Talk

Advanced search

Giving birth for the first time..what to expect?

(26 Posts)
Lou0219 Wed 13-Mar-19 20:10:14

Hi guys due very soon, I’m so nervous/scared/terrified In fact. I am going to be having a water birth and I just don’t know what to expect. Can anybody reassure me or give me your own stories? Thanks xx

Roxyxoxo Fri 15-Mar-19 19:49:48

I was also terrified, to the point I think I was in denial and avoided reading/watching anything to do with birth! But when the time came I felt surprisingly calm, and I remember thinking my body knew how to grow this little human, it will know how to do the rest. I opted for a water birth too, although started off with my TENS machine at home before going into hospital, and a hot water bottle which despite being a wimp with pain was okay- and paracetamol every 4 hours. When I got to the hospital I was 3cms and they said I could go home or stay, I stayed and it wasn’t long before I was getting into the water and bobbing about which was really relaxing and helped with the discomfort; but you do have to get out for examinations at points which isn’t as good! Take a nice big towel as they have some but they’re not usually great and going from a lovely warm tub to the outside in a tiny towel didn’t help. It didn’t go to plan in honesty, but it was nothing to do with the water and even though it should have been scary I felt calm (I’m guessing it was the hormones or adrenaline or something as I’m not overly brave)! I would say your birth partner will support you, don’t be afraid to say what you need and to tell the midwives how you are feeling and if you have any worries. I would do it all again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »