Talk

Advanced search

Painful scan?

(31 Posts)
mother2b Fri 06-Jul-07 09:24:15

did any one find that their scan hurt? i was thinking about it and even though it was four weeks ago, the person that done my scan really dug the scanny thingy in and it left me with abdominal discomfort for the rest of the day?

Just curious

SweetyDarling Fri 06-Jul-07 09:35:34

No never and have had 9 now and I'm 32 weeks .

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mother2b Fri 06-Jul-07 09:44:20

yeah am a bit 'plump' was just trying to diet when found out PG - actually scanner lady upset me because she said 'sub-optimal veiws due to bmi' im my PG note am a size 18

bewilderbeast Fri 06-Jul-07 09:47:40

yes it did baby was hiding in my pelvis.

mother2b Fri 06-Jul-07 10:18:31

how far along are you MMJ, if your showing how long did it take you to show - i can clearly see bump when laying down but not really when standing (am 16+3)

Sarahjct Fri 06-Jul-07 10:21:47

Mine pressed so hard I thought she was going to come out through my back! She did apologise but didn't say anything as to why - I guess she thought I could work it out for myself! It hurt like hell during but was fine after though.

mrshopeful Fri 06-Jul-07 10:34:05

Yes, my sonographer was very rough, and very rude, and pressed really hard. It hurt at the time and ached after. I wrote to the hospital and asked if this was normal and they have rung me to apologise for her behaviour. Might make you feel a bit better if you're still dwelling on it? It made me feel better knowing she would be spoken to and hopefully won't be so rough and rude with another woman.

mother2b Fri 06-Jul-07 11:05:05

i really want to have a big bump so everybody can tell by looking that im pregnant!

WheresMyWaistGone Fri 06-Jul-07 12:53:26

At my 23 week scan, baby dear would not take it's hands away from it's face so that the sonographer could get a good view of it's facial bones! She wiggled and poked my tummy for a while until I felt sea-sick and then sent me off for a brisk walk and a can of coke to try and get it a bit more active!

Thankfully it worked, so no more pummelling and although it didn't hurt, it was certanly uncomfortable!

kyala Fri 06-Jul-07 14:37:56

First one was a bit "diggy" but second wasn't too bad, mind you the second time was first thing in the morning and I hadn't been for my first wee yet!! Maybe that helped push baby forward?!

maisemor Fri 06-Jul-07 14:45:47

The first 2 scans yes they hurt when she was digging the thing in to find baby. It will ease up the more pregnant you get, in my experience. Hope it goes better next time .

latestartermum2b Mon 07-Feb-11 11:05:11

Hi, went for my 20 week scan 3 days ago and still in loads of pain! Been in bed for past 2 days as I'm discharging loads of clear jelly and terrified it's the mucas plug coming away. Had the same sonographer for my 12 week scan and bled for a few days after then. She is incredibly aggressive, using both hands to push hard and not one apology...she doesn't really speak!

I'm a size 16 and have a layer of tummy fat, who doesn't! she likes to write the word "adiposity" on my report. This means animal fat!

I have to go back this week for another scan as she was unable to 'see' certain things due to all the fat.

This is my 3rd attempt to have a baby having miscarried my previous 2 pregnancy's and this is the furthest I've carried. I'm 41 so time isn't on my side. Why are we pregnant women treated so aggressively?! Surely we should be offered internal scans if we are too fat for their skills to see around??

clarabella18 Mon 07-Feb-11 12:00:52

yep at my 12 week scan she pushed and prodded that hard and just couldn;t get a decent view. i'm a bit on the "plump" blush side too.

It could have been worse you could have ended up like me and having an internal scan too!shock

tlise Mon 07-Feb-11 12:13:02

When I had one at 28 weeks she really dug it in, but as I am on the larger side, I assumed thats why.

I had to have an internal scan at 9 weeks, luckily I had learnt from past mistakes and didn't have a full bladder this time lol.

greenzebra Mon 07-Feb-11 12:26:59

yeah my 12 week scan was, my uterus tilts quite far back and even though I had drank loads she dug in so much. She made my fibroids hurt. I said ouch a few times and then she decided to change the wand thing and it made a hell of a difference. She did say sorry which made it better I suppose, but then for the week after I had some bleeding and I blame her for it. I ended up going back in for a heart beat check just in case.

latestartermum2b Mon 07-Feb-11 14:30:39

Just paid for a private scan just to make sure the nhs sonographer hadn't left me with any permanent damage. The sonographer was gentle and could see everything because her scanner was more advanced than the nhs one. Best £50 I've ever spent!

Complained about nhs sonographer, won't be seeing her again, but was told to speak up. If you feel the sonographer is getting too heavy handed, TELL HER! Straight from the mouth of my hospital midwife who gets this complaint a lot from her ladies.

beckie90 Mon 07-Feb-11 15:18:29

both of my 12 week and 20 week scans really hurt, im on the small size was 8 stone at that point. but they dug it really hard into my belly, i put it down to my bladder been sooo full lol

metalelephant Mon 07-Feb-11 15:28:19

oh poor you latestartermum2b, that experience sounds absolutely horrid. Especially if you were scared of your baby being hurt afterwards... Good to hear all is well

TitaniaP Mon 07-Feb-11 16:21:25

I'm also on the plump side (16-18) but they had no problems scanning me at all and no-one has written anything nasty (just at well as I have a tendency to burst into tears at the slightest opportunity at the moment).

I think prodding and poking so that people are in pain and not explaining what's going on is awful. I was really lucky with my sonographer for the 20 week scan as she talked me through everything that was going on and explained what we were seeing and was lovely. She even gave us the photos for free (normally £5) they were running 30 mins late with the appointments.

I think if you've not had the experience you think you should have, then complain - it's not acceptable to be treated badly under any circumstances.

Vickz177 Sun 10-Sep-17 22:04:56

Same experience today 25 week 4d scan baby was facing away and the lady was so rough banging my belly with the probe and huffing and puffing and when I got home my belly feels bruised just hope baby ok I'm a worrier hmm

ChickenBhuna Sun 10-Sep-17 22:09:06

Yep. During my last pregnancy the sonographer hurt me at my 12 week scan. My baby wouldn't move so she dug right in. I felt bruised for days.

buzz91 Sun 10-Sep-17 22:52:29

My 12 week was, but only when he was doing the checks on the ovaries/fallopian tubes etc. not when he was looking at the baby. I assumed it was because it took more pressure to get a good look at them tbh. The 20 week scan was fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now