Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

restless legs - ahhhhhh!!!!!

(23 Posts)
maisym Sat 23-Jun-07 00:07:39

title says it all - restless legs!!!

Uki Sat 23-Jun-07 01:17:20

just hope it doesn't turn into leg cramps Maisy, Oh the pain!!!!

DivaSkyChick Sat 23-Jun-07 02:18:47

omg I wonder if that's what I have? I thought restless legs was when they shake uncontrollably. But lately, mine are just stressed out. from the knees down, they just want to curl up with tension. I can't effing sleep and it's past 2 am and I'm going crazy from it!

PurpleLostPrincess Sat 23-Jun-07 02:25:03

Bless you poor thing! I wish I could offer some sort of wisdom... I have to admit I had forgotten about the cramps, thankfully I haven't had them with this one (yet!). I have had itchy legs though...

Maybe you could have a quick bath...?

DivaSkyChick Sat 23-Jun-07 02:30:02

Just did some research on it - there are whole foundations for restless leg syndrome!
Thankfully for us, it should go away after we give birth.

Going to try a paracetemal (spell?). Maisym, you still up?

annobal Sat 23-Jun-07 07:28:40

MW told me that this was due to lack of calcium - try taking a supplement or increasing your intake of icecream

DivaSkyChick Sat 23-Jun-07 07:55:09

mmmmm ice cream

I'm sooo tired. Didn't sleep at all. Part of me wants to cry from frustration, the other part reminds I gotta keep a sense of humor, if I can't take one sleepless with a baby due in a few weeks, I'm doomed.

Doomed.

WhiteKnuckles Sat 23-Jun-07 09:03:21

Hi... I had terrible restless legs too in my 2 pregancies (am pregnant again now with twins ) and I was told to take magnesium. It really worked for me. I have checked with my obstetrician this time and she has said that a low dose of magnesium is fine to take in pregnancy, you may want to check with your midwife too, but it certainly helped with me. I used to get really agitated about going to bed for fear of the restless legs all night, so can really sympathise! Good luck x

Jojay Sat 23-Jun-07 09:17:38

Hi Maisym - I had horrible restless legs when I was pregnant too - ended up standing up to watch TV etc as I couldn't sit still.

Don't have any miracle cures I'm afraid, but to reassure you, it DID stop the minute I gave birth

beansprout Sat 23-Jun-07 09:32:49

I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago and a number of people suggested a banana and a glass of milk before bed.

PregnantGrrrl Sat 23-Jun-07 10:14:07

hate it, hate it, hate it!

don't get it in bed though, just sitting down- usually in front of the TV in the evening. It wasn't fun on a 9 1/2 hr flight either!

naturelover Sat 23-Jun-07 19:39:58

I've had this for several years, my mum also has it. It has worsened with pregnancy! Will try the magnesium and calcium.

maisym Sat 23-Jun-07 21:01:32

thanks for the tips

I did get a leg cramp this morning - woke me up!!!

babyblue2 Sat 23-Jun-07 21:05:59

I had restless legs too, milk before bed helped, so did lying on the floor with legs up against a wall (which was quite uncomfortable).

chipkid Sat 23-Jun-07 21:07:40

had this with both my pregnancies. Not troubled either before or after-so there is light at the end of the tunnel bloody irritating though!

maisym Sat 23-Jun-07 21:57:08

ahhhhhhhhh - restless legs starting!!!!

DivaSkyChick Sat 23-Jun-07 22:37:13

UGH me too. will buy magnesium tomorrow. this SUCKS!!!

Princesspowersparkle Sat 23-Jun-07 22:40:41

Apparently tonic water is supposed to help because of the Quinnine(???) in it. I tried this and it did help a bit, although tasted gross.
Second the milk and banana (i used to blend the banana in with the milk to make a milkshake.)
I went through this in the weeks of the 20s but haven't had it for a while now so fingers crossed it goes for you too!
PPS (36+1) XX

mrsmalumbas Sat 23-Jun-07 22:42:58

I have this too - not only when pg but at other times, especially when I am stressed or overtired. I find a dose or two of Rescue Remedy helps. Also lying with one foot in the air and circling it. If it's really bad I get out of bed and do a few squats - tiring the muscles seems to help relax them, oddly. I absolutley loathe flying long haul as I always get it and spend most of my time up and down to the loo as I just can't sit still.

DivaSkyChick Sun 24-Jun-07 09:43:33

Good morning!

So I slept thru my RLS last night by doing the following: two doses of rescue remedy, one over ripe banana, one glass of skim milk, one paracetemal.

Actually, after all that it started up again but got DH to massage my feet with gave me a few minutes peace. As I hadn't slept at all the night before, a few minutes was all I needed to fall asleep.

Had a GREAT night's sleep and woke up this morning without even a backache. Is that the rescue remedy? What's IN that stuff?

maisym Sun 24-Jun-07 22:00:37

dsc - happy you managed to fight off the rls!

I had terrible cramps in the back of my thighs - ahhh!!! Told myself I refused to have cramps and moved my legs around to try to stop it. Eventually by lieing on my right side my right leg got better and then my left leg when I lay on my left side. Was so tired - just wanted to sleep!

Tutter Sun 24-Jun-07 22:01:20

aaaagh

am currently halfwayt through a bottle of tonic water

got it baaad tonight

maisym Sun 24-Jun-07 23:42:26

salt is meant to help - hopefully crisps are the answer

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: