Talk

Advanced search

gasolione fumes exposure

(10 Posts)
solnechnaya Fri 07-Dec-18 17:46:49

Hi everyone. I had an accidental exposure to gasoline when i was almost 13 weeks pregnant. It sprayed on my arm and clothes while filling up the car. I took the clothes off but had to breathe the fumes for about 10-15 minutes on the way home before I could take a shower. Of course I called my ob and poison control but sill worried about the exposure. Any experience with something like that? Thanks.

WakeUpFromYourDreamAndScream Fri 07-Dec-18 17:49:26

You and baby will be fine. You breathe in all sorts of fumes every day just being outside. What did your OB say?

solnechnaya Fri 07-Dec-18 17:54:17

thanks. she said it's ok. But I have read that some components of gasoline can cross placenta and cause dna damage.

WhiteVixen Fri 07-Dec-18 18:02:12

I’d say your OB and Poison Control are going to be a heap more knowledgable than a bunch of strangers on the internet. I’d step away from Dr Google and trust their advice.

WakeUpFromYourDreamAndScream Fri 07-Dec-18 18:02:31

I'm no doctor but I would think it's prolonged exposure that poses a risk. 10-15 mins of just it being on your clothes and only a smallish amount I highly highly doubt will cause any harm to your baby. If your OB and poison control aren't concerned then you have to trust them, they are the experts. Pregnancy is a highly anxious time but please don't worry about this. thanks

HJE17 Fri 07-Dec-18 18:03:35

I agree with WhiteVixen! Plus... what could you do about it now anyway??? No sense in worrying.

Wolfiefan Fri 07-Dec-18 18:04:44

Where have you read that? Step away from the Google!
Are you a sufferer of anxiety usually?

solnechnaya Fri 07-Dec-18 19:10:31

Thanks for your replies. I try to stay away from Google but sometimes it doesn't work. Unfortunately , I lost 2 pregnancies in a row previously so now everything makes me anxious. I found some research on animals and such. So that is where I read that information. Trying to be so careful and things like that happen. Frustrating.

Wolfiefan Fri 07-Dec-18 19:18:23

Please don’t panic. I had a mmc and a mc too. And I refused to have a bath in case it was too hot or the bath soak had essential oils in. I was paranoid.
I caused neither of my losses.
If you feel overly anxious please mention it to your midwife and try to get some help from that. Good luck.

PotteringAlong Fri 07-Dec-18 19:21:10

Of course I called my ob and poison control

You say of course, but I genuinely don’t think this is something that would occur to people that they needed to do. I would talk to your midwife, but I would talk to them about your anxiety flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: