Talk

Advanced search

Can you go to 12 week scan and not have nuchal test?

(20 Posts)
blueberry71 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:50:56

In my last pregnancy we had the nuchal test at the 12 week scan. Our dd was being difficult and the sonographer could barely get the measurements. Due to this the measurements came back at 3.4 (just over the threshold) and this opened a can of worms. We had to have extra scans at a fetal medicine unit and it was all so horrible and scary. It then turned out that our dd was thankfully completely healthy and we were unofficially told that the original sonographer made a mistake. I'm now pregnant with dc2 and we are pretty adamant we don't want the nuchal teat again. Does this mean we won't be able to have the 12 week scan, or can you still have it and not have the test? Any advice would be really appreciated.

DunesOfSand Sat 11-Aug-18 20:54:42

It was several years ago, but yes, I declined the nucal part of screening. They don't do the bloods, and don't measure the nucal fold. Everything else is covered as a normal dating scan.
Congrats on your pregnancy

Thesearmsofmine Sat 11-Aug-18 20:55:13

Yes you can, I didn’t have it with my older two children but did with my youngest.

SoyDora Sat 11-Aug-18 20:55:51

Yes you can decline the nuchal test and just have the dating scan.

BloodyWorried Sat 11-Aug-18 20:57:59

Yes and be clear if you don’t want measurements. I declined but they told me measurements were fine.

Stephisaur Sat 11-Aug-18 20:58:51

I was asked at both my booking appointment and the scan whether I wanted the screening.

I said yes, but it would be easy to opt out (my SIL did)

Moreisnnogedag Sat 11-Aug-18 21:00:43

Absolutely. I declined both bloods and nuchal tests on both my sons. For my first the midwife tried to get me to change my mind (including enlisting my DH) but for my second my refusal was just accepted.

CottonSock Sat 11-Aug-18 21:01:59

I declined and did get queried lots of times but no issue

MoseShrute Sat 11-Aug-18 21:02:50

As long as you dont mind not knowing in advance that there may be something wrong with your baby, then it's your choice. Personally l wouldnt want any surprises....

Sweetiedarlingletmein Sat 11-Aug-18 21:03:33

Absolutely. I declined the tests (I had the NIPT privately) and actually had my 12 week scan early (10+2) because I declined.

HouseOfSix Sat 11-Aug-18 21:03:44

It's more of an 'opt-in' type test here. I had it both times but my sister opted out both times she was pregnant.

Whichoneisit Sat 11-Aug-18 21:04:06

Yes. I declined the nuchal because I’d had a nifty test. They just dated the pregnancy instead.

HouseOfSix Sat 11-Aug-18 21:08:55

As long as you dont mind not knowing in advance that there may be something wrong with your baby, then it's your choice. Personally l wouldnt want any surprises...

Really? I had the nuchal test and the results were a chance of 1 in 100,000 of my son havIng Down's Syndrome. He was born with two other different conditions, neither of which were picked up, nor likely could have been picked up during any screening.

MadeForThis Sat 11-Aug-18 21:13:46

The testing isn't even offered in Northern Ireland. You would have to pay for the testing privately.

MoseShrute Sat 11-Aug-18 21:14:46

Testing obviously cant pick up all abnormalities, but it does pick up some

blueberry71 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:24:05

Thanks everyone. We may look into having the harmony test instead. We just don't want to have the trauma we had with our dd. We also lost our first baby at 6 months pregnant due to a chord accident, so we don't want to go through any unnecessary stress again. X

zzzzz Sat 11-Aug-18 21:30:15

Tests don’t stop the kind of “surprises” you are thinking of. If you really “mind” best not to have children or do anything else really.

Bringonspring Sat 11-Aug-18 21:33:44

We had the harmony test, it’s not cheap but totally worth it for knowing the results for the conditions in tests against. You also get the results a lot earlier so gives you time to consider options.

blueberry71 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:43:12

@Bringonspring thank you. We will definitely look into that.

Darkstar4855 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:00:32

We declined it because we had the Harmony test instead - I am 38 so decided we would rather pay for the increased accuracy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: