Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Togs and sleep bags for newborns at christmas?

(7 Posts)
peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 14:07:37

How many togs???

MorrisDancingViv Sat 11-Aug-18 14:14:54

In general a winter sleeping bag will be 3.5 tog with the rest 2.5 tog but as to what to use depends on the temperature in your house. When my dd was 6 months we struggled to get our house above 13 degrees despite the heating being on so she was also in a cardigan with a blanket on top. Grobag website is good for checking what tog.

Be aware that many sleeping bags have a minimum weight so a newborn has a good chance of being too small (they can slip down if head and arm holes aren't tight enough). I'm also due at Xmas, I'm not planning on using sleeping bags for the first few weeks, I prefer blankets at that stage.

MorrisDancingViv Sat 11-Aug-18 14:16:04

www.gro-store.com/guides/grobag

Narya Sat 11-Aug-18 14:20:56

We've got a new build house so double glazed, good insulation. 2.5 tog was fine for our january baby. If your house gets really cold overnight you might need a 3.5. Then there are 1 or even 0.5 tog for the summer.

As pp said they have a lower weight limit for baby - we used the Grosnug from about 10 days old with no trouble as we had a wriggly baby and blankets turned into a real faff.

ParkheadParadise Sat 11-Aug-18 14:24:01

Dd2 was a December new born. We didn't use sleeping bags until she was 2mths. She was a tiny baby.
We Used blankets.
Her bags were all 2.5 togs.

dementedpixie Sat 11-Aug-18 14:26:25

3.5tog didn't exist when mine were babies! It depends how cold your bedrooms get too. Mine had 2.5tog in winter and 1tog in summer. We got a 0.5tog when we went abroad too.

peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 17:27:00

Thabk you all that is super useful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: