Talk

Advanced search

Your Chance to Ask a Midwife Anything

(33 Posts)
JoshMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Jan-19 16:05:27

Someone Call the Midwife (.... we already have!)

On Monday (4th Feb) Clare, a midwife with 7 years experience is coming in to answer your pregnancy questions and address some common myths - she's already done videos about subjects such as morning sickness and early signs of pregnancy www.youtube.com/watch?v=atcbFTD_XQM&t=57s

This time we've asked her in to bust your myths. What have you always wanted to ask a midwife? Things you suspected, but never were sure of? Clare will answer as many as she can (within reason!)

Just pop your comment, question or myth in this thread and we'll ask Clare. Look out for the video next week!

Cheyennel5610 Tue 29-Jan-19 13:03:50

Yes I had sex with a guy on April 20 2018 & I can’t remember if I had my period in May or not ; but me and my boyfriend got back together April 26 2019 and was together all month of May I found out I was pregnant on June 11, 2019 and then I due date is February 7th 2019 and I was just wondering it would be my boyfriends kid because it says I conceived on May 17,2018 Right ???? Help me cause I think I’m wrong

LilacIris Tue 29-Jan-19 16:11:22

Hello Clare. I’m due in a couple of months and worrying about labour.

Is it true that several pregnancies close together increase a risk of a premature birth and if a baby was born at 36 weeks by Caesarean section for maternal mental health reasons, what are the potential realistic concerns for the baby?

Springmummy19 Tue 29-Jan-19 16:28:20

I'm undecided about whether to use a birth center or a delivery suit. what are the main things to consider when making that decision?

PaulHollywoodsSexGut Tue 29-Jan-19 16:29:52

In the experience you’ve had, have you seen many VBA2Cs and honestly what’s the success likelihood?

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 29-Jan-19 16:50:32

Is there any truth in your experience of a woman’s third labour being “the game changer”?!
I’ve been told the third is either your best or your worst.
I’ve had two textbook, uncomplicated vaginal births previously.

Flimpflump Tue 29-Jan-19 21:28:10

I was induced with my last pregnancy. For 24 hours I was having full blown contractions every minute apart despite only being 2cm dilated (because of the induction). Baby was also back to back. Why was I refused pain relief?

I was told i could only get pain relief once I was transferred to the Labour ward- either at 4cm's dilated or my waters break (I was in a private room on an antenatal ward). All i was offered was paracetamol and very begrudgingly low dose of dihydrocidene, but only because i begged and begged.

Due to the same medical condition I will be induced again and am really worried about this. I have kept a supply of my own strong painkillers (tramadol), which I stopped taking once falling pregnant, and seriously considering taking these into hospital with me if the same thing happens again. I don't understand why was I refused much needed pain relief????

SundayGirlB Tue 29-Jan-19 22:09:13

Are first babies usually overdue?

JoyceDivision Tue 29-Jan-19 22:17:52

Hi Clare, could you give me your thoughts on this:

When having my 2nd child, in the labour unit, a doctor came in my room to ask if I knew about the strep B infection .

I knew nothing, but in my notes were the results of a test during pregnancy that confirmed I had the infection.

Neither my midwife or GP contacted me to advise us or took any action to treat it.

As the doctor explained "Keep that baby in for the next X hours while we get some antibiotics in you". Fortunately baby room a long time to arrive so the antibiotics were ok.

Who should of contacted me re the test results? The midwife or the go? Should I have complained?

Thankssmile

Cheyennel5610 Wed 30-Jan-19 04:30:10

Yes I had sex with a guy on April 20 2018 & I can’t remember if I had my period in May or not ; but me and my boyfriend got back together April 26 2019 and was together all month of May I found out I was pregnant on June 11, 2019 and then I due date is February 7th 2019 and I was just wondering it would be my boyfriends kid because it says I conceived on May 17,2018 Right ???? Help me cause I think I’m wrong

Minicruiser Wed 30-Jan-19 17:49:12

Should I consider a private strep b group test at 35 weeks?

kateandme Wed 30-Jan-19 19:52:15

id love to ask a question but im too scared to on here!

beckyboop1 Wed 30-Jan-19 19:59:36

I work in a Nursery and TTC in the spring. Are there any infections that I should be aware of that the children may have (chicken pox, hand foot and mouth etc) that may effect me in some way if I were to fall pregnant that I need to be aware of?

SPR1107 Wed 30-Jan-19 20:10:46

During my first labour I arrived at the hospital at 5cm, within an hour I was 8cm, long story short, nothing then happened and I had the hormone drip for 10 hours to reach 10cm. Is this likely to happen again? Or could this have been caused by baby being back to back?

(Sorry another question). I found out just yesterday that the centile growth charts are personalised to each person (not average of all babies like I originally thought), so as I understand it, the grey line is what would be seen as average size baby for someone of my size. My first baby was 71sf centile, this baby I'm pregnant with is plotting like two cm above the top black line... should I be asking any particular questions about this?

mytime2 Wed 30-Jan-19 20:26:43

hi Clare, if I had a LLETZ procedure for CIN3, would you automatically put me on a high-risk pregnancy pathway?

buddy79 Wed 30-Jan-19 21:43:21

Hi Clare,
I had some bleeding in early pregnancy (around 9 weeks) and a transvaginal scan showed a single pregnancy with everything looking ok. The next day I bled more and passed something that I really thought could have been a foetus (in a sac, curled round, with a stiff cord). However I had another scan 2 weeks later which again, luckily, showed a healthy single pregnancy. Could the bleed have been a second (twin) pregnancy that the scan didn’t spot for some reason? Some of my uterus was not visible due to ‘gas’ apparently! I am very lucky to be 28 weeks now. Thank you.

Poppy2019 Thu 31-Jan-19 13:53:49

Hi, my question I am 37 with my 1st pregnancy. My add is 13 May 2010, I'm.25 weeks and have a posture issue, ive now lower back pain and a tight not where my kidney are, I thought it was a kidney infection but went to my community midwife who sent me to the dau. I would like to try a deep heat cream but most of the items are not suitable in pregnant women? What do you advise?

couldbeanywhere Thu 31-Jan-19 19:01:59

I’m likely to be induced. (Have had a previous successful induction but it was started after I’d already begun my contractions- so I feel that helped it succeed).

I’m anxious this time that I’ll need more intervention through being induced. In your experience how successful are inductions (low level- pessary) and how often does it escalate to the drip and epidural, and from this escalate to intervention ie vontuse, forceps, and even c-section.

Essentially I’m asking- I’m induced early because my baby is small, is it worth jumping in and booking an elective section?
sorry for the essay!

JoyceDivision Fri 01-Feb-19 04:58:28

@Minicruiser based on my experience, yes!

HoustonBess Fri 01-Feb-19 15:20:48

Is there actually any point in writing a birth plan?

Nathansmommy1 Sat 02-Feb-19 09:11:41

My waters broke at 38 weeks with my last child, is it common that this would happen again with this pregnancy?
Also, he was 9lb 6, do you think this baby will be just as big? My 12 week scan showed baby was ahead of size already by a week but my due date didn't change as I was 100% sure of the date of my last period.

josiefox Sat 02-Feb-19 19:04:20

Hi. I’m having a really very worrying weekend and really would love someone to advise me.
I had a panorama test done at The Birth Company London on jan 21st. My bloods apparently went off that day to Natera in California. It’s is now eve of 14 days and have not had results. I called everyday last week, and got muddled messages, until Thursday when told I would find out latest Friday (yesterday). I called yesterday and was told that there’s been a delay and only just processing (11 or 12 days after my bloods were taken!!). Last time I went to the same place and had same test & received low risk results within 8 or 9 days. I literally cannot stop having panic attacks about this, that there’s a problem with my baby hence the delayed response. It says 14 days max to get them but most people get about 10 or no later than 12 days. I know no one can give me an answer about whether my baby has abnormalities or not, but I’ve not slept with worry, whilst also singlehandedly looking after my 13 month old boy. Has anyone had or heard of a similar experience with panorama??

josiefox Sat 02-Feb-19 19:05:32

Ps I’m 40.4 years old. So probably in higher risk than most

macmacaroon Sat 02-Feb-19 19:51:51

I had an emergency c section. I reviewed my notes afterwards and it was a borderline. I had the op at shift change. Does shift change influence whether a C section is done or not ie. can it be an influential factor

StargazyDrifter Sun 03-Feb-19 12:20:58

What a great idea. I'm 18 weeks with my first baby. At my 16 week midwife appointment last week I asked about antenatal classes at the hospital and about donating cord blood. The midwife shook her head and said we don't think about anything like that until after the 20 week scan when we know the baby is actually viable. Is this really how the profession views it? It's left me thinking I should bother doctors/midwives with anything until after the 20 week scan. Would be grateful for reasons why this is the view please.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »