Talk

Advanced search

So if I am anaemic, can I avoid taking iron tablets?

(42 Posts)
Miaou Fri 22-Jun-07 17:02:57

Just had a call from the GP to ask me to go in and see him as my haemoglobin levels are too low (am 36 weeks pg). Really don't want to take iron tablets as I'm already constipated.

I feel totally fine in myself - plenty of energy etc. If I do all the right things (reduce tea, drink OJ, eat more spinach/broccoli), then would there be any harm to myself to not take it?

(PS I've heard about Spatone, but a) there is no Boots near us to sell it and b) it's flippin expensive )

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 17:04:49

How low?

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:05:40

you could floradix (sp?)- I took it and it didn't cause constipation

dried apricots good for iron too

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:06:25

best take something as it's not good to be anaemic when and after you give birth

jinxed Fri 22-Jun-07 17:06:52

Spatone!

2 sachets a day, doesnt cause bowel issues!

Desiderata Fri 22-Jun-07 17:07:02

My craving, when preggers, was for liquorice allsorts.

Throughout my pregnancy my iron levels were through the roof, and I couldn't work out why ... it turns out that liquorice is full of iron.

So if you like 'em ... go get yourself a bag!

jinxed Fri 22-Jun-07 17:07:26

its worth the money though, and local chemists might have it. I know sainsburys chemist have it.

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:08:03

desi...i'll have to remember that...was quite anaemic when i was preg...good excuse to eat sweeties too

reikizen Fri 22-Jun-07 17:09:40

Don't forget to take the spatone in orange juice as the Vitamin C helps your body to absorb the iron.

Bouquetsofdynomite Fri 22-Jun-07 17:14:46

Prunes dipped in plain chocolate.

Desiderata Fri 22-Jun-07 17:15:20

'Tis an excellent excuse, Cat

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:17:03

like a pg woman would need excuses to eat anything!
oh yes, was forgetting plain choc- excellent idea

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:19:41

but miaou please take something...
i don't think changing your diet will get your iron levels up that quickly tbh

Miaou Fri 22-Jun-07 17:19:53

Thanks for the suggestions (lol at prunes in chocolate)

Mmmmm - liquorice allsorts ....

Not sure how low yet until I go to see the GP on Tuesday (but it was previously at 107 (or 10.7))

I just object in principle to taking things [weirdo emoticon]

Tommy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:21:13

have just bought Spatone fron Boots.com - it's on 3 for 2 offer. If you buy 6, it will keep you going for a little while.
Buy a few nappies and maternity pads and stuff and you'll get free delivery as well

Miaou Fri 22-Jun-07 17:21:13

Hmmm yes did wonder about that, catissleepy.

Can't find any info about why I shouldn't let my iron levels get low ... anyone enlighten me?

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:21:31

what, drugs you mean?

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:22:54

cos you will lose blood at birth...then might get even more anaemic...might need transfusion...will spend next few weeks shaking like a leaf and out of breath at slightest exertion...

Miaou Fri 22-Jun-07 17:23:07

Well, anything really (hence the [weird emoticon] thing) - I know that iron tablets are hardly drugs! But having taken iron in pg previously I also know what it does to me and tbh that is a side effect I want to avoid at all costs.

Miaou Fri 22-Jun-07 17:23:37

Ahhh .... riiiiight ... thanks

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:23:54

but hopefully NOT of course

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:26:07

i know about constipation from iron tablets...it's BAD!!
but floradix doesn't do that to do, never took spatone but i imagine that's ok too

CatIsSleepy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:26:30

to you that should say, not to do

reikizen Fri 22-Jun-07 17:29:38

Low iron levels make it more likely that you will have a post partum bleed and harder for you to recover from any blood loss, plus anything that makes you more tired in pregnancy is to be avoided! But you are right to question it as there is a lot of debate about how low is low and whether women should be taking iron and at what level. If it is very, very low near to delivery it make be recommeded that you have an infusion.

tuppy Fri 22-Jun-07 17:38:03

Please take something ! I was a bit anaemic towards the end of each of my 4 pregnancies in spite of an excellent diet. Neither Spatone nor Floradix will make you constipated I promise. I've tried both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now