Talk

Advanced search

Baby changing bags

(31 Posts)
Springmummy19 Mon 07-Jan-19 11:39:59

Apologies if there is already a thread on this.

Which one do you guys have/ are you getting? I really wanted a tote and after weeks of searching I finally found 'the one' only to realise its a South African brand sad . I'm not a big fan of online shopping, specially when its something that I plan on making a lot of use out of and is a bit pricey, I cannot find anything online about a UK stockist so it is back to the drawing board...

Cookit Mon 07-Jan-19 11:58:02

I regret this from my first - the changing bag is literally just a big bag, you don’t need one advertised specifically as a changing bag. Ideally big enough for whatever you need - your normal handbag contents and a few nappies, a thin changing mat and a change of outfit - and also ideally quite hard wearing. A Longchamp pilage bag would have been a better choice than my storksak. Or seriously any kind of medium-large bag.

Merrydoula Mon 07-Jan-19 12:03:15

You need a big bag, enough space for a change of clothes, nappies, bottles. I just got a really good quality one from John Lewis in the sales, went down form £82 to £37! It's big enough for when little one hits toddler years and clothes takes up more space etc. Get a bag with compartments, have a look in John Lewis while sales are on

Springmummy19 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:44:05

@Cookit my problem is that 90% of my normal bags tend to have the strap come off because I fit more tan I need to grin in one maybe 2 compartments and then all gets squishes and..snap.

I wanted an actually changing bag that has the compartments for things and I'll probably use that as my handbag as well. I've not found one close to 'the one' but spending £199 on a changing bag I feel is a bit of a ridiculous purchase.

@Merrydoula I was going to get the bag in the Easter sales, even if baby arrives early I wont be needing a changing bag straight away but I wanted to have an idea of what I want and also to find one and see if it goes down in the sales.

paperplant Mon 07-Jan-19 13:02:42

I use a laptop backpack (which I had already). It has lots of compartments to store odd bits for baby changing as well as stuff for me. It's not particularly trendy but good for my back too!

CosyToast Mon 07-Jan-19 13:07:57

I got a fairly new storksak Elizabeth for £35 on eBay - great condition and it's a beautiful bag! I love it, the leather is gorgeous and there are plenty of different pockets. The best thing about it (for me) is that it looks like a normal handbag, not a changing bag

EssentialHummus Mon 07-Jan-19 13:08:21

Get a rucksack/backpack, job done. When it comes to baby stuff going down esoteric alleys is usually a sign of overthinking imo.

Springmummy19 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:17:02

@CosyToast I just googled that and its actually really nice

CosyToast Mon 07-Jan-19 13:26:19

@Springmummy19 thanks, I love it grin

UntilTheVeryEnd Mon 07-Jan-19 13:38:25

Cath Kidson does some really lovely options for changing bags. Currently in the sale too grin
Nice big bags with changing mat and separate tote bit as well if you wanted to use it. X

NotCopingWithThis Mon 07-Jan-19 14:17:41

Amazon rucksack style changing bag (£25ish, there are loads of ‘brands’ but they clearly all come from the same factory in China) performs admirably and looks nice too. Ours is yellow and navy. We always have a few cloth nappies (and often a dirty one or two!), a couple of wet bags, cloth wipes, at least two changes of outfit, a spare bib and a few muslins (sicky baby!) and have ample space.

I won’t spend a fortune. It’ll be slung in the back of your car, thrown on the floor etc.

RogueV Mon 07-Jan-19 14:22:06

I’ve just bought a Storksak convertible one - bit more than I wanted to spend but I hate patterened ones with ice creams and crap on.

storksak.com/product/poppy-luxe-black-scuba

redexpat Mon 07-Jan-19 14:30:18

If youre planning on bf then I would go with the ikea fold out one if they still make it.

Spudsandspanners Mon 07-Jan-19 17:28:10

I just used a ruck sack. Big enough to put everything in, including all my stuff. I did think about getting a changing bag, but wouldn't call it an essential item and bags I have already do the trick.

Sexnotgender Mon 07-Jan-19 17:30:12

I got mine from tk maxx.

PennyMordauntsLadyBrain Mon 07-Jan-19 17:38:01

I got a Cath Kidston one from their outlet store for about €30- it’s fine, and holds all the essentials.

