Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Intense itching on right arm

(6 Posts)
cupcakesgalore Sun 24-Jun-07 14:36:25

is driving me crazy. Last night i couldn't sleep and it felt so itchy it was painful - like tiny hot pins going in. It's mainlyon my right forearm, around the inner elbow area and back of my hands. Do you think this is just hormonal or should i risk sounding like a neurotic hypochondriac and mention to someone. nothing seems to relieve the itching - it lasts for a few hrs. then goes and re-emerges sev. hours later.

Alfie72 Sun 24-Jun-07 16:45:04

Being a sunday- It's a pain but I would could call your midwifery team or go to your local accident and emergency/ walk in centre or give NHS direct a call and speak to one of their midwives for advice or It could be your body reacting to the increase of hormones, but perhaps it's an allergy.It's better to get some advice rather than sit and wait.

EcoGirl Sun 24-Jun-07 21:55:18

Hi
You should get this checked out if you haven't already. I had similiar symptoms in my first pregnancy and it can be a sign of obstetric cholestasis ?? (can't remember the spelling) which they need to monitor. More likely to be hormonal but they took me in for blood tests.

JetPeanut Sun 24-Jun-07 21:59:21

I had obstetric cholestasis. I think they say it's mostly itchy hands and feet, but my legs and arms itched too. Get it checked out. Can be very easily diagnosed with blood test.

sazzybee Sun 24-Jun-07 23:24:40

I don't think you need to go to A&E but I would go to your GP and get tested for OC to be on the safe side and they can probably give you something if it isn't.

I had massively itchy arms and legs and tum around 16-7 weeks or so and scratched myself until I bled. It wasn't OC fortunately and went away after about a month or so. Was vile though - I took piriton which helped a bit and put a hot water bottle filled with ice on my skin

bellabelly Sun 24-Jun-07 23:46:20

I would phone your midwife / labour ward first thing in the morning. I had terrible itchy rash a couple of weeks ago and they asked me to go in that SAME DAY to do the blood tests and rule out the possibility of Obstetric Cholestasis (which is rare but can have very serious consequences if not diagnosed quickly). Happily mine was not OC and has now pretty much cleared up with piriton (prescribed by hospital) and various home remedies. If you google PUPPP you'll find lots of info about a harmless but very annoying pregnancy condition which involves very itchy skin. Hope yours is just a harmless allergy and clears up very soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: