Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to Sleepyhead Deluxe?

(24 Posts)
Charlotte1x Sat 11-Aug-18 15:44:41

Hi all. Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative to the sleepyhead deluxe? £130 seems a bit steep but they do seem to have really good reviews so I’m just wondering if there’s an alternative that’s as good?

Lynsey19 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:36:52

I’ve seen online something called a poddlepod which looks similar and also cheaper x

songbirdnumber1 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:48:39

Hi we've bought a Purflo nest it looks lovely but not used it yet but read good reviews about it being a heater alternative xx

songbirdnumber1 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:48:51

Cheaper! X

Stripeyzigzag Sat 11-Aug-18 16:49:52

Secondhand one on eBay or gumtree?

mommybear1 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:02:27

No alternatives I'm afraid if you want to use it for overnight sleeping.

Eggoispreggo Sat 11-Aug-18 18:48:03

I've just heard on another thread that Aldi are doing their own version in their baby event this Thursday? I've not seen it yet but if it looks any good I'm going to get one smile apparently you can order them online from tomorrow on the website x

Charlotte1x Sat 11-Aug-18 21:40:01

Thanks everyone! X

moleeye Wed 15-Aug-18 10:23:45

We bought a poddlepod for my DD and she loved it. Now preg with number two and will be dusting it off 😊

Markygirl1995 Sun 19-Aug-18 19:35:20

We brought one from Aldi yesterday for £20 looks worth it whether it'll be ok who knows find out October!

laurG Sun 19-Aug-18 19:39:26

Pure flo works well x

seeingdots Sun 19-Aug-18 20:26:55

We used a purflo with our first and will use it again with this one if he/she is similarly cot averse.

cookielove Sun 19-Aug-18 20:30:58

Can the Aldi one be used overnight?

cookielove Sun 19-Aug-18 20:36:52

Just double checked and it can't.

LucyLou19 Sun 19-Aug-18 22:11:49

Plenty of alternatives but none suitable for overnight sleeping. The sleepyhead is amazing we’ve bought one for our new addition coming along soon and according to my friends they really are worth every single penny xx

Sandstormbrewing Sun 19-Aug-18 22:20:41

Sleepyhead is the only one suitable for overnight. But you can buy them second hand as they can be fully machine washed.

Hogtini Sun 19-Aug-18 22:22:40

Aldi have one in their baby event, looks good.

Clairee84 Sun 19-Aug-18 22:46:07

I recently bought a secondhand sleepyhead and washed all parts. I noticed there is a very small bump in the middle of the mattress so considering buying new after all.

TheCornishPickle Mon 20-Aug-18 20:33:08

Hate to say it but the Sleepyhead only says it’s suitable for toddlers to sleep in overnight, not for babies. It’s not recommended for unsupervised sleeping and is not endorsed by the Lullaby Trust.

louella99 Tue 21-Aug-18 08:10:27

As above, I was also confused about PPs saying the Sleepyhead is approved for overnight sleeping. For babies, the Sleepyhead guidance clearly states supervised naps only.

Patienceofatoddler Tue 21-Aug-18 08:42:48

Check out the Lullaby Trust safe sleep guidelines for reducing the risks of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).

https://www.lullabytrust.org.uk

The safest cot is a empty cot with baby sleeping on their back.

Just as your not meant to use second hand mattresses I would have thought the same risks apply to buying second hand items such as these.

Sandstormbrewing Tue 21-Aug-18 11:03:12

louella99 when I had DS (2.5yo) the sleepyhead website clearly stated it was safe for overnight sleeping as long as babies under 6 months were in the same room as an adult. They may well have revised that advice but I've had no reason to look for it again!

It's fine saying lullaby trust says X but babies don't read the guidance and if you have a baby who will not be put down you do what you can.

Stuckforthefourthtime Tue 21-Aug-18 11:06:19

None of them are considered safe for overnight sleeping (or unattended sleeping) by the lullaby trust, or other medical bodies.
The sides are meant to be breathable, but if you try putting your mouth to one any breathing through for any length of time, you'd struggle - but that's exactly what can happen with a deep sleeping baby who slips or falls to one side. This is why the official groups would not recommend these.
I think they can be great for day naps but on mumsnet they get recommended for things that are very hard to justify as safe.

Patienceofatoddler Tue 21-Aug-18 13:14:08

Sleepyheads own website states 'Sleepyhead is safe to use for overnight sleep as long as it is used in a childsafe and supervised environment'

Now what is 'childsafe'?!?! Nice comforting buzz word there with no real meaning.

Supervised... well who sits awake all night watching their baby?!?

Yes I linked to the Lullaby Trust as they have researched infant deaths and safe sleeping in order to reduce infant deaths. It is statistically proven that newborns are safer sleeping in a empty cot.

For anyone struggling with a baby who is very hard to settled / sleep then it's worth reading up on the 4th trimester.

I would just suggest anyone thinking of adding anything to an infants cot to first do their own research on safe sleeping and not rely on the nice cosy wording the manufacturers use to advertise such products or what strangers claim is safe online.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: