Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I am coming down with a cold

(14 Posts)
PBirdy Tue 26-Jun-07 17:26:23

and I wish I wasn't at work - I feel like I could get down under my desk and sleep until the morning.

Other than wanting to moan, I also want to know - what is safe to take for a cold? So far I have a sore throat, bit of a temp, stuffy nose.

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 17:27:25

Take elder berry extract, it is safe for pregnancy and it reduces the length of a cold

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 17:28:03

otherwise I don't think you can take much except hot lemon and honey, and maybe some paracetamol if you have to

PBirdy Tue 26-Jun-07 17:34:58

thanks for your tips - I will look into the elderberry extract on the way home

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 17:40:29

You can get it from places that sell supplements, like health food shops etc

Hope you feel better soon

Princesspowersparkle Tue 26-Jun-07 18:24:37

My MW suggested lemon and honey in water with a paracetamol dissolved into it. Worth a try (although TBH I find homemade lemon and honey makes me feel better on its one). Other then that try up vit C intake to build up your defences, and maybe do a steam inhaler thing with olbus oil to clear the stuffy nose.

Hope you feel better soon. x

CorrieDale Tue 26-Jun-07 18:28:17

I'd steer clear of Olbas Oil. All menthol/pine oil/eucalyptus nose clearing vapours are contra-indicated in pregnancy now. I cried when I found that out this time. Literally cried.

I'm just starting one now which is a complete bugger because I'm 40 weeks and it's unlikely I'll go into labour until I've shifted it. H&B tomorrow for the elderberry I think!!!!

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 18:38:39

eek

what's up with menthol?

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 18:39:08

Btw please CHECK with your own doctors etc about the elder thing, but my health shop woman said it was fine

pistachio Tue 26-Jun-07 19:32:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PBirdy Wed 27-Jun-07 12:23:08

You are right - I don't know how you do it with other children to care for as well. My poor DH, I have just come over the worst of the morning sickness and now I have something new to complain about. When does the glowing stage start!?!?

pistachio Wed 27-Jun-07 12:44:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CorrieDale Thu 28-Jun-07 19:07:45

I was told by a Registrar that I should avoid Olbas Oil because the pharmacological (sp?) effects of the combined ingredients were unknown. And then I saw this which freaked me further. I don't know on what basis the advice is given - I suspect just the 'we haven't studied this yet and you're pregnant so you'd best not do it' basis. But since I'm seriously risk averse during pregnancy (recurrent miscarriage history), I've put it on my off limits list.

Holly29 Fri 29-Jun-07 18:21:20

Oooh, a message I can actually help with! I have had two horrific colds/hacking cough jobs since I got pg and it has been SO awful that both times I went into the chemist and almost cried and begged them to give me something - they both smugly said no way, paracetamol only.

Anyway, the result of this story is that I asked my obstetrician friend and he said that a big dose of Vitamin C really helps (you know, the ones you get in Boots which are like 10,000 times the normal daily dose) and I swear it has been fab. Every time I sneeze now I have one and it totally doesn't come on. it also helped my last cold clear up in about a tenth of the time of the first one.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now