I’d stay away from the leather ones to be honest- I’ve had a few bottles leak and bepanthen/ food pouch explosions so have thrown the bag in the washing machine, which might ruin a more expensive bag.

Expecting DC2 now and will need a bigger capacity bag- I’m just going to get a rucksack or maybe a non-branded rucksack style change bag from EBay.

BigusBumus Mon 07-Jan-19 17:43:56

I had a fancy matchy matchy with the pram one for my first baby an realised very quickly that it was a) naff and b) totally unnecessary. With subsequent babies I used a normal large handbag/tote with a rolled up hand towel, (for lying them on to change) 2 nappies, a few wipes in a zip lock bag, a muslin and the rest of my normal handbag stuff. Much easier and infinitely cooler.

BlueMoon33 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:44:46

My baby would not go in the pushchair for ages and I spent the first few months carrying him everywhere in a sling so the long strap bag soon got swapped for a rucksack to save my back.

Having a good back and my hands free is totally invaluable!!

Russell19 Mon 07-Jan-19 18:46:12

Just bought a skiphop one from John Lewis, I love it. Might not be what you want if you want a Toto but I wanted a 2 strap one as one strap hurts my shoulder. sad

www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/5047780659299164808?lsf=seller:80823,store:13137649104568766577,lsfqd:0&prds=oid:7672805067835637404&q=backpack&hl=en&ei=Qp4zXJ2NHvW11fAPrNiNiAQ&lsft=s_kwcid:2dxLIA,tmad:c,tmcampid:2&lsft=gclid:EAIaIQobChMIsfDtjKrc3wIV7b_tCh3arAlJEAQYCCABEgLH5_D_BwE

ReginaPhalange89 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:13:27

I've had a few Pink Lining bags and liked those. But recently just been using a decent sized handbag I got from primark with a cross body strap that I put across the buggy !

This time round I quite fancy getting a backpack style bag. I've seen a few people at classes with them and they look like they fit loads in.

TheSubtleKnifeAndFork Mon 07-Jan-19 19:30:04

I have a Lassig Neckline - bloody lovely bag and I used it as a laptop bag when I returned to work. I'm another one who can't stand bags with cupcakes and flowers on - this one looks like an oversized handbag. It's made of recycled plastic bottles and is well thought out in terms of storage. It is quite a heavy bag though, even when empty, which is the only negative.

Once I switched from pram to stroller I stopped using it and switched to a rucksack - as you can't hang changing bag off of an umbrella stroller. Backpack style is also far more practical when running around after a toddler. But I still feel like initial changing bag purchase was worthwhile as I will use it as bag for work/hand luggage for years.

Bailey20 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:55:46

I've just got one of these www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B7H6L9T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.36mCb4PVAJC5?tag=mumsnetforum-21

I can't even tell you how much I love this bag. Has a pocket in the side for wipes that you just pull out. Had it with me today and I had packed 5 vests, 2 sleepsuit, 3 changes of clothes (I have a sicky baby), 10 nappies, wipes, bags, breast pads, sudocream, a big bottle of gripe water, 2 bibs, breastfeeding cover, travel change mat, 2 lamaze toys, teething toys and rings, my things (phone, wallet, keys), and snacks, and still had room left. It also has insulated pockets in the front for bottles

Celebelly Mon 07-Jan-19 19:57:35

@Bailey20 I just bought the same one. It's like a tardis! I'm using it for my hospital bag and it fits so much in! I also really like the way it opens so wide and that there's a zip at the bottom to access stuff so you don't have to rummage and unpack things.

Bailey20 Mon 07-Jan-19 20:01:58

@Celebelly I call it my Mary Poppins bag grin that zip is a godsend! Especially when you have it strapped to the pushchair so you haven't got to faff unstrapping it and going through your bag in the middle of the street

AmateurParents Tue 08-Jan-19 14:37:59

Type Sunveno into amazon and youtube! Literally the best rucksack ever. Its stylish AND it has so many great compartments designed for having a baby/kids. My son is a toddler and we still use it for big days out. I will be buying another one for baby as they are so cheap but such good quality. They come in loads of colours as well and look like a nice backpack. Mine only cost £30 and you can fit sooooo much in them. I bought a cath kidston one originally for £60 and what a waste of money that was! It was not designed properly! Highly recommend these!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »