Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When to start taking raspberry leaf tea capsules?

(17 Posts)
Pennypops Tue 03-Jul-07 09:37:06

Firsly I'd like to apologise if this has been discussed before which is prob has but I couldn't find any exact references.

I am 31 weeks and opinion seems to differ as to when to start taking rasp leaf tea capsules. Obviously I don't want to kick anything off before time but I haven't had so much as a Braxton Hick yet either. Should I start taking them or wait a couple more weeks?

The label is no help at all.

What is the MN consensus?

Peachy Tue 03-Jul-07 09:47:14

36 weeks is the recommendwd time iirc

I also found downing the remainder of the pot ensured a short labour LOL once it had all started natuarally- ds2 44 hours, ds3 4-5. fab

Pennypops Tue 03-Jul-07 11:24:49

note to self!! Thanks Peachy

Princesspowersparkle Tue 03-Jul-07 11:46:01

Agree with Peachy- 36-37 weeks. Just don't do what I did and buy them but forget to take them. I've taken about 2 in 2 weeks. Thats not going to do much is it?!
xx

Pennypops Tue 03-Jul-07 11:51:56

Glad to see I'm not the only absent minded one. Aren't you due any day Princess?

REIDmylips Tue 03-Jul-07 12:01:04

pennypops, i bought raspberry leaf tea to bring on my labour. Took one tablet and the labour started (just a coincidence, i'm sure)

Any way, i have a full tub of them somewhere, which you are quite welcome to if a)i can find them an byou would like them!

Pennypops Tue 03-Jul-07 12:47:18

Thank you so much, thats really kind of you. However, I bought mine yesterday without actually thinking about when I was going to take them. Because I'm clever like that. Doh.

laksa Tue 03-Jul-07 13:06:46

hi pennypops,

I did a search for the same thing earlier and found this from mumsnetter bensonbluebird:

'Arnica and raspberry leaf. My midwife recommends raspberry leaf from 28 weeks you start with 1 cup per day and increase to 2 cups at 32 weeks then 3 cups at 36 weeks. Arnica should be at the 200c dose. She also recommends a evening primrose oil and omega 3 supplement from 36 weeks but it's as much as I can do to remember to take the raspberry leaf.'

I am going to just take one cup as of next week as I am only just 28 weeks today.

Hope that helps.

xx

detoxdiva Tue 03-Jul-07 13:18:11

Hi. I took 3 a day from 36 weeks (also had quick labour - dd arrived 3hrs after getting to hospital, so def taking again with no. 2!)

Pennypops Tue 03-Jul-07 13:29:02

Thanks to all - will ramp up dose starting at 2 a day I think.

Even if it shortens labour by 5 mins that has to be a plus.....

Princesspowersparkle Tue 03-Jul-07 18:07:59

Hi Pennypops- due in a couple of weeks. I have a feeling its going to drag. Mind you, it gives me time to take some raspberry leaf tabs!!!
Good Luck with your last 9 weeks! X

Pennypops Wed 04-Jul-07 10:03:19

Thanks!! Good luck on the big day - I look forward to seeing the birth announcement! xx

tokentotty Wed 04-Jul-07 10:06:34

My midwife (36 years experience plus MBE for services to childcare etc) says to start them at 32 weeks. Take 2 640mg tablets a couple of times a day. They don't bring on labour, just condition the uterus. Much easier taking the tablets than the tea I think....

sweetkitty Wed 04-Jul-07 10:09:10

I have taken them from 34 weeks with both DDs

DD1 - 4h 20 m labour 15 days early
DD2 - 2h 30 m labour 12 days late

I think the dose is 6 capsules a day, the tea is utterly vile.

reindeermum Wed 04-Jul-07 10:19:06

sorry to be cynical but don't assume this will help AT ALL. In my first pregnancy I drank so much raspberry leaf tea I was literally gagging on the stuff AND I took the capsules. My labour was a horrific 56 hours from when the waters broke until he actually came out. I therefore have no faith whatsoever in raspberry leaf tea or capsules!

Pennypops Wed 04-Jul-07 10:24:28

Reindeermum - I'm sorry to hear you had a hard time of it. I don't think anyone is under the impression that RLT works miracles but anything's worth a try!

Flumpybumpy Wed 04-Jul-07 10:31:46

I took RLT tablets from 35 weeks on teh recommendation of my MW. Remember RLT doesn't start labour it tones your uterus and makes the contractions stronger and more powerful to help reduce labour.

RLT is best used after birth as is helps tone your uterus up quickly and prepare it for more children. I was told all this by a herbalist and my MW.

FB x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now