Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much codeine is too much?

(10 Posts)
PurpleLostPrincess Sat 07-Jul-07 16:02:33

Hi all,

I've had problems with my hips and was told I can take codeine when it gets really bad but not to use it on a prolonged basis...

I was only taking it maybe once a week or so when they got really bad but this last week they've been awful so I've been using it every couple of days or so.

I've now got toothache and I had a dose last night and I've just had another one just now. I don't want to be taking it too much but I don't know where that line is ifkwim...

Any thoughts or experience?

frapachino Sat 07-Jul-07 16:07:07

Discuss with your doctor. I have a friend with chronic back pain who took it regulary through out her pregnancy with no ill effects - although it is constipating so her piles were horrendous. She was reduced from a 60mg dose though to a 16mg dose by her doctor though.

PurpleLostPrincess Sat 07-Jul-07 16:11:48

Thanks frap, that is reassuring. I used to take 30mg per tablet before I was pg but I'm just taking 8mg per tablet now. I'm wary about the constipation too!

lisad123 Sat 07-Jul-07 17:20:25

I have just been prescribed this for my SPd and been ressurarred (sp?? must be baby brain) its safe to use after 12 weeks.
HTH
lisa

jofeb04 Sat 07-Jul-07 17:28:45

Hiya
I was on co-codamol from about 5months due to SPD, taking 8/500. I got concerned as it was 2tablets 4times a day, but was told I was fine.

HTH

Celery Sat 07-Jul-07 17:29:20

Am I odd in that codeine completely knocks me out? I take it at night if I can't sleep. I took it for afterpains after the birth of my last baby, and was staggering about slurring my words. It has a real sedative effect on me. Is that weird?

PurpleLostPrincess Sat 07-Jul-07 17:33:55

Thanks jofeb04

Not at all Celery, in fact that's why I was a bit paranoid because I go all 'gooey' on them! I don't drive when I've taken them, espcially before I was pg and was taking the larger dose.

I'm going to stock up on the larger dose for when baby is born as the afterpains were awful with DD1 so I'm expecting them to be really bad with this one...

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sat 07-Jul-07 23:16:03

I broke my wrist when i was 25 weeks pregnant with first dd and was on massive amounts of codeine and paracet.She was fine but i was constipated and got shocking piles OUCH!

Califrau Sat 07-Jul-07 23:19:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 07-Jul-07 23:24:09

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now