Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch and sweep - after pains and spotting

(4 Posts)
Discodolly100 Sat 30-Jun-07 11:05:23

I'm 2 days overdue and had my first membrane sweep yesterday afternoon. Since yesterday evening I've had bad period-type pains in my lower abdomen, and a bit of dark blood which the MW said would happen.

My pains are frequent but irregular, plus the MW said I'm only 50% likely to give birth in the next week as I'm "not 100% favourable" i.e ready.

My question is - has anybody else had the same experience? Did it lead on to proper contractions straight away? I'm still having the pains today, although I havent had a 'show' yet, nor have my waters broken.

I've never had any braxton hicks so I'm not sure how these period pains compare to real contractions?

Any thoughts / advice appreciated! Just wonderng if I should be getting excited or if this is going to pass uneventfully!

Gobbledigook Sat 30-Jun-07 11:06:51

No, I've had sweeps and felt as you describe but nothing happened until ages later.

I personally don't think they do anything except make you feel bloody uncomfortable. The baby will come when he/she is ready!

PregnantGrrrl Sat 30-Jun-07 22:19:21

i had a sweep with DS, and my waters broke that night, quickly followed by my first contractions. I think you'll know when they're contractions TBH!

Princesspowersparkle Sun 01-Jul-07 01:45:13

Hi hon- I was under the impression that sweeps will only really be effective if you're body is already well on the way. If its still got a way to go I think you are most likely to just get discomfort.
Sorry- I hope things happen for you soon (this will be me in 3 weeks probably!) X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now