Talk

Advanced search

Hook effect ?

(8 Posts)
soph91 Tue 12-Mar-19 14:56:23

Hi ladies - so I am pos addict ! I have had a miscarriage so have been testing quite a lot to see line progression which was going well until this morning when my positive line was nowhere near as dark as the control line - for the last 10 days or so when I have tested the control line has been very faint. Anyhow this has led me to do 3 tests today (I have no more left so have to stop now!). The top test is my FMU, the 2nd is with very diluted clear urine and the 3rd is urine mixed with 50% water as you can see it is back to been dark again. I will be 6 weeks 1 day by my LMP but almost 7 weeks from date of ovulation. Is this the hook effect , has anyone had this happen ? I thought it was pretty rare. Thanks

GemmaJen Tue 12-Mar-19 15:14:04

The tests are not designed to be quantitative, ie let you know how much hcg is present. They are designed to be a simple yes or no. Try not to read into the line strength, if you're looking for reassurance an early scan will give you much more peace of mind. I had an mmc last year and in this pregnancy Ive had 3 early scans to keep me sane, the first at 6 weeks. The feeling of relief when we saw the heartbeat was amazing. I was also a poas addict, but once you get a positive they can only tell you so much.

soph91 Tue 12-Mar-19 15:20:28

Thanks. I have an early scan booked for next week , but I am going to try and bring it forward . I didn't want to go for an early scan and not see something and worry myself , but I am worrying myself anyway !

Gobletoffire Tue 12-Mar-19 16:03:40

I agree with PP, the tests are designed to tell you whether you are pregnant or not, not how the pregnancy is progressing. I went for an early scan at 8 weeks (all was fine, I’m now 39 weeks) but up until then I had been POAS daily. The line strength did differ and it used to panic me but it meant nothing, so I really would stop now otherwise you’ll drive yourself crazy.

BubbaC1990 Wed 15-Jan-20 07:29:22

@soph91 - I am experiencing exactly this. How did the pregnancy end up for you!? I hope your holding your little bubba x

soph91 Wed 15-Jan-20 08:03:54

Hi @BubbaC1990 - sadly the pregnancy I posted about here ended in miscarriage but nothing to do with the lines on these tests. I am now 6 months pregnant and had exactly the same this time with the tests - the hook effect is definitely real. Try not to worry . Once you get to a certain point tests are no good but I still tested everyday with this one for a while to the point that the digital tests kept coming back as faulty ! Good luck xx

BubbaC1990 Wed 15-Jan-20 10:31:11

I am sorry the pregnancy ended in miscarriage but congratulations on your pregnancy now.
I am worried I am heading for the same as you sad
I have a early scanned booked for Sunday so just praying everything is going to be okay. @soph91

soph91 Wed 15-Jan-20 11:12:41

@BubbaC1990 thank you. I would try not to worry and if you have had no bleeding , cramping etc . the hook effect definitely effects my tests . You can always try dipping your test in half water half urine x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »