Talk

Advanced search

PANIC BUYS mothercare closing down sale

(40 Posts)
peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 10:54:36

Guys! I'm in a panic! My kinda local massive mothercare is having a closing down sale today!!!

What should I do? I haven't even chosen a pushchair or cot or anything. I'm in a massive panic buy situation!

Please advise! I'm 21 weeks.

sparkles212 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:31:33

Which Mothercare is it? My local Mothercare is supposed to be closing down soon but that's an outlet rather than a proper store so you have to drop on anyway. That's the one in Rotherham.

I wouldn't panic buy too much in the line of clothes unless you're getting bigger sizes for when baby is older. I'm already starting to regret getting the first time mum buyers bug early on and buying loads of 0-3 months when I'm seeing how much people have already given us and how much more we'll likely get as gifts! She'll never wear everything. As for other stuff, I'll be watching this thread as I've bought sod all else and don't know where to start!

mumofone234 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:37:11

I’d definitely recommend getting a few bits if they’re on sale as you’ll need them at some point anyway - but focus on the things that are bigger and normally expensive, and forget about all the silly little bits that you can get later on. So maybe just have a good think about a cot, pram and car seat (if you need one). The website has helpful reviews, so look there and go with an informed idea of what you really want, rather than browsing. I’d definitely recommend considering a Next2Me cot for the first six months if they’re on sale. My DS wouldn’t sleep in anything else initially (Moses basket was a waste of money).

Bumblealong1 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:38:35

Agreed on the clothes. Don’t buy much for the first few months. Everyone who gave us a present give us clothing.
A sling?
A baby gym?
Some bottles?
A buggy? (After extensive research we went for the babyzen yo yo. We love it. As does everyone I know who has it. It’s very small- looks tiny compared to others. But very light, compact, and nifty for getting around).
- lansinoh cream for breastfeeding. A live saver in the first few weeks!
- maternity pads. Needed for hospital bag and ensuing weeks.

But don’t panic buy. Check their reduction on price with those online.

Bumblealong1 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:39:03

Oh and a car seat! Also essential...

Fatted Sat 11-Aug-18 11:39:57

I have 2 kids and have never bought anything from mothercare ever!

Oh, actually maybe some toys from the ELC bit.

You don't need to panic buy especially big purchases like prams etc. If they're closing down you don't want to have something you can't take back if there is an issue.

peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 12:16:12

I have my fingers crossed for a cheap silvercross!

peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 14:00:08

All big things are 10% off. Not sure I have the nerve to buy a pram without DH but snuzpod 10%off, maybe???

HeyDolly Sat 11-Aug-18 14:03:14

10% off is hardly anything. You’ll probably find an even cheaper snuzpod elsewhere if you google online.

ReginaPhalange89 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:06:21

I'd double check other places before you buy things (the bigger bits ). 10% off isn't a massive amount , considering Mothercare is sometimes more expensive anyway.
But I'd definitely be tempted to buy a few bits if there's a decent sale !

JurassicAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 14:24:52

Our local one is closing too, we just went in for a look and didn't get anything as it's still £££ at 10% or 20% off (we also noticed that lots of things had sticker marks on them from where the original sale sticker had been taken off, one clearly used to say "was £32 now £22" that had been badly peeled off and it now has 20% off so is actually more expensive!)
Tkmaxx is surprisingly good for baby stuff cheaply.

peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 14:32:32

My biggest problem is I don't know what is a reasonable price, I just think baby will love that!

Charlottejade89 Sat 11-Aug-18 15:15:05

my LO is 2.5 weeks old and apart from a few bits of clothes we didn't buy anything in Mothercare. You can get the same branded stuff much cheaper in other places. For big items such as pram, car seats etc have a look at online4baby.com there's a huge range of products on there to suit all budgets x

DaisyLand Sat 11-Aug-18 15:19:24

Every now and again mothercare online does a 10% discount. I’d not bother about it to be honest. Also think that if you buy something expensive and then something goes wrong what would you have to do to get it fixed again as you bought it in the shop that has closed down

Sammio Sat 11-Aug-18 15:30:51

Don’t panic buy for 10% off. You can still order online from mothercare and they often have 10% or more off as a promotion.
I’d maybe pick up a few vests or sleep suits, but a pram and car seat need a lot more thought, and your DP might want to look with you, I know mine did.

Celebelly Sat 11-Aug-18 15:38:03

I literally just got an email from them with a bunch of sale stuff in, including 10% on pushchairs.

Make a list and check prices at other outlets online, so you know if you're actually saving money or not. It's easy to see 10% off and assume you're getting a good deal, but if it's 10% off something that costs 15% elsewhere...

Grumpos Sat 11-Aug-18 16:14:32

Boots had snuzpods 20£ off last weekend so that’s already cheaper than the 10%. Plus you get your 10 parenting points for every £ spent.
Mothercare is so overpriced that unless they are slashing prices by 30/40% you’ll still get cheaper online.

I bought some disposable knickers for after delivery in there last week, thinking 2.25 for 5 pairs was a bargain, literally walked next door to Asda Home and got the same for £1. Also the mothercare didn’t fit, despite me going for a large when I’m not. They’ve gone in the bin.

peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 16:30:20

Everyone was really disappointed by the 10% off, it was 20% off kids clothes and 25% off maternity.

I can really see why mothercare is going out of business, it is incredibly expensive. I mean there were clothes that were originally priced in line with JoJos and no where near that quality.

I have to say though that I love the Jules Oliver little bird collection. I normally hate celebrity stuff. I'm having a boy though and shops seem full of grey and dark blue which is so boring. Her stuff is so 70s retro colours and rainbows! I'm having a rainbow baby so that suits me smile

I spent £137 in the end. I will put up a picture of my stuff. I only regret the breastfeeding pillow.

peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 16:38:50

Little bird collection

peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 16:41:44

Nursing/maternity nighties, sleepsuits and products I've heard about on mumsnet

peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 16:44:50

I'm super excited about the anticipated comfort brought to me by the wedge pillow. The breast feeding pillow though was £35 with just 10% off, I think that may have been a mistake!

peachesarenom Sat 11-Aug-18 16:47:45

Do you think I managed to nab any bargains?

ReginaPhalange89 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:48:05

Aw I love the rainbow sleepsuit that's adorable

Yeah I wouldn't have spent that on the pillow ! I'm sure I got mine for close to £20!

ReginaPhalange89 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:50:54

I think their maternity wear is ridiculously over priced btw, and not even nice (usually pretty boring, plain stuff). ive never bought anything for myself for either pregnancy.

kirinm Sat 11-Aug-18 17:00:23

If it helps, it was cheaper for us to buy our pram / pushchair at John Lewis than mothercare. I don't think 10% is all that much of a discount.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: