Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Worried

(8 Posts)
rascal1979 Fri 29-Jun-07 20:43:39

Hiya

I'm currently around 4-8 wks pregnant and we are babysitting a friend's child. He's got a throat infection and is on antibiotics.

Am I okay being around him or can throat infections be more serious if you are pregnant?

Think I may be being over cautious but going through that stage when all you do is worry!!

Thanks

Loopymumsy Fri 29-Jun-07 20:48:01

Message withdrawn

LIZS Fri 29-Jun-07 20:49:14

Many bacterial infections are just localised, so not communicable in themselves but if he's been on ab's for a day or so he is unlikely to be contagious anyway.

Bodkin Fri 29-Jun-07 20:49:47

Well, throat infections can be painful, and your immune system is lower in early pregnancy, and you can't take anything other than paracetamol, so it's not advisable purely from the point of view of your comfort, but it wouldn't harm the baby

beansprout Fri 29-Jun-07 20:50:38

It can take longer to shake off an infection when you are pregnant but there isn't any danger.

CountTo10 Fri 29-Jun-07 20:50:42

No it's fine although you just don't get to take any of the nice drugs to make you feel better!!!! Try not to worry.

rascal1979 Fri 29-Jun-07 20:53:09

Thank you!
dh thinks I'm being silly but feel better now - so many does and don'ts!
Child is in bed now - after a tantrum - ratty and poorly - poor thing doesn't know what to do with himself
Oh well all practice i suppose

Egg Fri 29-Jun-07 21:05:38

I had a bad cold a couple of weeks ago at 6 or 7 weeks pregnant and I felt rotten. Really really bad. However, this was mainly because I had to look after 16 month old "spirited" DS! If this is your first, you can at least lie down and get waited on hand and foot if you do come down with anything.

Incidentally, I did read somewhere that actual flu, as opposed to a cold / cough etc, can be dangerous in pregnancy, not sure where I read it though .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now