:46:05

thanks aero Elspeth I heard that last year and kliked it but i have a problem saying it and ds2 has bit of a lisp so he will really struggle with it!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: