Talk

Advanced search

Mumomega - anyone using? Any opinions?

(10 Posts)
Caz10 Tue 03-Jul-07 10:16:16

Hi! I have (perhaps stupidly!) started watching these baby programmes on Living TV and the other day the lady from the company which makes mumomega was on, making a very convicing argument for taking Omega 3 oils. But then she would as she is selling the stuff!

It did make sense though, and I wondered if it was worth investing? I'm always feeling guilty for not eating enough fish, but she was saying that to get the recommened Omega 3 levels through fish you would have to eat more than is humanly possible anyway! Also the non-fish way of getting it was through peanuts which I am not eating as allergies in the family.

I know you can get pregnacare plus with omega 3 in it, but normal pregnacare gave me terrible tummy troubles which stopped as soon as I switched to Sanatogen (antenatal vits).

Would love to hear other people's opinions on whether it's worth it buying these extra capsules?

Nath Tue 03-Jul-07 11:35:22

I take them but god knows if its worth it!!! I am a terrible sucker for marketing and tbh would rather take them and them do nothing than not take them and have missed out on something that could really help the baby!

MrsKrabadger Tue 03-Jul-07 11:36:45

[sceptic]

waste of bloody money
take cheapo folic acid and eat a healthy varied diet

Caz10 Tue 03-Jul-07 12:06:51

I agree with both of you if that is possible!

Just concerned that if I eat no nuts and (almost) no fish, how will I be getting the right stuff?!

Also have had ms for almost 4 months now - eating very little of nutritional value, just anything that stops the nausea!

MrsKrabadger Tue 03-Jul-07 12:19:00

hmm, if diet is limited might be worth it - I ate my way through morning sickness...

Nixies Tue 03-Jul-07 16:33:37

I've taken them since 20w, read this study and thought it made sense (and wouldn't hurt otherwise) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4631006.stm

Also, I am sure that they have made a difference to me and my concentration!

Moorhen Tue 03-Jul-07 19:32:51

I normally love fish and have not been able to face it since getting pg. Am taking the Pregnacare Omega-3 version because read quite a few studies suggesting O-3 was good for baby.

Midwife also reckons Omega-3 is the new folic acid, IYSWIM.

Am sure is best to get it through diet, but given my new aversion to fish and DH allergies - so no peanuts - thought it couldn't hurt. Expensive though.

Caz10 Tue 03-Jul-07 20:49:20

Thank you everyone. I am too scared to go back onto Pregnacare (traumatic constipation ha ha!) - does anyone know of any other prenatal vits that have O3?
Off to look on Boots website...

Caz10 Tue 03-Jul-07 20:52:53

Yikes it's pricey

sanatogen

bumbly Tue 03-Jul-07 21:12:46

...but surely it is not natural to take so much omega three...

i mean our bodies are programmed to make babies without having to resort to tablets

i thought long and hard on this....if you eat some fish/nuts...then that should suffice

why would our bodies need so much omega three that you'd have to eat TONS of fish?? surely it is only natural for us to eat SOME fish...

anyway fish better than a pill! well the sort that is mercury free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now