Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bleeding

(11 Posts)
thelady Sat 30-Jun-07 10:34:57

I'm 17 weeks' pregnant. If I strain when doing a bm (even a little) there is light bleeding from the vagina. This happened at about 11 weeks as well, and I was told not to worry.

Easier said than done!

Can anyone provide info on what it's likely to be, and when I should make a fuss, please?

lulumama Sat 30-Jun-07 10:37:00

are you sure the bleeding is from you vagina and not your bottom?

a cervical erosion can produce bleeding, but usually after sex, not whilst on the loo, i think...

any bleeding from the vagina should be checked and anything sinister ruled out

thelady Sat 30-Jun-07 10:40:25

Oh yes, definitely vagina. I've had piles before, and I know what that looks like .

I'll phone the GP/midwife on Monday.

lulumama Sat 30-Jun-07 10:42:25

okey doke

sure you'll be ok

if gets heavier, or you have cramps , must speak to MW immediately

thelady Sat 30-Jun-07 10:45:42

Thanks!

bling1 Sat 30-Jun-07 12:49:40

Not sure if this is any consolation but a friend bled a bit throughout her pregnancy if she over-exerted herself. Sounds like a perfect excuse to put your feet up and get someone else to run around after you!

It's still worth speaking to the midwife though or asking for another scan to put your mind at rest.

thelady Sat 30-Jun-07 14:09:20

Sounds like a wonderful idea. Sadly, as a self-employed hotelier it will have to remain just that!

thelady Mon 02-Jul-07 15:12:28

Right: in case anyone else has this problem.

According to my GP it's something seen commonly in women on the pill or pregnant. The cells on the 'inside' of the cervix are of a less sturdy type than those on the outside, generally. During pregnancy, the less-sturdy cell type covers a greater area, and is often found around the 'hole' as well as inside it. Any increase in blood pressure can cause the skin to split a little and you get bleeding.

Most reassuring, especially when she drew me a picture!

For those of a technical bent, the sturdy cells are called squamous epithelium (like inside your mouth) and the less-sturdy ones are columnar epithelium (like inside your gut).

Pennypops Mon 02-Jul-07 17:23:48

You do still need to get this checked out pronto but I have cervical erosion and I bled on and off between week 20 and 25 and this sounds similar. Mine didn't seem to have any obvious triggers but it took them a while to check me for erosions and I worried a lot before I know.

Do yourself a favour and ask them to check for it - it will send your mind and rest.

lulumama Mon 02-Jul-07 17:25:01

it sounds like a cervical erosion

glad nothing sinister

thelady Mon 02-Jul-07 20:47:15

Sorry I wasn't more clear: the GP has checked it, and that's what it is. Not an erosion, tho' - she called it something else....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now