Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

swollen ankles like elephant trunks

(12 Posts)
bumbly Thu 28-Jun-07 14:47:44

just appeared out of the blue this week

am 35 1/2 weeks

no sign so far of high blood pressure or protein in urine (preeclampsia) - but these ankles won't go down at night and are like trees....

any one else have the same?

Nath Thu 28-Jun-07 14:50:14

My hands and ankles started swelling around 34 weeks, have to go everywhere in flip flops now (even when raining) as none of my shoes fit !!!!!

Still - not long to go now! (36+4!)

jabuti Thu 28-Jun-07 15:22:42

not looking pretty here either... swollen ankles and hands. showed midfwife yesterday and she said was all ok, just the expected. putting your feet up as much as you can is the only to minimize it, apparently.

(35 weeks)

jabuti Thu 28-Jun-07 15:24:59

and im having cravings again, that went away on the second trimester... anyone else?

Nath Thu 28-Jun-07 15:30:43

yep - me too!! eating like an absolute horse aswell, constantly hungry and eating loads in one sitting!!!

Alibobster Thu 28-Jun-07 22:45:15

Yes, it was terrible. Just as well it was summer as flip flops were the only things I could wear. Keep feet elevated as much as possible, it hepls a wee bit

bumbly Thu 28-Jun-07 23:21:43

ok - but was is actually causing the swelling of ankles...??

lymph? water? blood?

and is it bad for the LO?

will i get my svelt ankles back again post pregnancy?

tried lifting feet today well above head for first time...and it did help...wish i had done it before ...but our hous eis all boxes and no sofa!

Alibobster Fri 29-Jun-07 14:52:15

It was just water retention. The doctor did give me a thorough check over. It doesn't hurt baby bump and you will regain your ankles x

jabuti Fri 29-Jun-07 17:50:11

hi bumbly, dont forget we have 30% more blood inside of us at the moment, and this extra blood does go to the extremes (hands, feet) of our body after a whole day standing up, walking around = gravity.

the baby is oblivious to all of it, well protected inside of the womb.

bumbly Sun 01-Jul-07 10:30:06

phew thanks for the reassurance guys!!

been pretty worried about it all!!

TwinMommyToBe Sun 01-Jul-07 12:26:18

Hellow fellow mums! I, too have cankles (calves/ankles), and came across this site. I have been asking EVERYONE about this and have gotten advice from eating high antioxidant foods like blueberries to standing in at least three feet of water and/or swimming. My favorite: I asked a pharmacist (and mum of two) yesterday what would help and she simply said "Birth!" Blood volume actually increases up to 60% by the third trimester, and let's face it, the summer heat is against us too! Everyone is right on with the leg elevations. I also find that rubbing 100 pure coconut oil on my feet and soaking in a foot bath of epsom salt helps before putting them up. The coconut oil is a natural anti-inflammatory and the epsom salts relax the superficial muscles enough to bring some relief.

It may help to know that mother nature has everything covered, be assured that the increase of blood services the placenta and stores fluid as a protection against shock in case of excess blood loss during childbirth.

According to Dr. Brewer's "Preventing Nutritional Complications of Pregnancy":

"Maintaining this dramatically expanded blood volume is made possible by increased activity of the body's salt and water retention mechanisms, a higher intake of dietary salt, and an increase in the synthesis of albumin (a protein which attracts water into the circulation) by the liver.

A blood volume below the levels needed to meet the increased demands of pregnancy (a condition known as hypovolemia) threatens placental function and brings the mother into labor in a state bordering dehydration. Hypovolemia is a serious problem which is prevented when the mother's diet provides adequate amounts of protein, calories, salt, and all other essential nutrients."

Cheers all!

mamijacacalys Sun 01-Jul-07 14:17:15

Interesting TMTB. Often wondered why the swelling happened as had it during the last weeks of both my pg's too.
Agree that putting feet up helps.
Am pleased to report, bumbly, that your ankles will be svelte again, as mine now are.
Good luck with your babies everyone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: