Talk

Advanced search

SPD -Some advice needed PLEASSSSSSE

(14 Posts)
CHOCOLATEPEANUT Mon 09-Jul-07 13:33:11

I have been suffering with SPD for a couple of weeks now.I was off work for 10 weeks with hyperemesis and was in bed most of this time.When I returned to work within days the SPD was really bad as now I am more active than before and its having an affect.

I have been coming home and going to bed when my dd goes (7.00pm) as I have felt that rotten.My job is office based but I am called out for various duties that mean a lot of walking through town.Last Tues I did a fair bit of walking and on Wed I could not move.I have rested since then and intend to go back tomorrow but I am worried.

My boss said they will restrict the walking bit as they will do all they can to help me stay at work (I am so fed up being at home and need to be in work for my sanity plus my last pg ended in a stillbirth and i cannot just lie here for the next 20 weeks worrying about it - work is a distraction) But I am really worried that even after 5 days of resting it doesnt feel any better.Also I have heard that it can bring on a prem labour and as this pg is so precious I am frightened about taking any risks.

My midwife has arraned for me to have physio but said TBH it wont help much!

Can any fellow SPD sufferers help with some practical advice?

mrslurkalot Mon 09-Jul-07 13:48:32

Hi there, so sorry to hear about the loss of your LO and that you're suffering with this. I had SPD when I has DS and it was horrible. Felt like I had been kicked between the legs by a horse and turning over in bed was agony. My Mum's a physio and gave me some really strong pelvic floor exercises to do which really DID help and also got me a support belt to wear (not very glam but also really helped). I had not heard that SPD can bring on early labour and I was 10 days over due with DS. Try keeping your legs together as much as you can (when getting out of bed/car etc) and sleep with a pillow between your legs. Hope this helps!

mandler Mon 09-Jul-07 19:06:05

Hello, sorry to hear about your SPD. I have had it too since 19 weeks (26 wks now) and although it is unpleasant I have found I can manage it. I would definitely advise cutting down on walking, get a note from midwife for work if you have to.
And do go to the physio, I was really sceptical but just had my second appt today and the exercises I have started to do have really helped. I also had a couple of osteo sessions to 'free me up' a bit.
So despite getting bigger, I am in no more pain than I was weeks ago - but I am aware of it all the time, making sure I keep legs together getting in and out of bed, in and out of the car, sleeping with a pillow wedged between my legs and generally taking it easy.
Good luck, you can manage it!

Moomin Mon 09-Jul-07 19:26:51

Sorry to hear you're going through this and getting (understandably) so worried - I totally understand why this pregnancy is so precious.

Firstly, you may have to accept that you need to have more time off work - OR ask for an assessment of your job in light of your SPD with a view to not walking much AT ALL. Walking just makes it tonnes tonnes worse and the pain will make you more miserable and fretful.

I had SPD in both my pregnancies and with the 1st I didn't really know what was goin on and it wasn't diagnosed until I was about 24 weeks. I had physio at hospital but it was a group session, not geared towards my own needs and therefore not that useful, although I did get some tips about how to move in bed and also got a tubigrip then a belt to support the bump. Eventually ended upon crutches, and had to finish work at 32 weeks. As "luck" would have it at this time I was also dignosed with placenta praevia (totally unrelated to the SPD) but it meant I had to have total bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy and the SPD disappeared.

With my 2nd pregnancy I knew what to expect and I took loads of precautions - started seeing an osteopath at around 16 weeks; arranged to have a tall stool at work so I didn't have to stand (I'm a teacher) and they moved me to the ground floor for all my lessons. This all helped LOADS.

So the best thing you can do is REST REST REST; do go to physio for tips on how to move, turn, sleep etc., and they will also provide you with a belt or crutches if worst comes to worst. Physio since I had dd1 has changed enormously for the better in my authority and now it means 1-to-1 sessions which are much better, so go along to see what the support is like. If you think it's not helping and you can possibly afford it, book to see an osteopath or private physio for some sessions - mine really helped.

Now is no time to feel guilty about work; it's time to get as much rest as possible and if your work isn't able to arrange this for you, you may need to get signed off sick until your maternity leave starts. HTH. x

tulip31 Mon 09-Jul-07 19:35:03

Sorry to hear about your loss and the fact that you are having a bad time with spd. I had spd briefly last time with my son and have it again this time.
I'm not finding it comfortable, and would recommend trying the support belt (midwife recommended one that is available to buy from toysrus, which is apparently better than those supplied) and exercises.
There is also a good website that might help http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Mon 09-Jul-07 19:41:03

thanks everyone

i am going in work tomorrow and will have serious talk with boss about non walking duties as other than that i will have to stay off

BettySpaghetti Mon 09-Jul-07 19:42:56

I had SPD with my last pregnancy. A couple of tips not mentioned so far:

-sit on a bin bag in the car as it helps you slide when you turn to get in or out (keep your legs together whilst turning). You can also sleep on something like a shiny/nylony (YUK I know) sleeping bag as, again, it makes turning over easier
-I found that sitting on an exercise ball was more comfortable than sitting on the sofa
-if you are offered crutches, use them. It takes some of the pressure off
-Rest. Rest and rest. At every opportunity.

lisad123 Mon 09-Jul-07 19:48:06

Hi

I have SPD with this pregancy since 12 week. The only advise I can give is rest. I have been signed off work since 20 weeks, as its impossible to do my job without walking or driving. The advise I was giving is if it hurts dont do it.

It helps to sleep with a pillow between your knees to keep hips level, wear a support belt when walking. I am now in a wheelchair most of the time, or on crutches, I shuffle around the house. Other than that not a lot of advise.

Lisa

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Mon 09-Jul-07 20:01:18

shit

im really worried now.i dont know how i will cope at home for another 20 weeks but then i do not want to end up worse

talk about the devil and the deep blue sea

Moomin Mon 09-Jul-07 20:16:39

Please don't worry too much - cases like lisa123's are not the norm. With the right advice and adjustments to your lifestyle you can manage this and it not end up with you in a wheelchair. In the majority of cases, physio, bump supports and lots of rest will help enormously. Do you live with your partner/dh? Can they help with the changes needed?

lisad123 Mon 09-Jul-07 20:30:30

sorry choc didnt mean to worry you. And as said its not normal to be as bad as me. Just try and rest where ever possible and if it does get too much at work ask to be signed off. I have never heard of SPD causing prem labour.

Lisa

kerioke Mon 09-Jul-07 20:49:26

hiya chocolatepeanut (typing your name always makes my mouth water!) i am sorry you are going through this, i did reply to a previous post you had written on our antenatal thread a few days ago, im sorry its not improved.

i too suffer with spd, and i found the physio last week really helpful! she also ordered me a hip brace which i am now waiting for.. i have also found swimming really helps to as its non weight bearing, but do go as part of a class rather than solo as if you forget and do something like breast stroke etc you really could make things worse.

sedning you huge hugs miss choccy and i am always on our antenatal thread if you fancy a chat xxx

LilRedWG Mon 09-Jul-07 20:51:39

Lisa123 said it all really. If it hurts, don't do it. I pushed myself far too much and suffered the consequences.

LilRedWG Mon 09-Jul-07 20:52:29

Oooo - if there is a brine baths near you or flotation tanks - go! I practically moved into our local brine baths, the feeling of weightlessness was wonderful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now